Running thread 2022

Another 20.34 5k today. I'm beginning to dream of the sub 20 again. 😂
Are you doing weekly sessions workouts to achieve it? I hovered around that for quite a while not realising I wasn't doing appropriate training to bring it down. In about 4-6 weeks the appropriate sessions work out once per week (think one week I did x2 sessions) done the job and I smashed PB from 20:22 to 19:35. That was Sunderland City 5k last year, have kept them up and am doing work outs in line / targeting 18:45 now

Last edited:

Are you doing weekly sessions workouts to achieve it? I hovered around that for quite a while not realising I wasn't doing appropriate training to bring it down. In about 4-6 weeks the appropriate sessions work out once per week done the job and I smashed PB from 20:22 to 19:35. That was Sunderland City 5k last year, have kept them up and am doing work outs in line / targeting 18:45 now
Not doing anything but going running a bit more tbh mate. No pace work or owt but just out fairly regularly jogging back from work and that (6k). It's took me by surprise like.

Not doing anything but going running a bit more tbh mate. No pace work or owt but just out fairly regularly jogging back from work and that (6k). It's took me by surprise like.
Sounds like once per week doing a speed workout / 5k session work out will get you the sub 20 pretty quickly then if you're not doing them now 👍 purely using my own experience.

Something along the lines of 1KM at your target 5K pace followed by 90sec slow jog to recover then repeat another 5 times or run hard up a hill for 400metres then jog back down 12 times. Mix it up by changing the distances & recovery jogs or the gradient of the hill sprints.
Yeah something like this, there’s lots of variations you can do and you can Google for 5k and 10k sessions aimed at a target pace.

A really simple one is what @Daydream Believer has mentioned.

1km-2km warm up easy pace.
X5 1km reps at target 5km pace, with 90 seconds rest between.
1-2km warm down easy pace.

A few of those, possibly with some progression by reducing rest time or adding a rep etc. week on week, and you’ll be good for your time after 4 weeks I would say 👍 only need to do one of these types of workout per week.

I’ve done x12 400m reps as an alternative to this, and basically any equivalent with different distance / reps / rest etc.

They feel solid when you’re doing them but makes the difference

Last edited:
Seem to have completely lost my mental edge since the Sunderland half. Still forcing myself out fairly regularly but distance and pace have dropped off massively. Just can’t seem to push myself at all.

Back