Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the thoughts in fuel during a long run. Up to 15 miles and just been hoying jelly babies in my gob.

Pub last night and mate who has ran a marathon before, says I need gels as jelly babies wont cut it?
I don't use anything for up to 16 miles or so. Just a drink of water before I do a morning run. Do jelly babies work for you?

Last edited:

I don't use anything for up to 16 miles or so. Just a drink of water before I do a morning run. Do jelly babies work for you?

I guess. Seems that 60g of carbs is the going rate per hour, which appears to 12 jelly babies, so that's a hell a lot of jelly babies to carry during the marathon.

Yesterday, I started feeling it in my legs around 10 miles, wasn't tired just sore, which seems to be the norm. Got past 13 and then kept on plodding along (jelly babies were gone by then).

I guess. Seems that 60g of carbs is the going rate per hour, which appears to 12 jelly babies, so that's a hell a lot of jelly babies to carry during the marathon.

Yesterday, I started feeling it in my legs around 10 miles, wasn't tired just sore, which seems to be the norm. Got past 13 and then kept on plodding along (jelly babies were gone by then).
Your body will have enough fuel to last. I used 1 gel last week at around 12 miles into an 18 miler, had porridge for breakfast. I use the iso gels by high 5.

Same.

What is the thoughts in fuel during a long run. Up to 15 miles and just been hoying jelly babies in my gob.

Pub last night and mate who has ran a marathon before, says I need gels as jelly babies wont cut it?

Gels make me bork. I use Dextro Energy tablets & wine gums in combination.

Last edited:
Was going ok today for ten miles, hit Chester parkrun as the tail was starting and got caught up in the traffic. Last 3 miles were 1 minute a mile slower than I’d been going

I am officially an ultra marathon finisher! My first one, it means a lot to me given the first one I ran I decided to DNF at the marathon distance.
A flat course made difficult by a high percentage of the race ran on sand trails + beach, and at times very difficult wind and hale.

36.35 miles from Alnwick Castle to Alnmouth, up to Bamburgh Castle and then a 7 mile loop circle finishing back / just past the castle.

I am forced into two weeks of no running now , not so much because of this (although probably not a bad thing) and when I am back I am going to focus on my 5k & 10k times after what seems like forever trying to get over an Ultra finish line.

Last edited:
I am officially an ultra marathon finisher! My first one, it means a lot to me given the first one I ran I decided to DNF at the marathon distance.
A flat course made difficult by a high percentage of the race ran on sand trails + beach, and at times very difficult wind and hale.

36.35 miles from Alnwick Castle to Alnmouth, up to Bamburgh Castle and then a 7 mile loop circle finishing back / just past the castle.

I am forced into two weeks of no running now , not so much because of this (although probably not a bad thing) and when I am back I am going to focus on my 5k & 10k times after what seems like forever trying to get over an Ultra finish line.
Cracking mate, well done

Well done marra. Why are you forced?

It was mate! The mud was worse than at Aykley Heads and a few knee high deep bogs as well.

Won by Calum Johnson from Gateshead Harriers. 43mins odd for 8 miles on that course is ridiculous. Well done to the lad.

Our main man was over 50 minutes so I knew it was tough but aye that time is class! How did you get on mate? The bits I’ve seen looked really bad, you at Alnwick next week?

It was mate! The mud was worse than at Aykley Heads and a few knee high deep bogs as well.

Won by Calum Johnson from Gateshead Harriers. 43mins odd for 8 miles on that course is ridiculous. Well done to the lad.
8 miles in 43 minutes on a track sounds ridiculous to me, on the track you're suggesting is incredible. Fair play to him !

Our main man was over 50 minutes so I knew it was tough but aye that time is class! How did you get on mate? The bits I’ve seen looked really bad, you at Alnwick next week?
I had a canny enough run cheers, 53:40ish. Wasn't looking forward so much as I'd been struggling for a week with niggles etc but felt alright.

Yes, I'm running at Alnwick. The Nationals was a great event but there's more riding on the Harrier League for us. Are you going? You lads are going well.

I had a canny enough run cheers, 53:40ish. Wasn't looking forward so much as I'd been struggling for a week with niggles etc but felt alright.

Yes, I'm running at Alnwick. The Nationals was a great event but there's more riding on the Harrier League for us. Are you going? You lads are going well.
You a shields harrier?
That callum Johnson is a pro triathlete like. Pleased a local won, loved the emotion at the finish.

Aye, I wont trouble the major placings but I’ll plod round. We are in the hunt aye, I’m unsure who’s turning out from our lot to be honest but I think there’ll be some swift lads as we are keen to hold where we are at least.

Thigh high Clarts in the photos I've seen.

Aye some of the real veterans from our lot were saying it’s one of the worst they’ve seen.
@D.A I run for Sunderland Harriers. I heard Calum was a triathlete but hadn't realised he was pro. Plenty of training opportunities for him then.

@Charlestonian Good luck to you and the team. Some good lads at your club.

I didn’t get a notification for this, aye it’s class to be honest, a lot of competitiveness but no egos, I love it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0751HV...ea2a856965bd9a70827c16230509aa&language=en_GB

Decent deal that if anyone is thinking about a new watch!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back