Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 49th year, ive applied for GNR, seen a bit of the coverage over the 40th year and got a bit nostaligic, not sure how my knees will cope!
Going to give the Shields park run ago this Saturday.
A trundle along the seafront...

Most knee (or other joint) issues are because of building up the mileage too quickly. Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week & you should be fine

Been avidly dot watching the spine race all week and really got into it, they are completely insane, thought the record was going to go at one point on the last day, but it got me looking forward to st Cuthbert's way, you signed up yet @D.A ?

Been avidly dot watching the spine race all week and really got into it, they are completely insane, thought the record was going to go at one point on the last day, but it got me looking forward to st Cuthbert's way, you signed up yet @D.A ?
No 😂 I can't sign up to everything...I'll see if I can fit it in.
Sunderland strollers launch their annual beginners course on Monday 20th Jan 2020.

The aim is at the end of 16 weeks you will be able to run / jog approx 5 mile in an hour or under.

Don’t miss out as it only happens once a year and even if you are nervous, the Strollers are a friendly group and will welcome and encourage you.
First few weeks of the sixteen week course start off with a 2 mile flattish route. We go in six groups depending on current ability. Pack 1 being you can already run (not fast) approx 2 mile, all the way to, pack 6, not ran before but could manage the two mile at a very slow jog or walk.

Any questions just ask...

Last edited:
No 😂 I can't sign up to everything...I'll see if I can fit it in.
Sunderland strollers launch their annual beginners course on Monday 20th Jan 2020.

The aim is at the end of 16 weeks you will be able to run / jog approx 5 mile in an hour or under.

Don’t miss out as it only happens once a year and even if you are nervous, the Strollers are a friendly group and will welcome and encourage you.
First few weeks of the sixteen week course start off with a 2 mile flattish route. We go in six groups depending on current ability. Pack 1 being you can already run (not fast) approx 2 mile, all the way to, pack 6, not ran before but could manage the two mile at a very slow jog or walk.

Any questions just ask...

I'm not even sure if I'm going up yet, with the majority of it being in the middle of the night not sure how will manage to be out in it the cold with the baby.

David's coming along tomorrow night, he had plenty of excuses so hopefully he does turn up or there'll be bother :lol:

I'm not even sure if I'm going up yet, with the majority of it being in the middle of the night not sure how will manage to be out in it the cold with the baby.

David's coming along tomorrow night, he had plenty of excuses so hopefully he does turn up or there'll be bother :lol:
Ask for an indoor checkpoint!

Tell him to get his arse there, and to take people with him.

Ask for an indoor checkpoint!

Tell him to get his arse there, and to take people with him.
It'll be enough to get him there never mind anyone else :lol:

We might just book a b and b for a night and he can go Marshall on the night and we will get a good night's sleep

Reactions: D.A
The 45m St cuthberts way looks interesting for me but I don't know if I will be living here or in America at that time, doing my head in. I have signed up for the GNR though and may have to pay the £58 as if I am here I definitely want to do that for the first time this year - felt I was missing out last year.

Lovely winters morning run out yesterday morning along the coast.

Last edited:
The 45m St cuthberts way looks interesting for me but I don't know if I will be living here or in America at that time, doing my head in. I have signed up for the GNR though and may have to pay the £58 as if I am here I definitely want to do that for the first time this year - felt I was missing out last year.

Lovely winters morning run out yesterday morning along the coast.
There's usually still places for scw up to a few weeks before. Should be easier this year running at night in the cooler weather

Really enjoying it at the moment, combined with a strength program at the gym.

6.5 miles today in 50 minutes, ended up getting lost around the golf course and the route was caked in mud, so abit annoyed at myself for going that way instead of sticking to the normal paths.

Just reading about the guy from Derwent Valley Trail Runners who collapsed with heart attack at the Birtley Masters XC on Sunday. Only 48.

Thank goodness for the paramedics and medical staff who were in attendance who probably saved him.

Almost £1500 raised for the air ambulance which is a great response from the running community.

Buzzing for a big run at Ullswater this Saturday. Love the place, certain places on the loop are amazing.

The weather is for thick cloud all day but still...

Just reading about the guy from Derwent Valley Trail Runners who collapsed with heart attack at the Birtley Masters XC on Sunday. Only 48.

Thank goodness for the paramedics and medical staff who were in attendance who probably saved him.

Almost £1500 raised for the air ambulance which is a great response from the running community.
Seen that. A great response as you say.

Similar thing happened at the coastal run couple years ago. Guy had a heart attack and collapsed at 12 miles. The Morpeth Harrier who won the race was on his warm down when he collapsed. He then legged it back to the finish to get the defib then legged it back to 12 mile mark. At this point a Heaton harrier who is a doctor at RVI was in attendance and they revived the guy as the air ambulance touched down.

He made a full recovery and finished London marathon in 2:45 last year

Seen that. A great response as you say.

Similar thing happened at the coastal run couple years ago. Guy had a heart attack and collapsed at 12 miles. The Morpeth Harrier who won the race was on his warm down when he collapsed. He then legged it back to the finish to get the defib then legged it back to 12 mile mark. At this point a Heaton harrier who is a doctor at RVI was in attendance and they revived the guy as the air ambulance touched down.

He made a full recovery and finished London marathon in 2:45 last year
Nee one likes a show off.

Got back from work today and ran late on which I've not done for ages. Runs are normally first thing, or around mid day.

Felt a bit peckish before hand and ate a mars bar which I've never done before. Ran 6 miles in 45.26 which was 2 minutes quicker than I've ever ran it. Felt great throughout and 2 minutes is a massive difference.

Anyway, did the chocolate, help? Or it could have been one of those runs where its just a good run.

Reactions: D.A
Got back from work today and ran late on which I've not done for ages. Runs are normally first thing, or around mid day.

Felt a bit peckish before hand and ate a mars bar which I've never done before. Ran 6 miles in 45.26 which was 2 minutes quicker than I've ever ran it. Felt great throughout and 2 minutes is a massive difference.

Anyway, did the chocolate, help? Or it could have been one of those runs where its just a good run.
I've always got more energy on an evening, wierdly Sunday nights are my favourite. Seem to rattle out decent times and feel like I've got plenty of energy.

Hate running first thing on a morning, I put it down to is not being fuelled properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back