Running thread 2022

It shouldn't mate, I was in the Army and was part of the athletics team and then ran for Sunderland Harriers for a season after I came out, I've always kept myself fit.

But anyone who can get out and run 5k in any time deserves credit.

I'm wowed by the marathon being completed in under 2 hours, under 3 minutes a kilometer, I couldn't sprint that fast, never mind for 42 kilometers.

Don't run for anyone else except yourself, and if you can find a group to run with and support and inspire you even better.

BTW I was shit at football, ask @D.A

Thanks mate, good message and advice

Thanks mate, good message and advice
I try to follow the 80% 20% rule, do 4 runs at a slow pace then one run where I pick up the pace at each kilometer.

There's nother better than a slow recovery run, just to shake off the cobwebs but running way slower than your capable of, it also helps build up stamina believe it or not.

Did a 5k today. Actually was a PB, 27 mins, but felt so dizzy n faint at the end and was not enjoyable

Not good. Reckon just need to slow pace down? The only way I am gonna keep this is up is by it being semi enjoyable
I attempted to start running not long before the first lockdown. I was always aiming for a PB and it took away a lot of the enjoyment out of it after a while as it isn’t really achievable and i’d end up sacking it off.
I started again in January last year, I’ll occasionally still push for one now but don’t focus on it too much. I’ve found pushing for longer distances rather than faster times is more beneficial and naturally improves pace over shorter distances anyway.
When I first started I was doing 5k in 35 minutes plus. My PB is now 23:20, not the quickest but even taking it easier i’m still doing 5k round the 25 minute mark and 10k comfortably under an hour. Still plenty of room to improve times but overall I find it more enjoyable and easier to stick to if i’m not caning it every time I go out.

Last edited:
I try to follow the 80% 20% rule, do 4 runs at a slow pace then one run where I pick up the pace at each kilometer.

There's nother better than a slow recovery run, just to shake off the cobwebs but running way slower than your capable of, it also helps build up stamina believe it or not.

Yeah I think this is a key point I’ve missed. I’m trying to run faster everytime. Although I do finish I’m just about dead by the end and not enjoying it. Which isn’t the point. My legs n that are ok as I’m a hiker but it’s just my breathing etc.

That’s a good idea I’ll try, you think every other day or what?
I attempted to start running not long before the first lockdown. I was always aiming for a PB and it took away a lot of the enjoyment out of it after a while as it isn’t really achievable and i’d end up sacking it off.
I started again in January last year, I’ll occasionally still push for one now but don’t focus on it too much. I’ve found pushing for longer distances rather than faster times is more beneficial and naturally improves pace over shorter distances anyway.
When I first started I was doing 5k in 35 minutes plus. My PB is now 23:20, not the quickest but even taking it easier i’m still doing 5k round the 25 minute mark and 10k comfortably under an hour. Still plenty of room to improve times but overall I find it more enjoyable and easier to stick to if i’m not caning it every time I go out.

This is really interesting, that’s class improvement that mate.

I think you’re saying what everyone else is aye, spot on. I’ll try for distances, slowly,

I have ran 20km before, albeit very slowly.

Last edited:
Yeah I think this is a key point I’ve missed. I’m trying to run faster everytime. Although I do finish I’m just about dead by the end and not enjoying it. Which isn’t the point. My legs n that are ok as I’m a hiker but it’s just my breathing etc.

That’s a good idea I’ll try, you think every other day or what?

Every other day is fine. Sometimes you can do your slow recovery run after your fast day, at first you think I'm never going to do it, but once you get started and get your breathing steady it's ok, but it needs to be slow and steady and get the distance under your belt.

It shouldn't mate, I was in the Army and was part of the athletics team and then ran for Sunderland Harriers for a season after I came out, I've always kept myself fit.

I'm wowed by the marathon being completed in under 2 hours, under 3 minutes a kilometer, I couldn't sprint that fast, never mind for 42 kilometers.

Don't run for anyone else except yourself, and if you can find a group to run with and support and inspire you even better.

Ah you weren't shit :lol: I'm not very good!
Doing Manchester Marathon first weekend of April.

Forgot how tough a slog the training runs are. Did a half marathon on Sunday and was bored shitless.
I love long runs, a way to forget about everything. Always feel good afterwards.

I can second this @The Rat

I slowed it down today. Like 5 mins slower overall, probs went too slow at the start then really ran the last 2km

So much more enjoyable and I feel good endorphins right now rather than just feeling knackered and miserable

Good advice from posters above thanks

Think I’ll be able to do another tomorrow now at that pace
Edit:

I want to buy some noise cancelling headphones, I was thinking AirPodPros, you think they will be OK to run in?

Last edited:
I slowed it down today. Like 5 mins slower overall, probs went too slow at the start then really ran the last 2km

So much more enjoyable and I feel good endorphins right now rather than just feeling knackered and miserable

I run 5 times a week and only one of those is fast or strenuous, came on quite a bit since I’ve got a proper plan.

Easy runs, one long run, one “session” which is running talk for speed & intervals, usually with recovery periods.

Have got much better 👍

Edit:

I want to buy some noise cancelling headphones, I was thinking AirPodPros, you think they will be OK to run in?

My 10k time in a race is normally about 53 minutes, but I rarely run 10k in under an hour in training. I’ll run slightly faster than race pace for 3 x 3km with a short recovery. You’ll gain a lot more fitness running consistently over a month, than you will killing yourself in 1 run and being nackered for a week.

I have done, they work fine. I ended up getting Powerbeats Pro as I was petrified of them falling out. The beats have the hooks. I sweat a lot so they fall out easier.

Yeah that is what I am worried about, was gonna buy some, my ears not the best for fitting headphones either, wonder if you can buy attachments

Last edited:
I have done, they work fine. I ended up getting Powerbeats Pro as I was petrified of them falling out. The beats have the hooks. I sweat a lot so they fall out easier.
Powerbeats Pro completely wireless we’re an expensive outlay for me but 3 years later they’re still excellent… you can get very good wireless headphones / hooked headphones now though, don’t need to spend that money.

Powerbeats Pro completely wireless we’re an expensive outlay for me but 3 years later they’re still excellent… you can get very good wireless headphones / hooked headphones now though, don’t need to spend that money.

Aye I’ve had mine about a year. Got them in the sale anarl, about £100 off.

Same here. Mrs got me pair two years ago. Best running headphones I've had.

Back