Running thread 2021

Going to start Goggins tomorrow morning havent deceided on times either starting 6/10/2/6 or 10/2/6/10, having a lie in till 8 in the morning or getting on with it and being done 7am Sunday. Know he starts at 8pm which means last few runs when at most tired are during the second day rather than early hours of the morning which might be harder but I want to have Sunday to relax and recover and have a bit of a weekend.
Doesn't that defeat the object? :lol: start at 8pm man
Good luck! I lost all motivation for it
get it done man, you were banging on about it before, now you're bottling it.

Last edited:

Wasn't working then, got a new job now and don't want to spend a weekend doing it, should have done it when I was off

Dont think so as if followed it to the Goggins letter would have to start 2am on Friday to match his timezone which seems even more out of step and means a 2am monday finish which isnt happening. Reading some trip reports where other people have done it and seems all sorts of random times people start so not going to worry about it and probably do 10am start.

Dont think so as if followed it to the Goggins letter would have to start 2am on Friday to match his timezone which seems even more out of step and means a 2am monday finish which isnt happening. Reading some trip reports where other people have done it and seems all sorts of random times people start so not going to worry about it and probably do 10am start.
A quick look on his website says 8pm. So if i was doing it, it'd be 8pm.
Wasn't working then, got a new job now and don't want to spend a weekend doing it, should have done it when I was off
Eh :lol: :lol:

Going to start Goggins tomorrow morning havent deceided on times either starting 6/10/2/6 or 10/2/6/10, having a lie in till 8 in the morning or getting on with it and being done 7am Sunday. Know he starts at 8pm which means last few runs when at most tired are during the second day rather than early hours of the morning which might be harder but I want to have Sunday to relax and recover and have a bit of a weekend.
Stay Hard!

I managed 100 runs last year covering 468 miles.

I’ve only managed 8 so far this year covering 44 miles.

Struggling to find time this year and I’m getting disheartened that my speeds never seem to pick up.

Did one a couple of weeks ago with average pace of 8.36 a mile and then do the same things and it’s 9 mins a mile. Average always seems to work out about 8.55. Don’t know if it’s coz my weight isn’t going down or what.

It’s not the easiest of routes like. One mile of it is constantly uphill which doesn’t help and always slows me down. I can go from a under 8 minute mile to nearly 10 with that uphill mile.

Any tips or thoughts?

Struggling to find time this year and I’m getting disheartened that my speeds never seem to pick up.

Did one a couple of weeks ago with average pace of 8.36 a mile and then do the same things and it’s 9 mins a mile. Average always seems to work out about 8.55. Don’t know if it’s coz my weight isn’t going down or what.

It’s not the easiest of routes like. One mile of it is constantly uphill which doesn’t help and always slows me down. I can go from a under 8 minute mile to nearly 10 with that uphill mile.

Any tips or thoughts?

If you go out and do the same things over and over you probably won’t find much improvement.

You could go on that route and use the fartlek method or run timed intervals etc, that sort of thing helps with overall pace, all depends what you want out of it really.

Any tips or thoughts?
Some days I can do the same route a couple of minutes quicker, all depends on how I feel. If you want progression you need to run more.

Any tips or thoughts?
Run at least 3 times a week. 1 interval run (speed), 1 hills, 1 longer steady run. For a starter.

Just realised I know your cousin, Mark. In a WhatsApp running group with him
Yeah, he a really nice lad havent seen him in ages though since he moved over spenny way, bumped into his dad on my first challange run who hadnt seen since I moved back to the village all MLF's.

Thanks.

Realy enjoyed it, wasnt so good couple times from the tiredness made me a bit grumpy. But physically and metally sailed through it to be honest, think the fact I made sure I ate and drank after each run (loads of sweet potatoes, rice, some sandwiches). The downsidfe to that was basically had a crap before every run, so not sure how it would play out of I move up to doing ultras. Srated off running slower than usual training pace but sped up the last few runs and the last one was my fastest.

Was good though and would recommend people giving it a try.

I've talked myself into getting back into running after around a 10 year hiatus with a dodgy knee. 10ish years ago I was doing 10k in around 55 mins.

Tomorrow is the day to start back up again. I know I'm going to go out, try to run at what I remember to be a decent pace for me and be fucked after about 5 mins which is going to cause me to be annoyed at myself for wrapping in in the first place. I'm knocking towards the back end of my 40s now - any idea what a decent goal / training plan would look like for someone as lapsed as myself?

I’ve managed to do 2x5k’s since posting that I was going to get back into it. The first one stung a bit!
My problem now is I have that niggly knee pain which I mentioned above - right on the front of both knee caps which I haven’t felt for 10 years and stopped me running in the first place.
Is there any solution? Knee supports etc or should I just admit I’m not as young as I used to be and stick to my bike?

First HM of the year done. Steady away, lovely day for it

I got weirdly warm for some reason, it’s not that hot at all, but I was running towards South Road getting stripped off :)

The back end felt alright but I felt like I hadn’t been doing any training at all for the first half hour or so.

See Sunderland Half and Durham 10k back on for June and July which is great to see. I've had a terrible few months with a persistant calf injury. Pain centrally near the top of the muscle. Lower leg goes completely numb after a couple of miles then pins and nedels. I've taken a few weeks off at times and its not helped. Felt stained by walking dog yesterday :( I'm getting more and more unfit and piling weight on so have to get back if i'm to attempt Manchester in October. Ordered compression cocks from Amazon. They arrived yesterday and they fit. Will attempt a run tomorrow after work and prey leg sorts itself out as out of ideas at present.

Back