Running thread 2021

Just as my runs were getting back to normal I go and get Covid. Been laid up since Tuesday, hopefully I'll be able to get back out again before the end of next week.

Standard week before the great North run injury! This time it's a ligament/tendon on the back of my knee. Hopefully settle down in the next few days. But may not take part next Sunday.

Did my first Ultra distance at the weekend, 53 miles on the Highland Fling course from Milngavie to Tyndrum. First 30 odd miles were great, but there's a bit down the side of Loch Lomond for about 8 miles that was torturous. All in though, managed 14 hours so pleased with that. Hamstrings and calves are f***ing disasters today like.

Popping my GNR cherry this weekend - really looking forward to it. Never done any kind of organised race before, but the training has gone okay so far (barring an injury wobble last week, which seems to be clearing up in time). I'll be very happy with anything south of 2:15, but just looking forward to getting round the course.

Been trying to get in a lot of climbing over the last month, had a big day planned today but wasn't up to it after big efforts the last two weekends. I'm running the Lakeland 4 passes on the 25th and feel i've done some good training for that now.

Probably do silksworth parkrun next week.

I'm trying to tick off all of the Wainwrights with some of my running in the lakes, on 52 now, some are great for training but can be really annoying on technical descents and lots of wet rock. Most of them are great views at least, but Grange Fell this morning was the biggest waste of time and effort I can imagine a hiker could expend.

Last edited:
Did my first Ultra distance at the weekend, 53 miles on the Highland Fling course from Milngavie to Tyndrum. First 30 odd miles were great, but there's a bit down the side of Loch Lomond for about 8 miles that was torturous. All in though, managed 14 hours so pleased with that. Hamstrings and calves are f***ing disasters today like.
Ive done the fling race a few years ago, it was my first 50. loved it.

Did a virtual GNR yesterday smashed a new PB at 1:28 was more a feeler to make sure my pacings were on course for York next month which seem to be exactly where thought I was, looks like the sub 3 beyond me, mainly due to not losing the weight have been banging on about all year.

Took a couple of minutes of my half PB yesterday got under 1.50 in the Great North Run. Still not counting it as my GNR PB but I can't wait to do it next year.

Going to do a 20 mile run next Sunday morning and thats going to be my longest before the marathon. Its 2 weeks before but I pushed harder than I wanted to yesterday so didn't run home after.

Since taking up running in Jan, I’ve managed to now have a charity place for the GNR next year, can’t wait already, keeping up the training I’m praying when the time comes for a sub 2 hours 😂

Popping my GNR cherry this weekend - really looking forward to it. Never done any kind of organised race before, but the training has gone okay so far (barring an injury wobble last week, which seems to be clearing up in time). I'll be very happy with anything south of 2:15, but just looking forward to getting round the course.
2:14:45!

Really enjoyed it but everything past the Monument was a struggle. Hoping to get in again next year when it returns to its proper route. Got the Coventry half marathon next month...
1:48 yesterday in the GNR which Im delighted with. My watch measured it a touch longer, not sure if that's cos of the weaving.
Mine seemed to be around 300m out, but that happened very quickly - from about 3 miles, every marker was later than I was expecting from my watch, but I'm just assuming it's my rubbish watch.

Last edited:
2:14:45!

Really enjoyed it but everything past the Monument was a struggle. Hoping to get in again next year when it returns to its proper route. Got the Coventry half marathon next month...

Mine seemed to be around 300m out, but that happened very quickly - from about 3 miles, every marker was later than I was expecting from my watch, but I'm just assuming it's my rubbish watch.

It's partly because the official measurement is of the racing line with the shortest point from bend to bend being measured which is almost impossible for most runners in mass events to copy + a bit of it is down to weaving to get past slower runners but mostly it's because tall buildings, tight turns & things like tunnels & underpasses confuse the shit out of GPS devices.

It's partly because the official measurement is of the racing line

And it's partly because courses are deliberately measured to be over distance so that any errors in measurement will not reduce the true distance below that required.

The requirement is that the course must not be short.
The assumption is that the measuring technique has a 0.1% tolerance.
So the aim of the course measurer is to have the distance from start to finish equal to 100.1% of the required distance.
Then, if he's on the limit of the tolerance and 0.1% out on the low side the course will be 100% and still meet or exceed the required distance.
If he's spot on then the course will be 0.1% too long.
If he's 0.1% out on the high side then the course will be 100.2% of the required distance.

100.2% means you might run 42m too far in a half marathon, even on the racing line of a correctly measured course.

Back