Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are you planning on following to get upto 10k? I am a couple of weeks behind but I never planned on stopping at 5k. My target is to do the half marathon faster than I did the GNR 10 years ago (2hours 10mins) but I am a few stones heavier now so it's awhile away.

Have a read of this post. That was what I did 5 years ago and what I plan to do now. I’ve got one run left on C25K (tomorrow). I did a little interval session on one of my rest days the other day because I just want to run more. I hadn’t deviated from C25K at all up until then. I’m going to do another interval session on Friday, then on Sunday I’m going to set out to do a very slow 10k. I know from last time that I can do it. I won’t be concentrating on my time at all, just making sure I go the distance.

Then from Monday I’ve got a 5-week plan lined up to improve my 5K time. Then I’m going to move onto a 10k plan. Both plans are in ‘Runners World Complete Guide To Running’ which I bought recently. There are training plans in it for all abilities up to and including marathon distance. I always like to have a plan and a target. Just look online though, there are plenty of training plans available. Just pick a distance and a target and you’ll find something.

what are you planning on following to get upto 10k? I am a couple of weeks behind but I never planned on stopping at 5k. My target is to do the half marathon faster than I did the GNR 10 years ago (2hours 10mins) but I am a few stones heavier now so it's awhile away.

It was a long time ago now, but I found getting from 5km to 10km much easier than nothing to 5km. You already have a base to work on, just keep going out there and being sensible with it. Continue with 5km runs and chuck in an extra km or two every now and then, slowly building up. I wouldn't over think it.

completed 5k this morning, easily the furthest I've run since doing the GNR many years ago. It was the last one on week 6 of couch to 5k so it should have been 25min, I felt good so I kept going and completed it in 31mins. Pretty slow but for me being 17stone I am really happy. There are still 3 weeks left of the program working upto where I have just done so I think I'll just continue to follow them and see if I can up the pace slightly to see if when that says I should be doing 30 mins I'm also doing 5k+

Struggled to get motivated this week, was out on Saturday for 4 mile, not been out since
It’s been too warm for me. I ran on Monday evening and I’m doing some short distance work in the morning.

You will be fine once you get started, promise yourself a reward for afterwards.
As you'll know though, you always feel better afterwards. Try and reach acceptance that you're running on a given day, irrespective of how you feel mentally, and after half a mile you'll be glad you're out.
Good post, I read somewhere that a big benefit of training is that it teaches you discipline.

Last edited:
As you'll know though, you always feel better afterwards. Try and reach acceptance that you're running on a given day, irrespective of how you feel mentally, and after half a mile you'll be glad you're out.
Definitely, as @Stevie Freestein II says its been warm, and I think I've been telling myself it's too warm to go out.
Going to drag my self out tomorrow, even a couple of miles is better than nowt

Definitely, as @Stevie Freestein II says its been warm, and I think I've been telling myself it's too warm to go out.
Going to drag my self out tomorrow, even a couple of miles is better than nowt
I usually run at dinner time or early evening but as a last resort I run in the mornings. Try different routes, times, speeds to keep up your interest and motivation.

I’m working to a plan over lockdown so I don’t want to let myself down by not adhering to it.

8km in Thursday and today, now running in pain though after long runs last weekend.
Problem on left forefoot, metatarsal or tendons bother below 3 and 4th toes.
Pain is manageable but you know its there each stride.
Push on through or rest?

8km in Thursday and today, now running in pain though after long runs last weekend.
Push on through or rest?
Rest mate until it feels better, I’m sick of having to rest but every time I try it seems to early and my pains in ankle are still there, scared the few 3milers I have done have put me back a week out 2, now I’m waiting am I’m sure it will heal up eventually

Push on through or rest?

Sounds like a possible Mortons Neuroma. Definitely rest it for a couple of days & when you start again slow right down & drop the distance to no more than 5K. Concentrate on trying to keep your footstrikes as light as possible. If it's still painful then rest for a couple of week & concentrate on low impact cross training instead. If it's still painful after a couple of weeks rest then see a doctor.

Rest mate until it feels better, I’m sick of having to rest but every time I try it seems to early and my pains in ankle are still there, scared the few 3milers I have done have put me back a week out 2, now I’m waiting am I’m sure it will heal up eventually

Yes, think Rest is the way forward.
Sounds like a possible Mortons Neuroma. Definitely rest it for a couple of days & when you start again slow right down & drop the distance to no more than 5K. Concentrate on trying to keep your footstrikes as light as possible. If it's still painful then rest for a couple of week & concentrate on low impact cross training instead. If it's still painful after a couple of weeks rest then see a doctor.

In there lies the problem, heavy size 11s, heavy feet, always found running difficult that way, as it feels like a hard heavy footstrike...but in saying that ive built momentum with the running over lockdown and started enjoying it, was hoping not to break it through injury.

Last edited:
Yes, think Rest is the way forward.

In there lies the problem, heavy size 11s, heavy feet, always found running difficult that way, as it feels like a hard heavy footstrike...but in saying that ive built momentum with the running over lockdown and started enjoying it, was hoping not to break it through injury.
If you break it through injury early you will save yourself being injured bad and having to lay off for longer, just think off it as taking a break fro a week to let everything recover so you can train better afterwards, that’s what I’m trying to do

This might be a stupid question but you know the A19 wear bridge? I see people’s Strava crossing there and wondered if people just run across the road bridge on that thin path or if there’s a lower crossing on foot?

Never actually seen anyone run beside the cars but see loads of Strava runs across it

This might be a stupid question but you know the A19 wear bridge? I see people’s Strava crossing there and wondered if people just run across the road bridge on that thin path or if there’s a lower crossing on foot?

Never actually seen anyone run beside the cars but see loads of Strava runs across it
Nothing underneath. Just the path by the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back