Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm now pretty fixated on doing a half marathon next year. Gives me something to build on.

Is it too late to get a place in the GNR? No idea how it all works.

I'm now pretty fixated on doing a half marathon next year. Gives me something to build on.

Cos this years was cancelled it may be hard as everyone can carry over this years entry... Enter and hopefully you will get a place...

Probably for the GNR because most of the spot are automatically full from last years postponement. 56 out of nowhere is a decent 10k time! I know you do weight training, I have kept up my weight training, but went from it being my primary focus to being secondary once i started feeling so much fitter running...it is is very addictive to me!

It's all about trail running and distance for me though, got no interest in road or track.

You could probably get a charity place like, think they expect a pledge around £500 but may be wrong i haven't done it.

Last edited:
Probably for the GNR because most of the spot are automatically full from last years postponement. 56 out of nowhere is a decent 10k time! I know you do weight training, I have kept up my weight training, but went from it being my primary focus to being secondary once i started feeling so much fitter running...it is is very addictive to me!

It's all about trail running and distance for me though, got no interest in road or track.

You could probably get a charity place like, think they expect a pledge around £500 but may be wrong i haven't done it.

You've given me three and a half minutes there! 59.32. And aye, weight training is still my primary focus. I actually had a heavy deadlift session on Saturday lunchtime so if fully recovered from that I might be 3.5 mins quicker ;)

I've seen the charity place option. Could well go for that.

Fell running seems ace, probably a bit much for me at this stage.

You've given me three and a half minutes there! 59.32. And aye, weight training is still my primary focus. I actually had a heavy deadlift session on Saturday lunchtime so if fully recovered from that I might be 3.5 mins quicker ;)

I've seen the charity place option. Could well go for that.

Just doing a 10k is good! Lots of people starting on this thread can’t do 5k and there’s no shame in that either everyone is starting from different places.

i found, like weight training, that something as basic as consistency can make a huge difference.

I started in April last year so 1.5 years ahead of you, I did a 5k in 29 mins as my first go running. As I picked it up I got towards 8-10 mile runs at a 9min/mile pace.

This year I’ve ran 5-6 marathons and three 50k+ efforts. I ran 10 mile this morning at a 7:50mile/pace.

If you decide you want to get better and give it some commitment you will definitely get better 👍👍 good luck 👍
Nobody judges , just start off doing it and enjoying it and get better. I’m headed down the lakes on Thursday to do some fells , absolute silence and isolation, fitness and amazing views 👍

Last edited:
Just doing a 10k is good! Lots of people starting on this thread can’t do 5k and there’s no shame in that either everyone is starting from different places.

i found, like weight training, that something as basic as consistency can make a huge difference.

I started in April last year so 1.5 years ahead of you, I did a 5k in 29 mins as my first go running. As I picked it up I got towards 8-10 mile runs at a 9min/mile pace.

This year I’ve ran 5-6 marathons and three 50k+ efforts. I ran 10 mile this morning at a 7:50mile/pace.

If you decide you want to get better and give it some commitment you will definitely get better 👍👍 good luck 👍

I'm definitely commited to it like. Its a massive help with weight training. Don't get as gassed on high volume sets. Improves my mood, improves my focus etc'.

And I tend to get fixated on things which is why I want to do a half marathon now :lol:

What I'm picking up here is its about mileage rather than focusing on pace. Which is similar to weight training. Volume is so important.
Nobody judges , just start off doing it and enjoying it and get better. I’m headed down the lakes on Thursday to do some fells , absolute silence and isolation, fitness and amazing views 👍

I used to live on the edge of the peaks in Macclesfield. Running just wasn't on my radar then. Missed opportunity.

Last edited:
I'm definitely commited to it like. Its a massive help with weight training. Don't get as gassed on high volume sets. Improves my mood, improves my focus etc'.

And I tend to get fixated on things which is why I want to do a half marathon now :lol:

What I'm picking up here is its about mileage rather than focusing on pace. Which is similar to weight training. Volume is so important.
That’s been the case for me, but certainly no where near the best runner on this thread so will leave it for others to chip in.

Stick at it though through winter 👍

Ran my first 10k today. Never been over 7.5k before.

59.32. Pretty slow km times starting off as I did the first 5k with my lass who has only just started running. Got progressively faster with my final km being the fastest.

Feel I could knock a fair bit off that if I'm on my own the full distance. Could also lose some of my 96kg and not lug that around but strength is my primary aim :lol:

Just running for enjoyment and to help with my lifting at the moment, but the thought of running a half marathon is looking tempting.
How tall are you?

Hopefully the Sunderland HM will be on next year (May?). I was going to do this year's but luckily I never got round to entering before the virus struck.

Hopefully the Sunderland HM will be on next year (May?). I was going to do this year's but luckily I never got round to entering before the virus struck.

Yeah, its really no sweat which one it is. GNR would be ideal logistically though because its a gentle walk to the start from my house in Newcastle :lol:

I'm 6'2 and same weight but been running for a long time. If you lose a bit weight, it becomes significantly easier.
I lost 30lbs last year and it's made a hell of a difference.
very true... 30lbs is a lot to carry... Well done on losing it...
Aye but it's a nightmare getting out of Shields afterwards
great south is the same... I prefer the low key events more... Got pompey half in feb if it goes ahead... 2000 runners max ...

Last edited:

Just reviewed my split times on Strava and it was 57:44 for the 10km.

59:32 was my total moving time as I did a light shuffle back to my front door without stopping the run on my garmin. So better than I thought.

Reactions: D.A

Maybe have a look at the Saturn or Trail outlaw events, the saturn ones are happening round Durham and are lapped type runs where you can do as many or few as you like. North East Marathon club have some similar events as well up Town moor at Newcastle and around the,ikes of Hamsterly and Druridge bay. Perosnally I prefer events where can turn up and run rather than have to wait round for hours before starting, can have a better community as well as you go to more and more of the smaller events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back