Running Thread 2019

Signed up for a 10k round Hamsterley Forest next weekend. Hopefully the weather keeps decent, I've never been there before so I'd like to have a walk about afterwards.

Might be able to get a number for London marathon through the bairns charity. Not sure if it's a step too far.
I’m thinking of trying for a charity place. I’m raising money for sparks for my Kielder marathon so hopefully they’d have a place for me

I’m thinking of trying for a charity place. I’m raising money for sparks for my Kielder marathon so hopefully they’d have a place for me

Tough conditions for the kielder marathon yesterday.... I did the half and just managed to finish before the heavens opened.

My wife was running the marathon so I was drenched by the time she finished....

Tough conditions for the kielder marathon yesterday.... I did the half and just managed to finish before the heavens opened.

My wife was running the marathon so I was drenched by the time she finished....
that's a shame, I did the half last year and we got really good conditions.

Florida is happening so I’m out of Wooler, happy to be going over there but gutted I can’t do that. Going to have to have a look at what’s available in December now..

Started training yesterday with a 10 mile and I’m just going to crack on and find something before years end

Last edited:
Back after 3 and a bit weeks off for a Hamstring injury, I ran a 39:55 10K in September and now I'm blowing out my arse after 6-7K at 45min pace.

Genuinely surprised how much fitness has gone.
I remember watching a video a while ago and doing some reading, don't know how accurate the science behind it was but it reckoned if you ran a 20min 5k and took a week break you would expect to lose about 30secs on your time. Then if you were inactive for a month you'd be around 22mins, then if you were inactive for 3 months you lose around 25% of your VO2 max and expect to be around 25mins. It's crazy how quick you can lose it, thankfully I've never had any injuries in the few years I've been running but it's always a fear you have trying to build your fitness back up if owt happened.

Found the link, interesting read

Last edited:
I remember watching a video a while ago and doing some reading, don't know how accurate the science behind it was but it reckoned if you ran a 20min 5k and took a week break you would expect to lose about 30secs on your time. Then if you were inactive for a month you'd be around 22mins, then if you were inactive for 3 months you lose around 25% of your VO2 max and expect to be around 25mins. It's crazy how quick you can lose it, thankfully I've never had any injuries in the few years I've been running but it's always a fear you have trying to build your fitness back up if owt happened.

Thanks for posting that, those times you've mentioned there quite similar to what I've lost!

I find I can have a week off and not lose anything. Two weeks though and I might as well be starting from scratch :)

I find a difference between resting with an injury and a two week holiday for instance. If I rest with an injury I tend to still be stretching a lot and keeping as active as I can. I’ve had fortnights off on holiday though where I’ve done no running or stretching and eaten like a pig. It’s quite scary how quickly you can let yourself go :eek:

I find I can have a week off and not lose anything. Two weeks though and I might as well be starting from scratch :)

I find a difference between resting with an injury and a two week holiday for instance. If I rest with an injury I tend to still be stretching a lot and keeping as active as I can. I’ve had fortnights off on holiday though where I’ve done no running or stretching and eaten like a pig. It’s quite scary how quickly you can let yourself go :eek:

Totally agree with this, I’m 3 weeks without running this week but still using resistance bands and doing core work etc so I don’t feel too bad.

Back