Running Thread 2019

I've never realised how important heart rate is for running. I've been running on and off(mostly off) for 10 years and I've always gone out for a run and just ran as fast as I can maintain. I got a garmin forerunner for Christmas and the last run I done it basically told me I'm going to do serious damage running at HR zone 5. Although I'm not sure how accurate it is because I've read online that HR zone 5 should only be manageable for 2 mins.

I went out for a run yesterday and tried to stick to HR zone 3 but after around 1k It was up to 4.8 and then quickly to over 5.

I think I am going to have to include some fast walking to most of my runs until I find a pace which is manageable as it seems I may be missing out on some benefits of running within HR zone 2 and 3.

Still decent time that , join a club and get it down to 1.25 I reckon
As Dan says, I'm with the Poly. My best is 1:29 although that was before I joined them! In fairness I don't think I've had many cracks at it since joining. Yesterday was down to putting a bit of beef on over Christmas, then a 50 mile week the first week of January - probably a bit much to have put in them that close to the race. Aim is to beat it this year though. Serious attempts likely in Leeds in March, Blackpool at the back end of April, Redcar in September then Las Vegas in November.

As Dan says, I'm with the Poly. My best is 1:29 although that was before I joined them! In fairness I don't think I've had many cracks at it since joining. Yesterday was down to putting a bit of beef on over Christmas, then a 50 mile week the first week of January - probably a bit much to have put in them that close to the race. Aim is to beat it this year though. Serious attempts likely in Leeds in March, Blackpool at the back end of April, Redcar in September then Las Vegas in November.
Blackpool’s a quick course if there’s no wind mate. I did it in 2016, it was my PB at the time.

Las Vegas will be an experience I bet. I’ve got this urge to do the Disney World half in Orlando one year

I've never realised how important heart rate is for running. I've been running on and off(mostly off) for 10 years and I've always gone out for a run and just ran as fast as I can maintain. I got a garmin forerunner for Christmas and the last run I done it basically told me I'm going to do serious damage running at HR zone 5. Although I'm not sure how accurate it is because I've read online that HR zone 5 should only be manageable for 2 mins.

I went out for a run yesterday and tried to stick to HR zone 3 but after around 1k It was up to 4.8 and then quickly to over 5.

I think I am going to have to include some fast walking to most of my runs until I find a pace which is manageable as it seems I may be missing out on some benefits of running within HR zone 2 and 3.

You need to be pretty accurate measuring your Max Heart Rate to make it all work.

Blackpool’s a quick course if there’s no wind mate. I did it in 2016, it was my PB at the time.

Las Vegas will be an experience I bet. I’ve got this urge to do the Disney World half in Orlando one year
Yeah I've done Blackpool, kinda like a slightly more interesting Redcar I guess. My dad lives there so even if I'm not in great shape I'll just go and enjoy it. We're getting married whilst in Vegas, then both doing the run. It's supposedly a spectacular run, not too hot and pancake flat, but no idea how I'll fare there!

The Disney ones are absolutely on my race bucket list. They look incredible, albeit pricey.

Yeah I've done Blackpool, kinda like a slightly more interesting Redcar I guess. My dad lives there so even if I'm not in great shape I'll just go and enjoy it. We're getting married whilst in Vegas, then both doing the run. It's supposedly a spectacular run, not too hot and pancake flat, but no idea how I'll fare there!

The Disney ones are absolutely on my race bucket list. They look incredible, albeit pricey.
Lad Vegas was in the mid 80s in the afternoon when I was there. Hope it's late on in the day for you.

Another step forward with my wonky feet. Went to hospital today and got some insoles and she explained how each issue contributes to the various pains and injuries I've been plagued with. A symptom of the gout and osteoarthritis is that my big toes only have about 5-10 degrees of motion when there should be about sixty. This puts strain on my little toes which aren't strong enough and I'm therefore constantly in pain or injured.
Got off the shelf insoles for now and a range of exercises and another appointment in March where they might make a cast of my foot and some custom insoles.
Going to try a 5k tomorrow and maybe a 10k at the weekend and see how I get on.

pretty much haven't done any running since August. knee pain started up and then life and work took over.

finally bit the bullet as the pain improved but didn't go away and just had keyhole surgery on a torn meniscus.

so, plan for 2019 is to avoid any injuries and get into a routine of running again. haven't entered or got a single race in mind for the year and dont envisage and pbs but under 17:30 for 5k and 36 for 10k would keep me happy. may or may not enter an autumn half to try amd run a time depending on how i am feeling. no marathons this year.

Back