Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone got any much needed advice on running shoes? Would love to know what others are wearing as im having major problems with knee pain. I have been reduced to walking only because of it for about 4 month now. My problem started about 8 months ago and i tried to persevere, rest for a couple weeks here n there but no change. Within 5-10 mins of running the outer part of my left knee starts to hurt and within a minute im in agony and have to stop. Strange thing is i can never sort of pin point exactly where the pain is coming from but anyway.

Ive always wore adidas adios for all my running, indoor on a treadmill, outdoor on pavement and off-road but speaking to a couple of family members they have suggested maybe change my running shoes to a more cushioned shoe as the cushion on mine are quite thin. I have my doubts as ive worn these for about 6/7 years (not the same pair) now and never had a problem with them.

That said, im absolutely willing to try a new pair and see if it makes any difference.

Anyone got any much needed advice on running shoes? Would love to know what others are wearing as im having major problems with knee pain. I have been reduced to walking only because of it for about 4 month now. My problem started about 8 months ago and i tried to persevere, rest for a couple weeks here n there but no change. Within 5-10 mins of running the outer part of my left knee starts to hurt and within a minute im in agony and have to stop. Strange thing is i can never sort of pin point exactly where the pain is coming from but anyway.

Ive always wore adidas adios for all my running, indoor on a treadmill, outdoor on pavement and off-road but speaking to a couple of family members they have suggested maybe change my running shoes to a more cushioned shoe as the cushion on mine are quite thin. I have my doubts as ive worn these for about 6/7 years (not the same pair) now and never had a problem with them.

That said, im absolutely willing to try a new pair and see if it makes any difference.
I've been lucky enough in my 4 years of running to have no real injuries (had mild shin splints once but that's it) but the Reebok floatrides 1.0 and now 2.0 have been spot on for me. You can get your running gait analysed, probably not in this climate, and have shoes tailored for you if not mistaken.....don't recall where like

Last edited:

Originally designed for top marathon runners, these sleek neutral shoes for men combine ultralight materials with adidas' most responsive cushioning. The highly breathable mesh upper offers a locked-down fit for racing and fast training.

To me, it sounds like you're having it band issues. Have you got a foam roller?

Go on the brooks website, do the shoe finder thing. I would reccomend either glycerin or ghost, both a neutral trainer but glycerin has more cushioning.

Got back to some running this week, first time since August. Had been struggling with a sore knee and finally got the time to get stuck into the physio to tidy that up, so took a few tentative steps around the block. Now it's all about getting back to where I was in the summer, when I was just about to break 25 mins for a 5k. Feels like I'm starting from scratch again, which is a bit frustrating. Knee held up fine, though, so that's encouraging. Just want to push the distance a little bit with each run for now until I'm doing 5k comfortably again.

Originally designed for top marathon runners, these sleek neutral shoes for men combine ultralight materials with adidas' most responsive cushioning. The highly breathable mesh upper offers a locked-down fit for racing and fast training.

Go on the brooks website, do the shoe finder thing. I would reccomend either glycerin or ghost, both a neutral trainer but glycerin has more cushioning.
Thanks for reply, do you think my adidas shoes are a potential problem ? I dont have a roller but im looking up it band as i type this, see what i can find and if it correlates with my symptoms.

Got back to some running this week, first time since August. Had been struggling with a sore knee and finally got the time to get stuck into the physio to tidy that up, so took a few tentative steps around the block. Now it's all about getting back to where I was in the summer, when I was just about to break 25 mins for a 5k. Feels like I'm starting from scratch again, which is a bit frustrating. Knee held up fine, though, so that's encouraging. Just want to push the distance a little bit with each run for now until I'm doing 5k comfortably again.

Youre starting from scratch but from your experience youll know what training works for you and what doesnt, youll be back quicker than last time!

Thanks for reply, do you think my adidas shoes are a potential problem ? I dont have a roller but im looking up it band as i type this, see what i can find and if it correlates with my symptoms.

I got some resistance bands when I was having bother, they really helped me. A change of shoes can’t hurt either, have you got a bit of room in them? Your feet swell when you run so you want to go up half a size ideally.

5km in 23:56 which considering the heat I'm happy with. The first lap was 11:45 which would have been around a PB but in the second half the heat got the better of me. The biggest concern is I've hurt my knee. In 5+ years of on/off running I've never had an injury into now! It felt not normal but ok beforehand and movement was fine with no pain - more like a feeling of pressure? When I finished the run it started to swell and hurt, with limited movement. Now it's hurting a fair bit when I'm using it. Will just need to be patient I suppose but it's a weird thing for me.

Good call. I wear Ghosts based on a recommendation from Northern Runner and they're superb.

IT band is a common reason for knee pain, or possibly weak glutes?

Went for a random PB attempt this morning- ran a pretty generous downhill course but managed to take 40+ seconds off a 13 year 10K PB. Wish I could claim it as official.

It's been frustrating that I've been running better than ever without having that good time to back it up, so just went for it.

Last edited:
Massively, they won't have much cushioning or support.

Years ago I had a bad knee, I had the wrong type of trainers.

Massively, they won't have much cushioning or support.

Years ago I had a bad knee, I had the wrong type of trainers.
Thanks for your advice, will look at giving a new pair of shoes a try. I got nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back