Running thread 2021

He has 11.11 though doesn't he ?
I get more than that due to being old as fuck, but I definitely want to go below 11 minutes again.
Just did a 5km run, the last 4 of which was predominantly on a track. Averaged 5 min per km for that portion. Still a lot of work to do, but I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
What are your goals for next year? If we can race again, I'd love

Sub 3 hour marathon.
Sub 10 hours lakeland 50.
Set personal bests in every race.
Sub 3 hour marathon?!? I would struggle to do it that quickly by telephone.
A sub-5h is on my bucket list.

I'm having to accept that I need to let my legs recover more. I don't know whether it's impatience or whether I just want to keep going so I lose some timber, but my legs are not having it at the moment.
I was thinking of getting an exercise bike or cross trainer as that might put less pressure on my calves/shins etc.
I wouldn't care, I'm not a f***ing behemoth, I'm just out of practice.
It's a bit demotivating when you're trying to get fit and your own legs go "Nope, that's enough thanks"

I'm having to accept that I need to let my legs recover more. I don't know whether it's impatience or whether I just want to keep going so I lose some timber, but my legs are not having it at the moment.
I was thinking of getting an exercise bike or cross trainer as that might put less pressure on my calves/shins etc.
I wouldn't care, I'm not a f***ing behemoth, I'm just out of practice.
It's a bit demotivating when you're trying to get fit and your own legs go "Nope, that's enough thanks"
You need to be a bit more mature about it imo. Recovery is just as important as training. Cross training is excellent, I do triathlons and it helps massively to recover from running.

You need to be a bit more mature about it imo. Recovery is just as important as training. Cross training is excellent, I do triathlons and it helps massively to recover from running.

I used to enjoy the cross trainer I had. Might be worth getting another. I have the space for one now!

I think I know what you mean about the mature bit. It's easy to get frustrated, but I need to listen to my body and be patient. I won't get fitter quicker by going too fast too soon

I used to enjoy the cross trainer I had. Might be worth getting another. I have the space for one now!

I think I know what you mean about the mature bit. It's easy to get frustrated, but I need to listen to my body and be patient. I won't get fitter quicker by going too fast too soon
Can you mix it up a bit maybe so you are working different muscles each time?

Bit of cycling, bit of running, but if swimming, a mile walk each morning kind of thing?

Full respect to you for the effort mind. So many people can’t be bothered and just sit on their arse all day getting fat. I’m struggling with the inertia. Once I get a few runs in I find I get into the habit of working out rather than the other way around.

Can you mix it up a bit maybe so you are working different muscles each time?

Bit of cycling, bit of running, but if swimming, a mile walk each morning kind of thing?

Full respect to you for the effort mind. So many people can’t be bothered and just sit on their arse all day getting fat. I’m struggling with the inertia. Once I get a few runs in I find I get into the habit of working out rather than the other way around.

Cheers. My parents are both fit and active and I know they have the time to go to the gym etc as they're retired, but I don't want to feel like I'm letting the side down.

I could do with a bike again. I used to cycle everywhere when I was young.
Swimming - I don't really have the time before work. It's frustrating as Mini K can be up from 6 but nursery doesn't start til 8 - and when she starts pre-school 8:30 so I basically have 2 hours maybe less where I'm stuck.
I think a cross trainer or exercise bike might not be a bad idea. Plonk her in front of something for a bit and get peddling.

I manage a walk after I've dropped her off at nursery, but my hope was to get a run in. Unfortunately I think I've over-done it.

Cheers. My parents are both fit and active and I know they have the time to go to the gym etc as they're retired, but I don't want to feel like I'm letting the side down.

I could do with a bike again. I used to cycle everywhere when I was young.
Swimming - I don't really have the time before work. It's frustrating as Mini K can be up from 6 but nursery doesn't start til 8 - and when she starts pre-school 8:30 so I basically have 2 hours maybe less where I'm stuck.
I think a cross trainer or exercise bike might not be a bad idea. Plonk her in front of something for a bit and get peddling.

I manage a walk after I've dropped her off at nursery, but my hope was to get a run in. Unfortunately I think I've over-done it.
Try a brisk walk, get your hr up. Do yoga?

Struggling to get into running this year, bet I've only done about 20 mile though I have been doing a bit of cycling. I've noticed on my last few runs my HR is normal for the first mile or so then the next few it's more like 190, I try to drop off a bit (I'm not exactly rapid!) and it makes no difference.

One of the lads at work has suggested MAF training, has anyone done it?
Running outside v running on a track v running on a treadmill.

Part of the reason I've started running again, I'm playing with the idea of joining the RAF. Need to be able to run 2.4km in 11.11.

I remember as a kid I did the Royal Marines test of 2.4km in 12:30 then 2.4km in 10:30 and 'passed' on a treadmill but that's the only time I've ever ran on a treadmill.

How do your times change (if at all) if you were to do the same run on the above 3? @D.A ?
What are you thinking of doing in the RAF, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Struggling to get into running this year, bet I've only done about 20 mile though I have been doing a bit of cycling. I've noticed on my last few runs my HR is normal for the first mile or so then the next few it's more like 190, I try to drop off a bit (I'm not exactly rapid!) and it makes no difference.

One of the lads at work has suggested MAF training, has anyone done it?

What are you thinking of doing in the RAF, if you don't mind me asking?
Don't bother with maf.

The more training you do, the lower your hr will go. On my easy run yesterday. 4.3 miles, I averaged 136bpm.

John Kelly set the record for the pennine way last year, before Damian Hall beat him the week after. John is giving it another go tomorrow, 260 miles and 61hr 35 minutes to beat. Can follow him on Instagram "randomforestrunner"

Just ordered Damian Halls book to collect today , "In it for the Long Run", and will be reading it during my week in the lakes next week.

Back