Running thread 2021

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of running shoes that won’t break the bank? Been getting into my running for the last year, usually do 10k as an average distance.
I started running in basic sports trainers that I already had, but they knackered my ankles. I do a lot of footpath/bridleway/countryside runs so opted for a pair of trail running shoes, but they’ve destroyed my groin. So much so I have been strapped up for weeks and haven’t run in ages.
I’m feeling nearly back at full strength but want to invest properly. I wish I’d done more research before the trail running shoes because I don’t think road running and then onto muddy footpaths is really what they’re designed for.

I suppose budget would be around £70 tops.

The trail running shoes have a 7mm drop and my original trainers have a 5mm drop. From what basic research I’ve done, the height of the drop can affect which areas you tend to injure? So I imagine I want to stay away from a higher drop if I don’t want to re-tear my groin.
Thanks
I do quite a bit of trail running but only wear trail shoes if I know it’s going to be very muddy.

I used to wear ASICS Gel Nimbus but was constantly injured. Was out for nearly a year, changed to Brooks Glycerin 17 and the difference has been tremendous. Would recommend them but everyone is different.

I do quite a bit of trail running but only wear trail shoes if I know it’s going to be very muddy.

I used to wear ASICS Gel Nimbus but was constantly injured. Was out for nearly a year, changed to Brooks Glycerin 17 and the difference has been tremendous. Would recommend them but everyone is different.
I was a fan of the glycerin’s too. Got some in about a size 12 @fry could have if he’s that size. Got about 500 miles in them so I swapped but plenty of grip still left on them

How’s everyone’s training and motivation going?
Am determined to do an ultra this year but it’s nigh on impossible to get motivated for the training 😕

Am determined to do an ultra this year but it’s nigh on impossible to get motivated for the training 😕
Peaks and troughs, last Wednesday running could fuck off, Sunday I felt like I'm going to win my next race.

I’m still really pleased with yesterday’s run, still slow by a lot of people standards on here but took a min per mile off the previous Sunday’s 10 miler, with a low average heart rate. Probably the most motivated I’ve been since last march.

goals this year:
A marathon
A sub 2 hour HM
1000km

I had couple of weeks off in December and seem to have got my motivation back and running everyday again which given the weather been good. Not entering any races at minute except for Yorkshire marathon that rollerd over from last year.
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of running shoes that won’t break the bank? Been getting into my running for the last year, usually do 10k as an average distance.
I started running in basic sports trainers that I already had, but they knackered my ankles. I do a lot of footpath/bridleway/countryside runs so opted for a pair of trail running shoes, but they’ve destroyed my groin. So much so I have been strapped up for weeks and haven’t run in ages.
I’m feeling nearly back at full strength but want to invest properly. I wish I’d done more research before the trail running shoes because I don’t think road running and then onto muddy footpaths is really what they’re designed for.

I suppose budget would be around £70 tops.

The trail running shoes have a 7mm drop and my original trainers have a 5mm drop. From what basic research I’ve done, the height of the drop can affect which areas you tend to injure? So I imagine I want to stay away from a higher drop if I don’t want to re-tear my groin.
Thanks

Hoka Challanger 5 ATR's are on sale on the hoka site for 68 quid, are around the dro you currently running in and are designed as a door to trail type shoe, been fine for the mud along the lines I go along, am onto my second pair but I do love Hoka's.

Last edited:
Any ideas how to sync NRC with Strava without using a 3rd party app ? I’ve got mates on Strava but prefer NRC for ease of use with the Iwatch.

Constantly feeling a niggle in my left achillies radiating around to my shin after about 4 miles at the moment, really frustrating. Bought some compression socks but after initial positive feelings towards them they don't seem to be helping that much.

Managed my 10 mile target tonight ahead of my end of Feb target, whey about 20 yards short. My watch is in KM and I thought 10 mile was dead on 16km.

Slow and steady for my run, half marathon my next target
You'll need to do it again. Why don't you change it to miles?

haway then ill join in. Can't run up the stairs without getting a stitch how do i do it without all 16 clem of me dying
I dream of being 16 stone :) ... but I have built up to being comfortable up to 12km runs (have managed a couple of half marathons - but always end up walk/running the last 7km) - it's taken me a while but I went through the Couch to 5km (C25k) and built from there - really recommend it.

Back