Running thread 2021

Interesting posts on race distance. Strava logged my half marathon at 2:09:47, whereas my official GNR time was 2:10:18. Guessing that 30 seconds ish is down to not running the shortest route.

Has anyone got any decent half marathon training plans? I know I have a year for the GNR and I regularly run 5k’s and 10k’s through the week, was just thinking of the best way to up training and make the GNR as comfortable as possible

Has anyone got any decent half marathon training plans? I know I have a year for the GNR and I regularly run 5k’s and 10k’s through the week, was just thinking of the best way to up training and make the GNR as comfortable as possible

80/20. A coach will give you a specific plan but basically 80% should be at low intensity and 20% at moderate/high. Be careful not to get stuck in the “moderate intensity rut”. This puts stress on the body which means you can’t run as much, but it isn’t hard enough to stimulate the harder end.

It’s very easy to fall into though. A 10k easy and you feel you’ve not done enough, a 10k hard is painful (a good pain).

I should note it’s 80/20 time, not distance. So if you’re doing 5 hours of running a week, 4 should be easy and 1 should be moderate/hard. For example, you could do 3 easy 10k (say 3.5 hrs), 1 easy 5k (total 4 hours) and then a hard session. Example - 10 min warm up easy, 8 x 4 minutes race pace with 1 minute recovery between. 10 minute cool down. Weeks total 5hrs 10 minutes

Follow the 10% rule for increasing duration per week.

Over the course of the year you’ll gradually build up fitness. Every 4th week should be a lighter week to allow your body to absorb the fitness gains you’ve achieved.

I only know this because I’m fascinated by the ways pros train, but I’m shite at implementing it myself. I’m definitely in the moderate intensity rut.

80/20. A coach will give you a specific plan but basically 80% should be at low intensity and 20% at moderate/high. Be careful not to get stuck in the “moderate intensity rut”. This puts stress on the body which means you can’t run as much, but it isn’t hard enough to stimulate the harder end.

It’s very easy to fall into though. A 10k easy and you feel you’ve not done enough, a 10k hard is painful (a good pain).

I should note it’s 80/20 time, not distance. So if you’re doing 5 hours of running a week, 4 should be easy and 1 should be moderate/hard. For example, you could do 3 easy 10k (say 3.5 hrs), 1 easy 5k (total 4 hours) and then a hard session. Example - 10 min warm up easy, 8 x 4 minutes race pace with 1 minute recovery between. 10 minute cool down. Weeks total 5hrs 10 minutes

Follow the 10% rule for increasing duration per week.

Over the course of the year you’ll gradually build up fitness. Every 4th week should be a lighter week to allow your body to absorb the fitness gains you’ve achieved.

I only know this because I’m fascinated by the ways pros train, but I’m shite at implementing it myself. I’m definitely in the moderate intensity rut.
Thanks for the reply !! I’ll give a try and report how it goes ! I agree the science of it all is fascinating (I am a chemist) the advice you’ve given is massively informative 👍🏼

With a year to go I'd be looking at building base at this point, whether following somthing like Maffatone or some other heart rate/effort type plan, building up the mileage at that level and not worrying at all about speed and tempo type work. Then closer to the time start on a plan whether a runners world. Daniels or some other.

I'm half way through training for the Limassol half marathon, thought I'd see what electrolyte drink they use so I can get used to it and not potentially shit myself on the day :lol: Anyway, they've moved it to March, no email or notification from the organisers which is really poor.

Fortunately the Larnaca HM is the week before so it's no big deal. The same thing happened last year, I'd built up to 11 miles long run only for it to be postponed a year. Destined to not run it.

Nice and dry course today at Wrekenton for the 1st XC of the season.

I decided to give it a miss as have london marathon next sunday. Didn't want to risk any injuries on a bone dry course that has a few gravel paths.

Be back for druridge, although that might be bone dry too

Doing my first penshaw 10km on Sunday, looks a brutal route, and the finish line is at the top of the monument 😂😂
It's a really nice route, scenic.
I've not done this, but I've done the penshaw half and the finish is brutal. Done the route, the incline up to offerton village is horrible. Pleased it's not going up Satan's steps like the half did!

Looking forward to it on Sunday, it'll be a canny run out

Back