Running thread 2021

Having some strange bother with my right knee at the minute. Can run on it fine but lying in bed afterwards with my leg straight and there's a dull ache on the inside of it constantly to the point that it wakes me up when I'm asleep.
Getting worse rather than better this. Looks like a rest may be needed.

you can start at the town bridge and run all the way along dame dot and up the coast path to where sheilds starts, and turn back. i did this yesterday, although started at home so turned around a souter lighthouse. i like this route as there is very little in the way of road crossings to hold you up, and the path is relatively wide and flat for most parts. and the views are lovely.

2 downsides- if theres a slight wind, it can feel 10 x worse, usually on the way back. and if its a nice day and after 11ish it can get busy on the path between roker and seaburn

if you want trails, then you can start at ryhope and get onto the back fields/golf course just opposite the albion, and stick to the lines all the way to silky ski slop, run down to the board in, and jump into the back of herrington park, come back up chester road and get onto the back path at grindon and you can follow that all the way through barnes park all the way to chester road (although this technically isnt trials its not on the roads and you can run on the grass etc..) that loop is about 13 miles, i did it a few weeks ago, was class, but i was covered in mud by the time i got home
Had to cut my HM attempt short by about 3km today, pulled my calf, gutting when so close to my target

I've been lazy the last couple of weeks so did a marathon today, just stuck to my usual zone 2 pace although pushed up into zone 3 a bit second half. Legs be feeling it tomrrow I reckon, my lack of longer runs told a bit. Lovely day for it as well after all the crappy weather.

I've been lazy the last couple of weeks so did a marathon today, just stuck to my usual zone 2 pace although pushed up into zone 3 a bit second half. Legs be feeling it tomrrow I reckon, my lack of longer runs told a bit. Lovely day for it as well after all the crappy weather.
Daft bastard
Had to cut my HM attempt short by about 3km today, pulled my calf, gutting when so close to my target
Take it easy, unlucky

My main focus for the year was the Lakeland 5 passes, but with todays announcement i'll likely only be able to get to the lakes for one week between when overnight stays resume & the race - although i'll do a flat 33 mile race 4 weeks before & the Ullswater 20 4 weeks before. I can pget to Northumbrian hills and do my elevation training but won't be able to recce the route which is self-navigated beforehand...having to consider postponing until next year and considering something as challenging later in the year.

There's also the little factor of it being the first weekend after June 21st !

I'm going to decide on the LAP 47 mile in September soon.

Glad at least there's some certainty coming back though. Last year i was also relocating to USA which I am not anymore, so i'm gutted I gave away my GNR deferral!

Last edited:
My main focus for the year was the Lakeland 5 passes, but with todays announcement i'll likely only be able to get to the lakes for one week between when overnight stays resume & the race - although i'll do a flat 33 mile race 4 weeks before & the Ullswater 20 4 weeks before. I can pget to Northumbrian hills and do my elevation training but won't be able to recce the route which is self-navigated beforehand...having to consider postponing until next year and considering something as challenging later in the year.

There's also the little factor of it being the first weekend after June 21st !

I'm going to decide on the LAP 47 mile in September soon.

Glad at least there's some certainty coming back though. Last year i was also relocating to USA which I am not anymore, so i'm gutted I gave away my GNR deferral!
What's lap 47?

You'd be able to follow people on the route.

What's lap 47?

You'd be able to follow people on the route.

Looking at the one in September, says 45 on preview but 47 on description.

Last edited:

Looking at the one in September, says 45 on preview but 47 on description.
Looks a nice race would be 4 weeks before my Marathon this year but might be one for my list for next year spring instead of a marathon, want to try couple ultras but not too hilly and where have to navigate too much.

After Goggins weekend have got 14 weeks till my Marathon training cycle starts so might try and do a self supported 30 (or a 50k) or maybe slightly longer miler during that time so at least have an aim after this months shambles of training.

Has anybody entered the gateshead half marathon?

Still not heard if it will go ahead or not. cant really imagine it will to be honest.
Just looking a the guidance and in step 1 it says

Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies.

But its whether an one off mass participant run is classed as formally outdoor sports or large scale sporting events which isnt till a later step I guess.

Just looking a the guidance and in step 1 it says

Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies.

But its whether an one off mass participant run is classed as formally outdoor sports or large scale sporting events which isnt till a later step I guess.
I was hoping parkrun would release something about their plans, I think they'll wait for June 21st. I've really missed them.

That weekend will be great of Friday 25th through 27th will be great.

Also in for Sunderland City 5k & Penshaw trail half marathon the weekend before - was in for the 5k & 10k double but cancelled the 10k in favour for the half marathon.

Last edited:
I was hoping parkrun would release something about their plans, I think they'll wait for June 21st. I've really missed them.

That weekend will be great of Friday 25th through 27th will be great.

Also in for Sunderland City 5k & Penshaw trail half marathon the weekend before - was in for the 5k & 10k double but cancelled the 10k in favour for the half marathon.
I was fancying the Sunderland half, but being on in June is really putting me off, it could be boiling.

Back