Running thread 2021

I finished in 2hr 8 mins. I started just wanting to take it easy & enjoy but I built into it and put an effort in after coming back over Cox Green bridge then the last hills and steps!

I thought the offerton / a19 hill was the end of it so was gutted when we had to go down and up again 🙈

It’s a tough course but got to love it. The medals Trail Outlaws do are class as well.

Great weekend to be fair as well, the Sunderland city runs & Penshaw - a bit of normality back and great to see so many PB’s on strava / Facebook
Aye its a killer that last 5k or so, them steps, offerton and the field and ateoaup to the back of the monument.
I walked them, proper knackered by then. Got something to build on though. Was great running with others and getting a class medal at the end

Alot of PBs being mentioned in the Sunderland 5k / 10k / Half.

I wonder if a lot of that is down to people having nothing to do but run for nearly 18 months?

As I mentioned above, I have what I believe to be as metatarsalgia in my foot and it's brought my mileage and runs right down, after averaging 100m+ months until around March / April. I really thought the 10k would be around 55 mins for me but surprised myself at how well I managed. (Conditions helped also)

Alot of PBs being mentioned in the Sunderland 5k / 10k / Half.

I wonder if a lot of that is down to people having nothing to do but run for nearly 18 months?

As I mentioned above, I have what I believe to be as metatarsalgia in my foot and it's brought my mileage and runs right down, after averaging 100m+ months until around March / April. I really thought the 10k would be around 55 mins for me but surprised myself at how well I managed. (Conditions helped also)

For me I had totally forgot how much easier it is to run in a race around other people. I got too carried away a couple of times yesterday but it was all good in the end.

but yes without a doubt not commuting to work, and being able to stick to a running schedule much better for the last 18 month has definitely helped.

For me I had totally forgot how much easier it is to run in a race around other people. I got too carried away a couple of times yesterday but it was all good in the end.

but yes without a doubt not commuting to work, and being able to stick to a running schedule much better for the last 18 month has definitely helped.
You cant help but catch the person in front can you?

Another pb for me in the Sunderland ½ yesterday.

1:51 in the half today. Well chuffed. Not sure it was a full half but its 5 mins faster than my previous best half marathon.

Was class being back at a proper event.

It has a UKA licence so has been measured by the Association of United Kingdom Course Measurers. GPS watches aren't great at dealing with lots of twists & turns so courses like Sunderland's often show as being a bit short on Strava etc.

What's the best site to use to find out about races coming up in the North East?

Pretty much covers the North and Yorkshire.

Pretty much covers the North and Yorkshire.
Thanks.

In terms of running vest, should I just get it over and done with and buy the Salomon adv 12 skin thing? Any viable alternatives?

Another pb for me in the Sunderland ½ yesterday.

It has a UKA licence so has been measured by the Association of United Kingdom Course Measurers. GPS watches aren't great at dealing with lots of twists & turns so courses like Sunderland's often show as being a bit short on Strava etc.

Ah good to know thanks.

Longer runs/trail running. Water mostly, but spare kit in the mountains. It’s about 4 million degrees here at the minute. Anything over 10km and I want to die of dehydration.
I use a salomon for stuff like that if I'm carrying a lot of kit. If it's just for fluids, a 5 litre one should be fine.
Class that over presumably a lot of elevation
The run wasn't hilly, just keswick town centre. Bike was 4000ft elevation.

Last edited:
Longer runs/trail running. Water mostly, but spare kit in the mountains. It’s about 4 million degrees here at the minute. Anything over 10km and I want to die of dehydration.
I have a salomon 5 as well, would suggest checking decathlon though a lot of people seem to really like their vests and they a bit cheaper for supposedly similar quality.

Back