Running Thread 2018

*** Runner’s etiquette ***

Since when have runners stopped acknowledging another passing runner?

3 of the ***** didn’t even look my way when I ran past and raised a hand/said hello.

Headphones aren’t an excuse.

Strange one isn’t it. I usually run North Tyneside and everyone says hello - sometimes just a raised hand depending on how knackered you are but always something.
I’ve started doing a few lunchtime runs in Newcastle and not a single person even makes eye contact. I’ve assumed it’s because people are on a break from work and not in ‘running mode’ but it just makes everyone appear miserable.

Strange one isn’t it. I usually run North Tyneside and everyone says hello - sometimes just a raised hand depending on how knackered you are but always something.
I’ve started doing a few lunchtime runs in Newcastle and not a single person even makes eye contact. I’ve assumed it’s because people are on a break from work and not in ‘running mode’ but it just makes everyone appear miserable.
I’m glad it just isn’t me then! I’ll continue doing what I was taught as a junior plodder.

3 of the ***** didn’t even look my way when I ran past and raised a hand/said hello.

For me it depends, during the week will prob try and make eye contact and aknowledge but on a weekend running along Shields front genrally dont bother as there are so many people around, some regulars always do some never do.

All it takes is a nod and a hello. When I first started out, I thought I would be embarrassed by seeing 'proper runners' but they always acknowledged me no matter how good they were or how quick they were going. Aly Dixon being the perfect example. This makes you feel like part of a community and could make the difference between someone continuing or giving up.
It's still usually the case although I've had a couple of instances where I've been ignored and it is annoying. Someone didn't acknowledge me when I stepped into the road to let him pass and if he wasn't so quick, I would have gone after him and tripped the twat over.:evil:

All it takes is a nod and a hello. When I first started out, I thought I would be embarrassed by seeing 'proper runners' but they always acknowledged me no matter how good they were or how quick they were going. Aly Dixon being the perfect example. This makes you feel like part of a community and could make the difference between someone continuing or giving up.
It's still usually the case although I've had a couple of instances where I've been ignored and it is annoying. Someone didn't acknowledge me when I stepped into the road to let him pass and if he wasn't so quick, I would have gone after him and tripped the twat over.:evil:
We were raised to acknowledge anyone who passes you during a walk, never mind a run. Obviously the rule is void in city centres :lol:

Did the Henley half yesterday. Legs seized up about halfway through, f***ing torture after that - never had owt like it. Finished in 1:50 and felt like I'd been running for 1,000 years.

Don't go on a two week holiday before your run then "taper" for a week when you get back :lol:

Pain wasn't getting any better so went to the docs who rulled out locked knee and ligament damage. Refered to physio who reckons from the phone call that it is idb.

Managed to get to see someone tomorrow which is great. He said that dropping my miles and running quicker is good for it, but will wait to see him on person tomorrow.

Can't know the nhs at times, mind.

Bought some new running shoes in April but when they arrived, my foot was so swollen I couldn't even get them on. Six months later and they belatedly get their first run out.
Only a plodding 4 miles but plan to go out 2 or 3 times a week along with going to the gym and build up gradually. Foot constantly 'hurts' and was a bit swollen after today's run but nothing that I think should stop me.

Back