Running thread 2021

Just got to roll the dice, the GNR has been red hot a few times recently, I cope with that better than howling wind and pissing down rain.
I can handle the rain, it's the heat and humidity that gets me. I did the Sunderland half in the pissing rain a few years ago no bother, but then I did the Durham 5k 2 years ago when it was 27 degrees and I could barely get round.

I was hoping parkrun would release something about their plans, I think they'll wait for June 21st. I've really missed them.

That weekend will be great of Friday 25th through 27th will be great.

Also in for Sunderland City 5k & Penshaw trail half marathon the weekend before - was in for the 5k & 10k double but cancelled the 10k in favour for the half marathon.
I was hoping parkrun would release something about their plans, I think they'll wait for June 21st. I've really missed them.

That weekend will be great of Friday 25th through 27th will be great.

Also in for Sunderland City 5k & Penshaw trail half marathon the weekend before - was in for the 5k & 10k double but cancelled the 10k in favour for the half marathon.
Parkrun twitter feed says they will make an announcement on Friday about plans for a return. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I can handle the rain, it's the heat and humidity that gets me. I did the Sunderland half in the pissing rain a few years ago no bother, but then I did the Durham 5k 2 years ago when it was 27 degrees and I could barely get round.

I did the 10K that year, it was brutal, I would like to think it won’t be that warm! The last time I ran in the Sunderland races it was quite warm but nowt like that!

Pretty frustrating week for me, but feel better today.
  • Looking forward to a longer run tomorrow, weather looks great and I've had an easier week.
  • Had my best / fastest interval session on Monday
  • Spoke to Lakeland 5 passes and they've given option to defer to 2022 or to the Lakeland 4 passes in September - deciding that soon.
  • Joined the Sunderland Strollers this week, hoping to find people I can run places like Northumbrian Hills with ..don't really like driving up my own.
  • Pleased parkrun is back, but will be running Ullswater 20 mile on the return date.
  • Signing up for the Windermere Lap in September this weekend

Starting training for Pennine Barrier Ultra in June week after next, remains to be seen whether it goes ahead.

Gradually improving after consecutive injuries over the last 2 years, still not feeling as strong and struggling with pace (was never fast, but not close to hitting what I was a couple of years ago) but hopefully will get there. Didn't help constantly running at around the same pace because of the injuries, seems to have got my legs in a rut they can't get out of.

Got bitten by a dog this morning, old woman in Station Town just letting them roam around the front of her house, leaving the gate open. Started barking and circling round us, then one bit me on the top of the thigh. Nice run followed by a Tetanus booster and antibiotics, canny!

Back