Running Thread 2019

Been to see the cardio rehab team today. Had me marching up and down the corridor with a heart rate monitor on. :lol:
Still a long way to go before I can start running but at least I've got a bit of a plan now. I have to warm up even when going for a walk, including walking from the Metro to work, so I'm going to look mental walking ridiculously slowly then speeding up after ten minutes. For now she doesn't want my heart rate going above the mid to late 80s so running is out of the question.

Been to see the cardio rehab team today. Had me marching up and down the corridor with a heart rate monitor on. :lol:
Still a long way to go before I can start running but at least I've got a bit of a plan now. I have to warm up even when going for a walk, including walking from the Metro to work, so I'm going to look mental walking ridiculously slowly then speeding up after ten minutes. For now she doesn't want my heart rate going above the mid to late 80s so running is out of the question.
My heart rate doesn’t get above that when doing weight training - could you spend the time doing some strength and conditioning without stressing the heart?

When I do high reps it probably gets around there but 5x5 stuff doesn’t really get my heart pumping much

Last edited:
My heart rate doesn’t get above that when doing weight training - could you spend the time doing some strength and conditioning without stressing the heart?

When I do high reps it probably gets around there but 5x5 stuff doesn’t really get my heart pumping much
Possibly. I'll look into it. Just need to start building the cardio up gradually but it's walking for now. I'm going to join the gym again but I'm going to hit all the New Year Resolutioners.
Had a canny walk along the front first thing but I've been advised against running early in the morning when I eventually get to that point due to the medication and the fact I have to eat something first. I'd always eat before a long run but if I was just doing a 5k or something similar I wouldn't bother.

Had a few rough months hear, diagnosed with ibs and it really hindered me for 3-4 month, just took 6 weeks off to try and relax and rest, I have some new meds that seem to be doing the trick, I then get a chest infection last week that has stopped any chance of running, I am planning to start jan the 1st about half a stone heavier than I’m April this year when I did 18.12 for the 5k, hoping for a better 2020 and really hope the ibs med keeps working as the pains were horrid(no pain for 2 weeks now)

Frost / ice has done for my plan to run this morning. Probably for the best as still have a niggle.

Headed to the gym for an hour on the elliptical machine...

Last race of the year this morning at the always undulating Saltwell Park. . finishing the year in good shape and looking forward to kicking on in 2020. Either that or I’ll get injured :)
Merry Christmas ladies and gents

Last race of the year this morning at the always undulating Saltwell Park. . finishing the year in good shape and looking forward to kicking on in 2020. Either that or I’ll get injured :)
Merry Christmas ladies and gents
Good to hear mate . You running well . Reckon your Barnet will only last one more season though

Canny run, well done. Course pb for me, not bad considering I got to bed at 4am.
Well done Dan, saw you dropping your bag off. Managed 45 mins but I've done nowt since Las Vegas half last month, and probably put on half a stone since then, so I'm happy enough with it. Just a good fun run before Christmas really. Last time I did it I lost the whiskey, so just keeping hold of that for a sup over the next week will go down as a success ;)

Well done Dan, saw you dropping your bag off. Managed 45 mins but I've done nowt since Las Vegas half last month, and probably put on half a stone since then, so I'm happy enough with it. Just a good fun run before Christmas really. Last time I did it I lost the whiskey, so just keeping hold of that for a sup over the next week will go down as a success ;)
Nice one. I would love to do the Vegas run!

Nice one. I would love to do the Vegas run!
It's nice and flat and basically a straight out and back barring one slightly twisty section, but the fact that everyone on the side is smoking weed makes it difficult to dig in when it gets tough! I thoroughly enjoyed it, but wouldn't be in a rush to have another crack.

Don't do the full marathon though - it's the half route, but you turn off and run up and down dark side streets to make the distance up. It's poorly reviewed and looks depressing as owt.

Last edited:

Xmas present to myself, been using the Floatride 1.0s this year and they've been light and comfortable so went for the 2.0s.

Back