Running thread 2021

Has your training changed? My times are improving with session workouts and a proper plan, instead of going through the motions like I did for ages. If you've stopped doing harder workouts then that might be coming into the frame - and if your footy has replaced running that will make an impact, if it's on top then it could be less recovery.

My guess is your training activity week-to-week needs adjusting
More than likely, I may have to have a rest day once a week rather than once a month. I was doing 2 10ks and a 5k a week (as well as spinning, elliptical and leg strength stuff) before footy started, since footy I still do that but I always take it easy on the 5k and almost use it as a recovery run, perhaps I need to go back to going at that full pelt. Just genuinely surprised at how much slower I've got over a reasonably short period, it's noticeable from mile 1 of any run I do.

The issue is that I was running PBs or near PBs back in May, but now I'm running times that are a lot slower than normal and I don't know why exactly. For example just yesterday I ran a 47:47, but back in June I ran a 45:58 on the same route and my best for that route is 44:45 so I seem to be declining rapidly. As I said, the only thing that's changed is playing footy regularly but I'm just surprised that it would have that much of a negative effect.
You can't run pbs all the time.

Down the Saturn Running event in Durham this morning, done 5 laps of the course for 26.9km in 2h15m.
Down the Saturn Running event in Durham this morning, done 5 laps of the course for 26.9km in 2h15m.
Another 6km covered at 5aside tonight, couple days rest earned there I think 😅

Last edited:
My running has fallen off a cliff since I got back to Sunderland. Between the feral children, the shite, inconsiderate parking and the shit dogs and dogs shit, I find just being outside here, and I don't use this term lightly, thoroughly depressing.

I managed 2km this morning before finding yet another car blocking the footway, forcing me to backtrack, before I threw in the towel.

My running has fallen off a cliff since I got back to Sunderland. Between the feral children, the shite, inconsiderate parking and the shit dogs and dogs shit, I find just being outside here, and I don't use this term lightly, thoroughly depressing.

I managed 2km this morning before finding yet another car blocking the footway, forcing me to backtrack, before I threw in the towel.
Fanny

I was running along doing a 10km the other day, and suddenly had a thought about how I wanted to work out what my cadence was. Anyway, found a Spotify 170bpm playlist and ran to the beat. I must’ve been down around 120 before. Nee wonder my knees are fucked at 25.

I was running along doing a 10km the other day, and suddenly had a thought about how I wanted to work out what my cadence was. Anyway, found a Spotify 170bpm playlist and ran to the beat. I must’ve been down around 120 before. Nee wonder my knees are fucked at 25.
Your knees aren't fucked. Surely 120 is far too low!

Your knees aren't fucked. Surely 120 is far too low!

Definitely far too low. Through watching YouTube videos Ive managed to improve my form over the last 12 months. I run more upright, facing looking straight ahead and make sure I land on my mid foot not my heel. But I couldn’t believe how low my cadence was. Maybe not 120 but I definitely went up by about 30spm.

My right knee is. I have tendinitis below the knee cap. I also had to have an x-ray after an accident at work the other week. No break but I’ve got a total loss of joint space on the inside half.

It doesn’t hurt to run on, but gives me grief going up and down the steep stairs at work (I work on a ship). Going to get some physio in the new year.

Back