Running thread 2022

I want to do one next year and had aimed for the Manchester or Edinburgh events.

I will have a look further into it in the new year.

I am registered for the Heaton Harriers Memorial 10k on Sunday and looking at last years results I am quite worried about how fast it is.

My best 10k time this year is 48 minutes and would have placed me 309th out of 382.

The winning time was 28:28 and last place came in at 1:15.
That's a good time, don't worry.
Got the Edinburgh marathon booked for next year. It’ll be my first and probably last marathon :lol:.
I’m thinking about doing the Sunderland half but it might be a little close before Edinburgh.
Imo, Sunderland is perfect practice

Got the Edinburgh marathon booked for next year. It’ll be my first and probably last marathon :lol:.
I’m thinking about doing the Sunderland half but it might be a little close before Edinburgh.

It's fine. Most years it's 2 weeks before but this year & next its 3 I do Sunderland ½ then the Pier to Pier most years as part of my taper for Edinburgh.

Would be canny training. It's close enough to taper off I'd say. Was going to do Edinburgh but the hotel costs are silly so plumped for Leeds instead

Would be canny training. It's close enough to taper off I'd say. Was going to do Edinburgh but the hotel costs are silly so plumped for Leeds instead

I normally stay somewhere about an hour from Musselburgh (Less if I find somewhere reasonable) then drive to as close as I can get to the finish on the morning & get the bus to the start.

I normally stay somewhere about an hour from Musselburgh (Less if I find somewhere reasonable) then drive to as close as I can get to the finish on the morning & get the bus to the start.
Was hoping to get train. Mind any train journeys a risk at present. Think I could drive to both I've entered and be close to start. Just got to get back to training ASAP.

North Tyneside 10k on April 9th just gone on sale.

Think it's Easter Sunday, but sells out quite quickly
Just entered this. Bargain when you've been paying £30 for the great run 10k.
On the flip side just paid £61 for the great north run. They also offering the 5k for £25

Last edited:

On the flip side just paid £61 for the great north run. They also offering the 5k for £25
Anything by the gnr organisers is ridiculously priced. I stopped running in their events when they shafted shields with the gnr. I'd already entered the changed route and couldn't defer and they wouldn't let us. I vowed at that point they'd not get another penny from me. Concentrated on longer runs and it's more enjoyable

Which plan are you doing and for when @DonaldDownTheWing. I think I'm going with the London marathon intermediate one (for London in April) and it's not actually as intense as I thought it would be. With that in mind I'm trying to maintain some distance (I did my first ever half in October) by doing a long run around 9-10 miles two weeks out of 3 (along with 3 shorter runs midweek) and then need to step it up and follow the plan in Jan/Feb. I've started doing my long run on a sat and tagging parkrun on the end which helps - spennymoor tomorrow.

Which plan are you doing and for when @DonaldDownTheWing. I think I'm going with the London marathon intermediate one (for London in April) and it's not actually as intense as I thought it would be. With that in mind I'm trying to maintain some distance (I did my first ever half in October) by doing a long run around 9-10 miles two weeks out of 3 (along with 3 shorter runs midweek) and then need to step it up and follow the plan in Jan/Feb. I've started doing my long run on a sat and tagging parkrun on the end which helps - spennymoor tomorrow.

Aye that’s the one I’m doing mate, off the London marathon website.

I haven’t actually signed up for an event yet. The last 3 years half marathons have always been the furthest I’ve gone, but I’m curious to see how far I can get. I’m looking to do an event in April may time, but I want to build my endurance in general ahead of cycling the NC500 & doing a 60km ultra in the lakes.

Aye that’s the one I’m doing mate, off the London marathon website.

I haven’t actually signed up for an event yet. The last 3 years half marathons have always been the furthest I’ve gone, but I’m curious to see how far I can get. I’m looking to do an event in April may time, but I want to build my endurance in general ahead of cycling the NC500 & doing a 60km ultra in the lakes.
Wow you're not doing things by half....half marathon up to 60km in the lake District. Good luck. I keep getting ultras flash up on FB. Glasgow to Edinburgh and Carlisle to Newcastle pop up often. I wouldn't know where to start and they are so expensive. Great achievement though.

Wow you're not doing things by half....half marathon up to 60km in the lake District. Good luck. I keep getting ultras flash up on FB. Glasgow to Edinburgh and Carlisle to Newcastle pop up often. I wouldn't know where to start and they are so expensive. Great achievement though.

I’ll never be fast so I thought I’ll just go further😂

Been making some decent progress recently bringing times down on shorter runs and increasing my distance on longer runs. Now wiped out with a cold. Absolutely fed up :lol:

Fastest parkrun this morning at 31:03. Still not broke 31m but I'll get there. Training is focused on distance at minute but my time is just coming down as I naturally get fitter. After the marathon my target shall be to break 30mins....Garmin tells me I can do a 5k in 28mins.....no idea where it gets that from🤣

Fastest parkrun this morning at 31:03. Still not broke 31m but I'll get there. Training is focused on distance at minute but my time is just coming down as I naturally get fitter. After the marathon my target shall be to break 30mins....Garmin tells me I can do a 5k in 28mins.....no idea where it gets that from🤣

Which park run?

Back