Running Thread 2019

Did the Park Run this morning

I was late, had 3 hours sleep, was locking my bike up after they ran past me but still didn't finish last

Was shocked at having to walk a few times.

I only did one of these before and just ran it, slowly, but didn't have to walk.

I've been in bed the last few months though and not done any exercise.

Still can only get better

Got the great north run this year, bailed on it last year because I did no training at all what with having a very unwell parent and grief later that year so really wasn’t in the mood.. but this year I’m gonna bust a gut and rack up the miles.. want to be Half Marathon ready way in advance.. and do plenty 10ks etc as small runs

Anyone got any decent plans they follow, or is it just a case of racking up the miles

Got the great north run this year, bailed on it last year because I did no training at all what with having a very unwell parent and grief later that year so really wasn’t in the mood.. but this year I’m gonna bust a gut and rack up the miles.. want to be Half Marathon ready way in advance.. and do plenty 10ks etc as small runs

Anyone got any decent plans they follow, or is it just a case of racking up the miles
Everyone is different but building up slowly to avoid injury is wise. Also different routes and distances to keep you interested. Make sure you get plenty of hills into your training as well. After coming back from injury I've been doing comfortable 10k runs and planned to build up by a mile or two each month on my longer runs so I'm ready for Sunderland Half in May.
Had a calf/achilles niggle on my last two runs. Hopefully I can shake that off to crack on.
Also mixing it up with a bit gym work as my foot restricts me to a maximum of three runs a week.

2 parkruns this morning & a slow mile to warm back up before the 2nd. 1st was my new fastest NYD parkrun time ever but then knocked another 93 secs off that on the 2nd one with an old mate geeing me on for the last mile. Still a way off my pb from September but that may well have been a flash in the pan. Good start to the year so far though.

Aims for the year - just to knock a bit more off my marathon pb which is the most doable as it's always been my weakest event.

I tend to stick around 5k and on the 10th December I did it in 28.56 mins, slow to some, but the fact I did sub 30 mins was a massive boost for me.

Faster than everyone sat on the couch

Roll on to today and I did my first park run at Chester-le-street, doing it with my 70 yr old dad and my mate. Today I did it in 26.40 mins, so I'm buzzing haha.

Big leap in times. Well done.

I've done couple of 4 milers to start the year. Just steady 9min miles to keep me ticking over. My aim this year is to do more park runs and find the time to do a race or too. My 2017 year off racing, turned into a 2018 one anarl. Although I think my 19 miles round hamsterly forest days could be over:lol:

I've just entered the GNR ballot. I think it was 2011 or 2012 when I last did it. Maybe even the last time I did a half. :eek:

Trail Outlaws in November?
Yeah, have talked myself out of it the last two years, think might be perfect end to my running year is like 5-6 weeks after York and their events always well organised. Probably going to join North East Marathon Club and do a bunch of their events as well have done a few of the winter wonderlands in the past and again reasonably well organised and small fields so can turn up and run which I prefer.

Theres also new guy on the block Saturn Running that are trying to do some events in Durham and Northumberland they do stuff all round the country, trying out the Durham one in Feb its laps down by the rowing club somewhere.

Back