Running thread 2021

My goal is to be able to run 5km without stopping. At the moment, I wouldn't be very comfortable walking 5km and I have weight to lose to reach this goal as running would put too much pressure on my knees and already fucked ankles, but I will get there by the end of this year, hopefully in a Park Run environment.

good luck mate. keep at it. the body adapts really quickly but you've got to push it within certain limits. be aware of your limits but don't let them control you. walk a bit further each day. do other exercises. go up and down stairs. steps. hills. set achievable goals and enjoy hitting them. look at the couch to 5K app's. don't know your situation but you ought to be able to get to running a 5K in weeks, not months.

I joined one of those Strava challenges, the Skins Compression 110 it's called. You run for 110 minutes in a week and get a code for a free pair of calf compression socks ( I did anyway there's different gifts).

It runs until 10th Jan if you want to find it and join.

215SKINSSTRAVA6579

That's the code for free calf guards from skins. 5 quid delivery.

Cheers, ordered some in XS, only size left, may be too small but worth the chance.
My medal has just came this morning for supporting the Run2Remember charity.

The medal is £17 and you set your own goals for the year ahead. It's in aid of the charity that supports the families of the Manchester Bombings. One of the dad's is a huge Sunderland fan and I seen him pushing it on their Twitter page. There's still 780 left.

https://hive22runningclub.niftyentries.com/Hive22-Run2Remember-2021

Last edited:
ironman is my only goal this year. think about it non-stop

done my first marathon at the end of last year, so just gonna keep totting up the miles, and doing high intensity sessions in between
Have you entered mate ? Still think big events maybe touch n go . Would love to try it one day if can ever run again

I joined one of those Strava challenges, the Skins Compression 110 it's called. You run for 110 minutes in a week and get a code for a free pair of calf compression socks ( I did anyway there's different gifts).

It runs until 10th Jan if you want to find it and join.
I got mine as well, got some calf guards already so went a size smaller and will try wearing them for an hour after showering etc like they suggest see if it helps. Get tight calfs quite a bit and some PT pain in one foot was foam rolling but am now trying a massage gun which hurts just as much as rolling but seems to be working as pain been much less this week. Will try massage and acupuncture once lockdown ends especially as get up to certain amount free on work health plan. Am only running in my hoka's as well instead of chopping and changing to some of my other makes not sure if having consistent drop helping too.

Last edited:
Have you entered mate ? Still think big events maybe touch n go . Would love to try it one day if can ever run again

aye, entered lakesman with a few from the sun city triathlon group, and D.A

only started triathlon last january after running for a few years, entered a few races last year and they all got cancelled.
215SKINSSTRAVA6579

That's the code for free calf guards from skins. 5 quid delivery.

is that just a one time code?

i'll get my code on satuday as i only need to do another 30 mins

Last edited:
aye, entered lakesman with a few from the sun city triathlon group, and D.A

only started triathlon last january after running for a few years, entered a few races last year and they all got cancelled.

is that just a one time code?

i'll get my code on satuday as i only need to do another 30 mins
You can use it now. I told you earlier.

Finally dragged my arse out yesterday for my first run of the year.
It was freezing and a bit icy. But pleased I got out and did just over 11km. Need to start increasing my distance. Penshaw trail half marathon hopefully in the summer.
I did 4 miles yesterday dinner time and it was lovely in the sun. I even took my gloves off near the end but otherwise wore a normal running top and shorts. Way too warm for me to wear hats, Lycra bottoms etc

Finally dragged my arse out yesterday for my first run of the year.
It was freezing and a bit icy. But pleased I got out and did just over 11km. Need to start increasing my distance. Penshaw trail half marathon hopefully in the summer.
Trail Outlaws one? I've paid for their series of half marathons...looking forward to them! brighter days ahead :)
I did 4 miles yesterday dinner time and it was lovely in the sun. I even took my gloves off near the end but otherwise wore a normal running top and shorts. Way too warm for me to wear hats, Lycra bottoms etc
I defnitely over compensate for the cold , this week been going out around 5-6pm with a long sleeve under armour style top, running t-shirt and running jacket...hat, gloves and leggings with long heavy cotton socks over the bottom of the leggings :) It's too much once I get going but bearable, the alternative is staying in the house 😂

Last edited:
Trail Outlaws one? I've paid for their series of half marathons...looking forward to them! brighter days ahead :)

I defnitely over compensate for the cold , this week been going out around 5-6pm with a long sleeve under armour style top, running t-shirt and running jacket...hat, gloves and leggings with long heavy cotton socks over the bottom of the leggings :) It's too much once I get going but bearable, the alternative is staying in the house 😂
Jesus. I've worn shorts and t shirt twice this week, had a buff on yesterday.

I'll be shorts, t-shirt and waterproof jacket when I go out tomorrow. I know I'll regret the jacket after the first mile. It the wet feet that I hate in bad weather.
I'm the same the wet feet especially in mile 1 and know going to be soggy all the way along. I wear longer running bottoms but just the same, more ften than not windproof jacket ends up round my waist and gloves off, get way too hot otherwise and couldnt wear a hat. Bought a bunch of winter baselayers couple years ago and wore them once.
I'm the same the wet feet especially in mile 1 and know going to be soggy all the way along. I wear longer running bottoms but just the same, more ften than not windproof jacket ends up round my waist and gloves off, get way too hot otherwise and couldnt wear a hat. Bought a bunch of winter baselayers couple years ago and wore them once.
Did 10 miles in the snow today really nice running in the woods with this crunchy snow rather than slippery ice.

Last edited:

Back