Running thread 2021

21.3km this morning - 6:30 pace - first time I have fully run a half marathon distance... yet it wasn’t my fastest half marathon time 😱😂
Fair play i went out to run 5k this morning and turned around a d went on the treadmil instead. I'm going to drive around and try to find a decent stretch of path that's clear for my long run tomorrow

Fair play i went out to run 5k this morning and turned around a d went on the treadmil instead. I'm going to drive around and try to find a decent stretch of path that's clear for my long run tomorrow

I’m down in Stockport - everything was clear, but according to Strava it was “-4oC, feels like -12oC” which felt about right! 😂

I’m down in Stockport - everything was clear, but according to Strava it was “-4oC, feels like -12oC” which felt about right! 😂

I'd need some serious anti chafing cream on the old nipples if I ran in that temperature 😂

Its supposed to warm up tomorrow but not till the evening.

I'd need some serious anti chafing cream on the old nipples if I ran in that temperature 😂

Its supposed to warm up tomorrow but not till the evening.

not to proud to say ... I was wearing nipple plasters! 🤫 😂

Want to get out for a slow (even for me!) 5ker tomorrow but may wait until later on in the day cos my lungs actually hurt this morning!

Weather turning for the better tomorrow & next two weeks. Next fortnight on BBC app between 9 & 14 degrees, nights getting a bit later too 👍👍
Thank god, some of the snow drifts at the high points round me like pit house look crazy. Height of cars at Stanley

Anyone got a good HM route around Sunlun? Going to push on to get to HM distance. Wanting to do 1st go on tarmac rather than trails etc. Less hills the better too
Depends where starting from but seafront to Cleadon or Shields and back or make a loop. Use Durham rd, Chester Rd etc to make some loops or head south to Ryhope and Seaham then back.

Depends where starting from but seafront to Cleadon or Shields and back or make a loop. Use Durham rd, Chester Rd etc to make some loops or head south to Ryhope and Seaham then back.
From my door I can get onto Chester Road, into town or the Barnes and back up Durham Rd or through silky. Done that for my 10 mile run and ones leading up to it. But fancy something more flat and change of scenery. Sea front sounds best bet

From my door I can get onto Chester Road, into town or the Barnes and back up Durham Rd or through silky. Done that for my 10 mile run and ones leading up to it. But fancy something more flat and change of scenery. Sea front sounds best bet
Bungalow Cafe to Sambucas and back in almost exactly half marathon. It's mainly slightly downhill 1st half, slightly uphill 2nd.

Anyone got a good HM route around Sunlun? Going to push on to get to HM distance. Wanting to do 1st go on tarmac rather than trails etc. Less hills the better too

you can start at the town bridge and run all the way along dame dot and up the coast path to where sheilds starts, and turn back. i did this yesterday, although started at home so turned around a souter lighthouse. i like this route as there is very little in the way of road crossings to hold you up, and the path is relatively wide and flat for most parts. and the views are lovely.

2 downsides- if theres a slight wind, it can feel 10 x worse, usually on the way back. and if its a nice day and after 11ish it can get busy on the path between roker and seaburn

if you want trails, then you can start at ryhope and get onto the back fields/golf course just opposite the albion, and stick to the lines all the way to silky ski slop, run down to the board in, and jump into the back of herrington park, come back up chester road and get onto the back path at grindon and you can follow that all the way through barnes park all the way to chester road (although this technically isnt trials its not on the roads and you can run on the grass etc..) that loop is about 13 miles, i did it a few weeks ago, was class, but i was covered in mud by the time i got home

Last edited:
you can start at the town bridge and run all the way along dame dot and up the coast path to where sheilds starts, and turn back. i did this yesterday, although started at home so turned around a souter lighthouse. i like this route as there is very little in the way of road crossings to hold you up, and the path is relatively wide and flat for most parts. and the views are lovely.

2 downsides- if theres a slight wind, it can feel 10 x worse, usually on the way back. and if its a nice day and after 11ish it can get busy on the path between roker and seaburn

if you want trails, then you can start at ryhope and get onto the back fields/golf course just opposite the albion, and stick to the lines all the way to silky ski slop, run down to the board in, and jump into the back of herrington park, come back up chester road and get onto the back path at grindon and you can follow that all the way through barnes park all the way to chester road (although this technically isnt trials its not on the roads and you can run on the grass etc..) that loop is about 13 miles, i did it a few weeks ago, was class, but i was covered in mud by the time i got home

Going to give the seafront a bash first.

Will do the trails around herra Park, and back of the monument down the Riverside as its on my doorstep.

Had a lovely run yesterday, out of Springwell Village and down to Birtley, past Washington Cricket Club, through Harraton and onto Bonemill Lane before a descent all the way down to Fatfield and past the Riverbar, left at the last pub and a climb up towards Biddick passing St Roberts and Biddick School, right into Washington Village, up spout lane, up through Usworth and home.

9.2 mile in 1hr 12mins at a steady pace, really enjoying it at the moment.

Back