Running Thread 2019

Hadn't really looked at my zone until scanning through this thread. I'm zone G, target time is 1.50. I've got a strava HM of 1.55 from a month ago, is it worth trying to get the zone changed, or even possible?

Hadn't really looked at my zone until scanning through this thread. I'm zone G, target time is 1.50. I've got a strava HM of 1.55 from a month ago, is it worth trying to get the zone changed, or even possible?
I'd say so, you should be in C or D if you're expecting that time.

I'd say so, you should be in C or D if you're expecting that time.

Thanks - I've emailed this morning and included a Strava screenshot. Will see what they can do.
Thanks - I've emailed this morning and included a Strava screenshot. Will see what they can do.

To anybody else wondering about this. I had a reply - you can go to a marquee in the GNR event village (NE8 5JB) between 9-5 on Saturday the 7th. You need to bring proof of your faster running time which can be print out of race results or evidence of training results on Strava (although doesn't have to be for full HM distance). Your new number won't have your name on it.

Last edited:
Rather late to this thread as Ive only just started to run (try) again. Having not run or jogged for well over three years I started doing a couple of 2.5K slow runs on the running machine. Even at 7.5Kph I was knackered. Doing 2.5K in 19 minutes I felt like just giving up. Im 17 stone but have continued albeit on a running machine. In the past 4 weeks Ive managed to do my first 5k for years. My time was around 41 minutes. Again its slow going. This week Ive done two runs,... a 7K run (51 mins) and 5K run which I managed to get done in 33:36 nearly 8 mins off my first successful 5K.
Any tips for an old dog like me to help get these times down. Goals are 2.5K sub 12min 5K sub 25min 10k sub 60min (Ive not managed a 10K yet). Is it a case of slow long runs to get fitter and thus produce quicker short runs? Advice appreciated from our 'proper' runners

Rather late to this thread as Ive only just started to run (try) again. Having not run or jogged for well over three years I started doing a couple of 2.5K slow runs on the running machine. Even at 7.5Kph I was knackered. Doing 2.5K in 19 minutes I felt like just giving up. Im 17 stone but have continued albeit on a running machine. In the past 4 weeks Ive managed to do my first 5k for years. My time was around 41 minutes. Again its slow going. This week Ive done two runs,... a 7K run (51 mins) and 5K run which I managed to get done in 33:36 nearly 8 mins off my first successful 5K.
Any tips for an old dog like me to help get these times down. Goals are 2.5K sub 12min 5K sub 25min 10k sub 60min (Ive not managed a 10K yet). Is it a case of slow long runs to get fitter and thus produce quicker short runs? Advice appreciated from our 'proper' runners
Don't get hung up on times, just keep on building it up, get a decent engine and then crack on with times.

As @D.A said, build a solid base first, the times will naturally improve as your stamina does.

Don't increase your weekly distance by more than 10% a week to avoid overuse injuries. Once you've got about 3 months of solid long slow runs in then start introducing things like interval training & tempo runs to build more power.

As @D.A said, build a solid base first, the times will naturally improve as your stamina does.

Don't increase your weekly distance by more than 10% a week to avoid overuse injuries. Once you've got about 3 months of solid long slow runs in then start introducing things like interval training & tempo runs to build more power.
Cheers... I think I did that a few years ago trying to go to fast too soon. Im really comfortable doing 5k in 40 mins. I keep beating myself up over my times... (historically I was a pretty decent runner in the forces... 25 years and 6 stone later its a bit harder)

Cheers... I think I did that a few years ago trying to go to fast too soon. Im really comfortable doing 5k in 40 mins. I keep beating myself up over my times... (historically I was a pretty decent runner in the forces... 25 years and 6 stone later its a bit harder)
Stop worrying. I used too. I set all of my pbs in 2016, got injured, got fat. Pretty much gave up hope of being competitive again. Just ran and never raced, got injury free, weight came off, set pbs this year. Not saying it'll take you 3 years, just have patience.

So if I’m zone F it’s not even possible to overtake people to say get sub 1:50 time? This is my first HM, so put some arbitrary guess of time when I applied but confident I’ll do it in 1:50 but worried reading this thread there will be too many people to overtake!

So if I’m zone F it’s not even possible to overtake people to say get sub 1:50 time? This is my first HM, so put some arbitrary guess of time when I applied but confident I’ll do it in 1:50 but worried reading this thread there will be too many people to overtake!
I've come to terms with a few things.

I might not be able to run normally. And as such I'm just going to see what happens.

Just enjoy it and not worry about the time too much as if I do I might run a terrible race as pace could be all over the place due to the sheer numbers.

Remember the reason and charity I'm doing it for and that's the main reason for running even with this little injury that means If this was a training day I wouldn't be running.

Difficult but not impossible. Get in your pen early so you're right at the front then when the marshals drop the tape separating you from the back of zone E get as far up into that zone as you can before the start line.

I've gone into the event village today and they've moved me from zone G to D. Nice and easy, just needed to show a strava training run. They're open til 5 today.

Anyone know the price of the shuttle buses from Shields to the start tomorrow? I'm sure I read £3.50 somewhere but I can't seem to find where now to double check?

I've updated my first Garmin watch to the forerunner 235 as I like having a heart rate monitor. ultimately I want to train for ultra racing and as I've mentioned I have my first 28th of this month.

Could anybody recommend a heart rate based training regime? I have only had it one day and haven't felt great, but initial RHR looks to be 55.

Going to go down the pier tonight and do some sprints, then a long run on Thursday. I am trying to understand what HR I should be looking for to be able to run comfortably for 4+ hours etc.

any advice appreciated!
and good luck everyone in the gnr!

Back