Running Thread 2019

After loads of shin problems since November I've given the legs a bit of rest. Went for a run last week and instantly had throbbing shins for a few days afterwards.

Invested in ice shin straps and some compression socks, ran last night and have zero pain in my shins. Who knew much much a sock could help!

Turns out they are just doing a 5k over the Northern Spire the day before the Half Marathon. Nice enough for those who want to run a 5k I suppose.
What’s the full route mate ? They may have picked a pancake flat route to attract runners after PBs... it always comes back to money , if it’s a poor route then seems pointless

What’s the full route mate ? They may have picked a pancake flat route to attract runners after PBs... it always comes back to money , if it’s a poor route then seems pointless
Not sure exactly but it goes onto European Way at some point so there's going to be a killer hill in there. Even running down the hill next to the retail park could be tricky. Cross the bridge twice I think.

After loads of shin problems since November I've given the legs a bit of rest. Went for a run last week and instantly had throbbing shins for a few days afterwards.

Invested in ice shin straps and some compression socks, ran last night and have zero pain in my shins. Who knew much much a sock could help!
Do you much work on your calf’s? I get shin problems related to my calf muscles and have to do a lot of stretching and foam rolling. Heel drop exercises are good for calf strength.

Do you much work on your calf’s? I get shin problems related to my calf muscles and have to do a lot of stretching and foam rolling. Heel drop exercises are good for calf strength.
I've upped my stretching and warm ups. Need to incorporate some gym work to improve the muscles around there, the missus has a foam roller also so will give that a whirl.

I've upped my stretching and warm ups. Need to incorporate some gym work to improve the muscles around there, the missus has a foam roller also so will give that a whirl.

Yep. Had sore shins. When I rested and got over that my physio gave me calf exercises. Standing on a step, toes on step, heel in fresh air. Calf raises and then do a few sets of them. Also walking around the kitchen on your toes/front ball of foot. 100 steps. Also if you have a sofa that is really low to the ground. Sit on a chair in front of it. Front of foot tucked under the sofa and 'try' and lift the sofa - you don't actually have to lift the sofa like the hulk but the sensation of putting in the effort, hold for ten seconds and release a few times actually feels pretty good. Standing on one leg other leg pointed out at a right angle from you and lower leg a a right angle. Minute at a time. Finally a calf raise hold. standing on floor, go up on your toes on both feet on a calf raise and try and hold for a minute. Do it five times. No gym stuff needed.

With a foam roller the best way to do you calves is..... rest the bottom of your lower leg on the roller just above the achilles (the soleus) rotate your foot one way 3-4 times and then the other way 3-4 times and then roll the leg left and right across the roller side to side like a sawing action. maybe a dozen times. Then shuffle forward an inch or two and repeat until youve done the whole calf.

Never had shin splints since.

Yep. Had sore shins. When I rested and got over that my physio gave me calf exercises. Standing on a step, toes on step, heel in fresh air. Calf raises and then do a few sets of them. Also walking around the kitchen on your toes/front ball of foot. 100 steps. Also if you have a sofa that is really low to the ground. Sit on a chair in front of it. Front of foot tucked under the sofa and 'try' and lift the sofa - you don't actually have to lift the sofa like the hulk but the sensation of putting in the effort, hold for ten seconds and release a few times actually feels pretty good. Standing on one leg other leg pointed out at a right angle from you and lower leg a a right angle. Minute at a time. Finally a calf raise hold. standing on floor, go up on your toes on both feet on a calf raise and try and hold for a minute. Do it five times. No gym stuff needed.

With a foam roller the best way to do you calves is..... rest the bottom of your lower leg on the roller just above the achilles (the soleus) rotate your foot one way 3-4 times and then the other way 3-4 times and then roll the leg left and right across the roller side to side like a sawing action. maybe a dozen times. Then shuffle forward an inch or two and repeat until youve done the whole calf.

Never had shin splints since.
Nice one, appreciate the information!

anyone got any of use for some Mizuno Wave Nirvana 7's before they go in the bin? Only been used half a dozen times or so

size 11.5

Last edited:
Report back with your findings :D
Dodged it the other day due to the ice but been out this morning and incorporated the Northern Spire into my run. The gradual incline off the bridge isn't too bad but it might pagger inexperienced runners who are doing a 5k for the first time. One very short steep bit and then the rest is flat. I suspect you could get a canny time if you power up the hill at the start.
Did a canny 7.5 miles this morning through Pallion over Northern Spire, back over Queen Alex and doubled back past Northern Spire. Might make it a regular if I add a couple more hills in.

Back