Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Update from me, a new runner in 2020.

So after finishing C25K in April, I plodded on, then in the summer kicked on to build up to running for a whole hour, which I can now do - I do 7k exactly in one hour. I hit this target in about October, and ever since I've consolidated at that, doing 1 x 20mins, 1 x 30mins and 1 x 60 mins each week.

I now think I'm ready to kick on to a 10k and will start following a plan for that soon.

Lessons learnt:

1. I get to one achievement then need to consolidate at that level for a couple of months before the next thing.
2. I'm slow, I'm not very good at it, and I don't care about either of these facts.
3. Why didn't someone tell me the long runs are the best?!

Entered two races this morning. The winter wipeout half marathon on 16th January, and the CTS Northumberland in February.

16th Jan: WW Half marathon
6th February: Pendle Way in a Day - 45 mile **waiting list**
27th Feb: CTS Northumberland - 32 mile
24th April: Derwentwater Daudle - 23 mile
26th June: Lakeland 5 Passes - 32 miles

I'm ideally looking to add a 50 mile race that's a suitable training run for the 5 passes in April / May.

Update from me, a new runner in 2020.

So after finishing C25K in April, I plodded on, then in the summer kicked on to build up to running for a whole hour, which I can now do - I do 7k exactly in one hour. I hit this target in about October, and ever since I've consolidated at that, doing 1 x 20mins, 1 x 30mins and 1 x 60 mins each week.

I now think I'm ready to kick on to a 10k and will start following a plan for that soon.

Lessons learnt:

1. I get to one achievement then need to consolidate at that level for a couple of months before the next thing.
2. I'm slow, I'm not very good at it, and I don't care about either of these facts.
3. Why didn't someone tell me the long runs are the best?!

Great update. Have you considered 5 miles as an intermediate goal? It's only 1k further than you're currently doing on your longest run & only 1.2 Miles short of your 10K goal.

Great update. Have you considered 5 miles as an intermediate goal? It's only 1k further than you're currently doing on your longest run & only 1.2 Miles short of your 10K goal.
Good shout. I have got my head round kms though. but I may give this a go.

In other news, what do people wear in the winter? I quite like spoiling myself with kit and have become obsessed with Ronhill. What's a basic kit for winter running oh wise runners of the SMB? I have been looking at this:

Women's Life Nightrunner Jacket (now sold out but ebay may be my friend)

And this:

Women's Tech Winter Gilet

In other news, what do people wear in the winter? I quite like spoiling myself with kit and have become obsessed with Ronhill. What's a basic kit for winter running oh wise runners of the SMB? I have been looking at this:

And this:

I tend to wear shorts and t-shirt/long sleeve as I sweat too much. Check out sportsshoes.com - racebest10 for 10% discount.

And this:

I generally don't have much winter specific running gear as I still sweat loads anyway but for long slow runs when its really cold I've got some long sleeved compression tops (sub sports), a couple of pairs of Ron Hill Tracksters & a couple of hi-viz softshell jackets. For night running I've got some proviz shorts & a proviz gilet which are ridiculously reflective & a rechargeable head torch.

Start Fitness have a very similar Ron Hill jacket to the one you linked to in stock Ron Hill Life Nightrunner Womens Running Jacket Pink

I only move from shorts to the longer tights for winter, might wear my Ron Hill windproof jacket and some gloves but half the time k=jacket ends up off and tied round the waist same reasons as others get too warm and sweat.

And this:

This just popped up on my facebook . Topical. The best base layers designed to keep you warm when running this winter

Went off road on Monday night round the monument and Riverside. Ran my furthest at 13.5km. This time last year I could just about manage the 3.5km.
I need some better trail shoes mind, I was like bambi on ice on the more muddy bits

What are you using at the moment? Are you mostly looking for a shoe for trails that are mostly mud or just a better all-rounder?

What are you using at the moment? Are you mostly looking for a shoe for trails that are mostly mud or just a better all-rounder?
I've started using a pair of Hoka ATR that seem to be really good door to trail shoes, are better down the line where its slightly muddy, have some inov8 proper trail shoes and dont think they quite as good for the less traily parts of my run.

Dunno on the type, but some new balance, I'm sure when I bought them it mentioned off road shoes. They have bigger grips than the Nike road ones I got the other week. But I think the grips could do with being a bit bigger as they didn't cope well in mud at all

I've started using a pair of Hoka ATR that seem to be really good door to trail shoes, are better down the line where its slightly muddy, have some inov8 proper trail shoes and dont think they quite as good for the less traily parts of my run.

Yeah, I've got Asics Fujitrabuco which are great door to trail & for rocky, gravelly type trails & even shallow mud but the deep sloppy stuff defeats them every time. I've got some Inov8 Roclites as well but wouldn't dream of taking them on predominantly muddy trails. My more Mile Cheviots are fantastic for deep sloppy mud but leave my legs feeling wrecked if I do any sort of distance off that surface in them. The new versions are supposed to be much better all rounders though.
Dunno on the type, but some new balance, I'm sure when I bought them it mentioned off road shoes. They have bigger grips than the Nike road ones I got the other week. But I think the grips could do with being a bit bigger as they didn't cope well in mud at all

Probably the best shoe out there for mud is the Inov8 Mudclaw & the Inov8 X-Talon has pretty deep cleats as well but are more multi terrain. I know @D.A. is a fan of Saucony Peregrines so he might be able to tell you what they're like in mud.

If you're on a budget More Mile Cheviot 4s are excellent in mud but are tough on the legs for harder surfaces & Start fitness have them reduced to £25. If you're looking for a more multi terrain shoe the Cheviot Pace still has decent lug depth & I'm told are much kinder on the legs for harder packed stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got Asics Fujitrabuco which are great door to trail & for rocky, gravelly type trails & even shallow mud but the deep sloppy stuff defeats them every time. I've got some Inov8 Roclites as well but wouldn't dream of taking them on predominantly muddy trails. My more Mile Cheviots are fantastic for deep sloppy mud but leave my legs feeling wrecked if I do any sort of distance off that surface in them. The new versions are supposed to be much better all rounders though.

Probably the best shoe out there for mud is the Inov8 Mudclaw & the Inov8 X-Talon has pretty deep cleats as well but are more multi terrain. I know @D.A. is a fan of Saucony Peregrines so he might be able to tell you what they're like in mud.

If you're on a budget More Mile Cheviot 4s are excellent in mud but are tough on the legs for harder surfaces & Start fitness have them reduced to £25. If you're looking for a more multi terrain shoe the Cheviot Pace still has decent lug depth & I'm told are much kinder on the legs for harder packed stuff.
I'm really disappointed with the latest saucony peregrines, they seem too rigid and hurt my feet. Hoping they relax a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back