Running thread 2021

after a 2 weeks off, back on it but getting pain in my illac crest area, (top of hip), tried my roller but doesnt work, anyone give me any hints to either stretch is out or stop it?

33:30 and 7th at Darlington 10k this morning, relatively happy with that. Will be looking to be a bit closer to 33 at Morpeth and Leeds abbey dash in next few months.
Nice to be back at a really busy race
I had a mare. Couldn't seem to get going until lap 2 even though I had a decent warmup. Beat my course best but 3 mins down on my 10K pb.

I had a mare. Couldn't seem to get going until lap 2 even though I had a decent warmup. Beat my course best but 3 mins down on my 10K pb.
I was the opposite mate, flew round first lap but got a bit stuck on the second.

Where’d you get your 10k pb at? I do think darlo is a decent course but that lumpy section at the far end is a bit of a drain on the legs

I was the opposite mate, flew round first lap but got a bit stuck on the second.

Where’d you get your 10k pb at? I do think darlo is a decent course but that lumpy section at the far end is a bit of a drain on the legs

Dalton Park last August. Pretty flat until the last KM but the finish is the top of the old slag heap. Garmin put the total elevation at 82m compared to 65m today.

Dalton Park last August. Pretty flat until the last KM but the finish is the top of the old slag heap. Garmin put the total elevation at 82m compared to 65m today.
I did that race in December, parts of the course were quite boggy so I didn’t find it too fast then
Nasty last hill though isn’t it 🥵

Abbey Dash, faster route and usually a very strong field. Ran low 33 last time I did it and finished outside the top 100 😳

Morpeth has a long drag of a hill past the pirimal factory

Leeds 10k next month is more or less the same route too, is it not?

I should know, I practically live on the doorstep of the Abbey Dash!

Lots of good running and racing going on by the sounds of it.

I'm at the other end of distance but starting to see some benefits, my long run which was same route did early July was 8 minutes faster and my bog standard day to day running HR is same pace as I did the marathon in last time so hoping to smash my PB if training keeps how it keeps going. Not seeing any weight come off though which was hoping to do as well which would help time, reckon could lose up to a stone but even if could get off 6lbs or so would make a difference.

Reet, so...

Sunday, light gym session (easing my way back into kettlebells)
Tuesday morning, light gym session (easing my way back into kettlebells)
Tuesday night 5aside
Then I ran tonight.

Everything felt champion body wise, then I got down the beach & had to drag myself home. Didn’t stop running like. I feel like I need to hit these little milestones, because I did it tonight there’s no excuse to stop next time.
JL - I know this is way late and you finished it nicely.. but for next time... word to the wise. Get some running shoes. They make such a massive difference. As an avid 5 a sider back in the day I ran my first GNR with some (maybe 8-10 training runs) in 1:48. In a pair of Sambas. And footy socks. Couldn’t walk for 3 days after.

Bought running shoes for the year after. Did 3 training runs* 🙈 and ran it in 1:41 injury free

* played 5’s 5 nights a week so fitness wasn’t an issue?!

JL - I know this is way late and you finished it nicely.. but for next time... word to the wise. Get some running shoes. They make such a massive difference. As an avid 5 a sider back in the day I ran my first GNR with some (maybe 8-10 training runs) in 1:48. In a pair of Sambas. And footy socks. Couldn’t walk for 3 days after.

Bought running shoes for the year after. Did 3 training runs* 🙈 and ran it in 1:41 injury free

* played 5’s 5 nights a week so fitness wasn’t an issue?!
That was the first reply when I posted the pictures of the Sunderland 10k - “you need some proper running shoes instead of Sambas!” I finished it in 53:47, which I was more than happy with considering I was looking for sub 60mins & didn’t train as I could/should have in the lead up.

Saying that, I don’t see running being a big part of my fitness regime moving forward. I possibly might get a pair for gym classes & the odd run I do, but I finished that 10k & had no want to do the GNR or anything. I need to get back to body weight & resistance exercises as part of HIIT training. Luckily, schedules seem to be getting there again.

Back