Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye it has helped. I am screenshotting my strava app after a run and sending it to my two best mates for accountability. One of them is a really good runner and the other is really into his kettlebells workouts so we are encouraging each other as much as we can.
There is an SMB club on Strava, although it’s pretty much impossible to tell who is who.

Just joined the Run Nation Running Club. £40 for the year, you get a club vest and a long sleeve shirt, an entry into one of their races in the next year and the English Athletics affiliation so you get discounts on races.... seemed a good deal to me.

@Ciro_DiMarzio just reading your posts and thought I’d contribute. You obviously know your body and limits but this is was my experience when I took up running 5 years ago (I’ve since stopped and taken it up again).

I couldn’t run to the end of the street without being out of breath. I did the C25K plan and that first 5k was just inside 30 minutes. I had a lot left in the tank so followed a program to achieve a 24 minute 5k, which I did.

I read an article that said if you can do a 5k, you can do a 10k. If you can do a 10k, you can do a half marathon. Can’t quite remember if it extended to if you can do a half marathon, you can do a marathon.

So having managed a 24 minute 5k, one day I just went out and attempted 10k having never ran more than 5k and I managed it in about 57/58 minutes. Having managed it, I then followed a program to do a 50 minute 10k. I did my only ever race in the Tees Pride 10k in 48 mins.

So having managed to go from 5k to 10k I thought I’d give the next step a bash and one day went out to attempt a half marathon having never ran more than 10k. Steady away I managed it in about 1hr 52mins iirc. My next goal was to train for a 1hr 40min half marathon but I didn’t get my place in the GNR and my training went downhill. I got a cold that I couldn’t shift over the winter and lost all interest and stopped.

That was 5 years ago, and having started again I’m starting to wish I’d never stopped. Who knows what times I’d be doing now.

did my first speed* run this morning with the Nike Running Club App... didn't realise I had to self monitor the intervals so over did the first lap and it was filled with steep hills so not great numbers but a good workout, got back did some floor work and ended up dancing around for a while and now feeling great, hope to god they don't revoke outside time

*ha ha ha

Recommendations for the best running vest? I've almost bought the Salomon s-lab this morning and it reads really well for what i want - but at £150 I wondered if there's better value out there? Zip for mobile phone, house & car key, and easy access water, is what I need

Recommendations for the best running vest? I've almost bought the Salomon s-lab this morning and it reads really well for what i want - but at £150 I wondered if there's better value out there? Zip for mobile phone, house & car key, and easy access water, is what I need
I'm sure you could get it cheaper. I dont have anything less than 12l. I have Salomon and ultimate direction. Montane have good bags too.

@Ciro_DiMarzio just reading your posts and thought I’d contribute. You obviously know your body and limits but this is was my experience when I took up running 5 years ago (I’ve since stopped and taken it up again).

I couldn’t run to the end of the street without being out of breath. I did the C25K plan and that first 5k was just inside 30 minutes. I had a lot left in the tank so followed a program to achieve a 24 minute 5k, which I did.

I read an article that said if you can do a 5k, you can do a 10k. If you can do a 10k, you can do a half marathon. Can’t quite remember if it extended to if you can do a half marathon, you can do a marathon.

So having managed a 24 minute 5k, one day I just went out and attempted 10k having never ran more than 5k and I managed it in about 57/58 minutes. Having managed it, I then followed a program to do a 50 minute 10k. I did my only ever race in the Tees Pride 10k in 48 mins.

So having managed to go from 5k to 10k I thought I’d give the next step a bash and one day went out to attempt a half marathon having never ran more than 10k. Steady away I managed it in about 1hr 52mins iirc. My next goal was to train for a 1hr 40min half marathon but I didn’t get my place in the GNR and my training went downhill. I got a cold that I couldn’t shift over the winter and lost all interest and stopped.

That was 5 years ago, and having started again I’m starting to wish I’d never stopped. Who knows what times I’d be doing now.

I did feel I had plenty in the tank after my 6k yesterday. Not enough to do a 10k like. Will see how I get on upping my distance over the next few weeks.

Pushed slightly too hard Sunday I think and as a result I still don’t have my legs back yet, lesson learned.

Gentle miles the rest of the week after a rest day tomorrow ready to repeat this week of the plan next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back