Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I've never seen the benefit of upgrading to a watch with built in navigation function because the vast majority of my runs are road or track but I've dodged a few of my clubs virtual challenges during lockdown because I'd never ran the route before & there wasn't anyone else around my pace doing it.

I would heartily recommend it. Its added so much variation to my routes because it takes away the worry of getting lost. Takes a bit of tinkering setting up fields but it's pretty straightforward and for about 7 or 8 quid a year it's been a great purchase for me.

Been a little while since I posted properly, but I continued to keep an eye on the thread (and continued to run).

Interesting times at the minute, I've been focused
more on running slower but with greater ease and confidence, rather than just looking for PBs. This is partly because my left ankle is still knackered - if I run at my fast pace, the pain starts at a 1-2/10, ramping up after 10-15 mins to a 7/10. It then weirdly dies down to a 2-3 until I finish. If I run slower there's much less pain, and there is no pain at all unless I'm running. I've contacted a physio and will hopefully get in to see him soon - I've been putting it off because it's not bad enough to stop running and I'll look a bit mad if I'm telling him there's no pain any other time!

On the plus side, my longer distance days are really enjoyable and I feel much stronger, though nowhere near my better times and 5ks are more of a killer now. It's confirmed to me that I'm definitely happier doing longer distances rather than short, quick slogs.

York decision by mid August, handy after my two biggest training weeks with a 20 and 22 mile long run just before they deceide so fibgers crossed will go ahead.

Today worst run had in a while just couldnt get legs going and felt like had no energy after 8 miles or so, managed to hit the goal of 15 (midweek long run) so good for mental side if not physical. Probably didnt help myself that ran from Langley Park up to Esh, a bit easier the other way.

Does anyone follow Courtney Dauwalter? She was on the joe rogan podcast a few years ago and is an elite ultra runner. Anyway she is giving 500 miles "a crack" next week in Colorado...mental.

Does anyone follow Courtney Dauwalter? She was on the joe rogan podcast a few years ago and is an elite ultra runner. Anyway she is giving 500 miles "a crack" next week in Colorado...mental.

Yeah, its incredible some of the margins she wins by & the way she dresses makes it look like she's just turned up to give it a go rather than someone who does it full time. Those stories about hallucinating & going blind on runs though :eek:

Yeah, its incredible some of the margins she wins by & the way she dresses makes it look like she's just turned up to give it a go rather than someone who does it full time. Those stories about hallucinating & going blind on runs though :eek:
I've hallucinated before, it's mental and I'd not recommend it anyone!

I've been a bit lazy the last 6 weeks, combination of lack of motivation and getting hammered most weekends around turning 40 in July. Back out last night and the amount of fitness I've lost was a bit of a shock.

York decision by mid August, handy after my two biggest training weeks with a 20 and 22 mile long run just before they deceide so fibgers crossed will go ahead.

Today worst run had in a while just couldnt get legs going and felt like had no energy after 8 miles or so, managed to hit the goal of 15 (midweek long run) so good for mental side if not physical. Probably didnt help myself that ran from Langley Park up to Esh, a bit easier the other way.
Good stuff....just getting back into my training after my injury layoff....8 mile yesterday...groin was ok but lungs felt it. I still hope York is on though

Good stuff....just getting back into my training after my injury layoff....8 mile yesterday...groin was ok but lungs felt it. I still hope York is on though
Yeah threwad has gone bit quiet, 20 miler on Saturday for me so last week equalled my biggest ever week, meant to do 22 miles this Sunday :eek:

Looking to put a big one in on Saturday in the lakes Coniston way, need to work out a route which I am terrible at. Also, has anyone ran the road from Testos roundabout to Heworth? I wouldn't mind running to work in Newcastle some days, but can't picture a safe path to run that segment...is it OK?

Looking to put a big one in on Saturday in the lakes Coniston way, need to work out a route which I am terrible at. Also, has anyone ran the road from Testos roundabout to Heworth? I wouldn't mind running to work in Newcastle some days, but can't picture a safe path to run that segment...is it OK?
Run along follingsby lane, along to heworth golf club, make your way along that way.

During last year's Lakeland 100, I spent a quarter of the race with a bloke who does a podcast. He invited me on it last week and this is the outcome. I was really anxious about doing it, I've had good feedback so decided to post it on here.

Have noticed quite a lot more people acting like utter fuckwits when out and about lately.

Today had 3 couples walking towards me and each time would they fuck move over to allow me to pass. Yet, when I refuse to pass them on the road they make a comment.

Car turning into a farm shop at tile shed almost rams into me as he decided that he didn't have to give way to someone on the path.

Bloke bringing his bin out as I run past his gate. Doesn't even look and I have to jump out of the way or be hit by his bin. he shouts at me as its all my fault.

This all on the last 3 runs.

Have noticed quite a lot more people acting like utter fuckwits when out and about lately.

Today had 3 couples walking towards me and each time would they fuck move over to allow me to pass. Yet, when I refuse to pass them on the road they make a comment.

Car turning into a farm shop at tile shed almost rams into me as he decided that he didn't have to give way to someone on the path.

Bloke bringing his bin out as I run past his gate. Doesn't even look and I have to jump out of the way or be hit by his bin. he shouts at me as its all my fault.

This all on the last 3 runs.
Happens all the time, morons have no concept of walking single file. Forever having to either jog onto the road or into grass to get out the way of people walking 3 abreast. Dog owners as well, some make little effort to reign them in and some don't even bother with leashes.

The main thing is to just keep plugging away. I actually quite like warm weather running now, it's a chance to slow it down a little bit and listen to the body more.
I don't mind going on a warm night but I can't always do that because of work, so I seem to find it a bit harder on a morning anyway. So when its red hot it's a bit of a killer tbh

Just managed a marathon from Windermere, down to Bowness and south to Lakeside, back up west coasts of Windermere and Esthwaite and across to Ambleside.

Was really aiming for a 50k today but that was very tough for me, the hardest marathon I’ve done, mainly because of the heat.
Also: I got
To a point today when it was so hot and I thought I could run out of water that I stopped when I saw a stream into Esthwaite ; I washed my face and filled a bottle to pour on my head, then had a drink & filled some flasks with water for the last
miles.

There’s something primarily satisfying about finding fresh water and drinking it when thirsty..I really enjoyed it 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back