Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s probably a bit too quick for me at the moment, I’m not ready for a <20minute attempt yet.
Just do your tempo a little slower, if you use to much on one run mate your training will suffer, you have to think of the long run, if I have a race planned for 3month time I will just build to the quick tempo maybe 2-3 of them running up to the race, but the 1st few will just be about getting used to the pace again, I’ve got hopefully about 10 more days of waiting for my ankle to get better before I can start again properly and I cannot wait, did 4m on Monday and I could barely walk yesterday on the ankle, fine today mind
How long rest? Interval training absolutely paggers me.
That depends on your mate, 400s I take 60, 800 90-120 secs And miles I take 3-5 minutes, but there is no set standard the more you get used to them the less you will rest

Last edited:
Just do your tempo a little slower, if you use to much on one run mate your training will suffer, you have to think of the long run, if I have a race planned for 3month time I will just build to the quick tempo maybe 2-3 of them running up to the race, but the 1st few will just be about getting used to the pace again, I’ve got hopefully about 10 more days of waiting for my ankle to get better before I can start again properly and I cannot wait, did 4m on Monday and I could barely walk yesterday on the ankle, fine today mind

That depends on your mate, 400s I take 60, 800 90-120 secs And miles I take 3-5 minutes, but there is no set standard the more you get used to them the less you will rest

Daft question but do you stop and stand still, slow to a jog or walk during your rest?

Again mate it’s down to personal preference, I would normally just slow it down to walk/jog but nothing wrong with just standing still as it’s all about recovering a bit

I run round Hetton Lake on my route. Not sure how big it is but I'm guessing approx 800 metres so a canny location for me to start.

Thank you.
Daft question but do you stop and stand still, slow to a jog or walk during your rest?
This is what I have been doing:

• 400m Reps – these need to be at 6:15 p/m pace (93s per lap) with a 60sec standing recovery.
  • 800m Reps – should be reps at 6:25p/m pace (3:12 per 800m) with a 200m jogged recovery.
  • 1km Intervals – hit 6:25p/m pace (4:00 per km) with a 90sec jogged recovery.

Last edited:
Could anyone help with ideas for a tempo run for a sub 20mins 5k?

From what I understand I warm up then I need to run at about 30 seconds slower than race pace for a few miles? Then cool down.

Tempo runs by pace are a bit tricky because race pace is normally done when fully recovered after a taper. If possible you should do it by heart rate & you're looking to maintain the top end of zone 3.

Tempo runs by pace are a bit tricky because race pace is normally done when fully recovered after a taper. If possible you should do it by heart rate & you're looking to maintain the top end of zone 3.
I would love to be able to do it by hr, but my hr is just crazy at times, before the dalton park 5m last year my hr was 182 and my mouth as dry as it has ever been, thought I was in for a shit race, ended up with a 1 minute pb of 30.30, sometimes in slow runs my hr is 160 plus but it does not feel like that, then other days it’s 140 were it should in theory be, tried 3 different hr monitors and it’s the same in all them, that’s why I stick with pace not hr

Thank you.

This is what I have been doing:

• 400m Reps – these need to be at 6:15 p/m pace (93s per lap) with a 60sec standing recovery.
  • 800m Reps – should be reps at 6:25p/m pace (3:12 per 800m) with a 200m jogged recovery.
  • 1km Intervals – hit 6:25p/m pace (4:00 per km) with a 90sec jogged recovery.

I'll be a much slower pace but cheers. I'm just trying to get a sub 25 min 5k for now.

I would love to be able to do it by hr, but my hr is just crazy at times, before the dalton park 5m last year my hr was 182 and my mouth as dry as it has ever been, thought I was in for a shit race, ended up with a 1 minute pb of 30.30, sometimes in slow runs my hr is 160 plus but it does not feel like that, then other days it’s 140 were it should in theory be, tried 3 different hr monitors and it’s the same in all them, that’s why I stick with pace not hr

This is why it's important to do things by heart rate not pace. If your heart rate is 160 you're doing at least a threshold run not a slow run, regardless what your pace/intention is. Your heart rate is affected by where you are in your recovery from your last exercise & also things like illness, when & what your last meal was etc.

Last edited:
How long rest? Interval training absolutely paggers me.
90 secs, which I walked. I’d usually jog but seeing as I haven’t done anything like this in two months I thought I’d play it safe.

8 min miles was the target, managed to beat it which I was pleased about. The second one was 7 minutes.
0.5 mile warm up. 0.5 cool down

Last edited:
For tempo runs I would definitely recommend finding a route that's helpful with an elevation loss and possibly with the wind direction helping.

I used to think that was 'cheating' a bit but I've changed my mind about it. It's much easier to find a sustainable pace this way and makes it far more likely to be a successful session if you're particularly if you're new to tempos or you've not done any for a while. Getting yourself through it becomes a habit.

Obviously probably best to avoid any severe downhill bits and try to just cruise on the most generous sections.

I really like Rich Roll and it was his and Jureks books that started me looking at being vegan, funnily enough he gets a bunch of hate off some people for some of the guests he has on, recently had some meat farmers on. Goggins has been on Rich Rolls podcast twice, he seemed to be the one that gave him the intial break but he then said the same old stuff on Joe Rogan as well but they did say the way the audio book was done was really good. I'm curently reading Ronnie O'Sullivans book Running which is his memoir but he talks about running more than snooker so far.
Yeah, i think the chronology was telling the story on Rich Rolls which i've now listened too - and getting picked up on how crazy his story was, and then invited to Rogan. From there including me his followers went through the roof in time for the book release...but his book is the definitive, i loved it.

I enjoyed the first 1.5 hours of Eat and Run, ill probably finish it over the next week or two.

just out for a 5k along the sea front, 21:08.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first 1.5 hours of Eat and Run, ill probably finish it over the next week or two.
I wasnt as keen on Jureks book, although was 5 years ago when read it, found him a bit condencending generally more on the running than his eating though.

Gone back to wearing proper chest HRM looks like my atch was under reporting a bit especially on hills, couple more ten milers done will do another sublt run tomorrow. Have now got stats on time on ground and which foot spends longer not really sure what to do with it though lol. My cadence has been 180-185 on most runs for ages anyway.

Knees felt ok this morning so went out for a slow 10km, going as steady as I wanted. Everything felt surprisingly strong but I didn't want to push my luck so kept to a slow pace. The weather was absolutely perfect too.

Did it in 57:35, but it felt like it could have been a day for a PB (around 51:20) if I went for it and wasn't recovering, which is slightly frustrating. However, I did notice that my knees twinge on the tarmac sections of my usual run and then my ankles start to go on the uneven grass terrain, so it's given me some things to research - if I pushed myself at all I wouldn't have noticed this variation, so that's a positive.

Knees felt ok this morning so went out for a slow 10km, going as steady as I wanted. Everything felt surprisingly strong but I didn't want to push my luck so kept to a slow pace. The weather was absolutely perfect too.

Did it in 57:35, but it felt like it could have been a day for a PB (around 51:20) if I went for it and wasn't recovering, which is slightly frustrating. However, I did notice that my knees twinge on the tarmac sections of my usual run and then my ankles start to go on the uneven grass terrain, so it's given me some things to research - if I pushed myself at all I wouldn't have noticed this variation, so that's a positive.

Maybe worth looking at getting a gait check & a more cushioned shoe until your joints are a bit more seasoned. Apparently the proper running shops are doing telephone consultations or there's the Brooks Shoe Finder online Brooks Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back