Running Thread 2019

Been hit with injury recently but recorded successful 10m & 6.2m back to back runs yesterday & today with no sign of the injury. I found using the Elliptical machine quite good to ease up.

Going to Silksworth tomorrow...just got to get through the Christmas schedule before cracking on with some longer runs ahead of another Ultra attempt in February. I'm at a wedding on Saturday in Alnwick so going to run a recce along the coastal dunes & beach the next day.

Last edited:

It's nice and flat and basically a straight out and back barring one slightly twisty section, but the fact that everyone on the side is smoking weed makes it difficult to dig in when it gets tough! I thoroughly enjoyed it, but wouldn't be in a rush to have another crack.

Don't do the full marathon though - it's the half route, but you turn off and run up and down dark side streets to make the distance up. It's poorly reviewed and looks depressing as owt.
Been to vegas, but want to go back. Cheers for letting me know
Been hit with injury recently but recorded successful 10m & 6.2m back to back runs yesterday & today with no sign of the injury. I found using the Elliptical machine quite good to ease up.

Going to Silksworth tomorrow...just got to get through the Christmas schedule before cracking on with some longer runs ahead of another Ultra attempt in February. I'm at a wedding on Saturday in Alnwick so going to run a recce along the coastal dunes & beach the next day.
You can't have been that injured, what was it?

Been to vegas, but want to go back. Cheers for letting me know

You can't have been that injured, what was it?
I thought it was a reoccurrence of sciatica , maybe it was, after 6 miles I’d keep getting a proper cutting pain in my arse that I thought I’d make worse if I kept on going - or that stopped me completely twice.

A small bit of time off & quite a bit of stretching and the last two runs have been fine

I thought it was a reoccurrence of sciatica , maybe it was, after 6 miles I’d keep getting a proper cutting pain in my arse that I thought I’d make worse if I kept on going - or that stopped me completely twice.

A small bit of time off & quite a bit of stretching and the last two runs have been fine
Do the pigeon pose? Might be your piriformis giving you bother, or do you know it's sciatica?

Do the pigeon pose? Might be your piriformis giving you bother, or do you know it's sciatica?
A few people have said it could be piriformis and I am more minded to that now..I've had sciatica and the pain feels like that but this is only showing up after miles whereas sciaticas stopped me doing anything. Im going to google the pigeon pose.

I'm on 948 miles for the year starting in May, will likely do 5-6 tomorrow and then it's whether I can find time to end on 1000 for the year.

Last edited:
A few people have said it could be piriformis and I am more minded to that now..I've had sciatica and the pain feels like that but this is only showing up after miles whereas sciaticas stopped me doing anything. Im going to google the pigeon pose.

I'm on 948 miles for the year starting in May, will likely do 5-6 tomorrow and then it's whether I can find time to end on 1000 for the year.
I’ve had sciatic pain from inflamed piriformis in the past. It’s very close to the nerve. Bit of deep tissue massage and lots of stretching sorted it

Lots of good stretches on YouTube for the piriformis, including the pigeon one. I do those regular now

I’ve had sciatic pain from inflamed piriformis in the past. It’s very close to the nerve. Bit of deep tissue massage and lots of stretching sorted it

Lots of good stretches on YouTube for the piriformis, including the pigeon one. I do those regular now
Thanks mate, I will get on all of that.

Dinnit bother. Save your legs

Any running watch experts? My Garmin Forerunner 235 is unable to pick up GPS wherever I go, and the date and time are out of sync, which I gather is related. Have read online that this might be curtains for it. Anyone had this problem?

I've had it about 18 months, how long does this kit usually last? Doesn't seem like a long life for an expensive product.

Any running watch experts? My Garmin Forerunner 235 is unable to pick up GPS wherever I go, and the date and time are out of sync, which I gather is related. Have read online that this might be curtains for it. Anyone had this problem?

I've had it about 18 months, how long does this kit usually last? Doesn't seem like a long life for an expensive product.
Try a factory reset. Should last longer.

Aims for 2019:

5k under 20 mins
10k under 40 mins
I got nowhere near!

The best time over a hilly park run course was about 21 mins.

The best 10k of the year was 42 mins.

On a plus side I ran the furthest ever which was about 16 miles in 2 hours 30 mins.

I’m having a rest week as I have a few strains and pains that need clearing up.

I might concentrate on running for a few months in the spring when I can run off road again, but next year I am focusing on flexibility and improving my range of movement.

Well done to those who reached their goals.

I achieved some of my goals and managed some things I was pleased with but not everything, I’m way ahead of where I was this time last year though and my knee injury has finally buggered off so feeling good going into the New Year, starting with a Horden/Hartlepool Parkrun double on NYD.

I'm going to do the Sunderland run next May (I couldn't do it this year cos of work). I'm torn as to which run to do, my heart says the half marathon, my head says the 10k. I don't know what to do

I'm going to do the Sunderland run next May (I couldn't do it this year cos of work). I'm torn as to which run to do, my heart says the half marathon, my head says the 10k. I don't know what to do
See how your training goes. Then decide.
2019 - set personal bests in every race I done, bar a 10km, I was 1 second off matching my pb.

Last edited:
See how your training goes. Then decide.
2019 - set personal bests in every race I done, bar a 10km, I was 1 second off matching my pb.
I did the half last year and I found from Roker Park till the finish was brutal, and that's what's putting me off, but the minute I'm feeling ok (touch wood) so I'll see how I feel in a couple of months when I fill the entry form in

I did the half last year and I found from Roker Park till the finish was brutal, and that's what's putting me off, but the minute I'm feeling ok (touch wood) so I'll see how I feel in a couple of months when I fill the entry form in
What was so brutal, lack of training?

No, that big hill going up to Roker Park and then from the sea front and then once out of RP and also that long drag along Dame Dorothy Street and round past the Boilermakers just seemed to take forever and took a hell of a lot out of me. I still did it in 1.44 so overall I suppose it wasn't too bad
Of course it’s going to take a lot out of you at the end, I find the last 5k of every hm I have done hell, of your not falling over the line you still have more to push yourself, I always think running the last part of any race I have at least a few days rest so I may aswell give it everything

Of course it’s going to take a lot out of you at the end, I find the last 5k of every hm I have done hell, of your not falling over the line you still have more to push yourself, I always think running the last part of any race I have at least a few days rest so I may aswell give it everything
I've done a few of halfs in the past and always had something left in the tank at the finish, but that last time at Sunderland I literally couldn't have ran another metre, It took me well over a week to get over it

Back