Running Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Diet and Exercise' started by MagicRat, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Chappers

Chappers Striker

Aye. Rolling, doing the heel drops and also have a support which i stick on. Decided to give up on half marthorn for a while and stick to 5 and 10k and see how it goes. If it gets worse I'll have to rest it.

2. Charlestonian

Charlestonian Midfield

Not too bad, really, mainly flat, I’ll stick me Holland shirt on so you can pick me out!

3. Fletch

Fletch Striker

you may not need to do that, often its speedwork and hills that cause achilles not high mileage , you may have caught it in time, be positive

Chappers likes this.
  4. Baghdad McBadLad

Baghdad McBadLad Central Defender

I have really bad shin splint problems even when I run 3k. Starting again so hoping the more I run and complete my C25k it will get stronger and not hurt but I am on a treadmill at the moment so that may be why?

5. mackemtillidie

mackemtillidie Goalkeeper

Also could be down to your trainers?

6. MagicRat

MagicRat Midfield

I’ve had shin grief in the past and found calf strengthening exercises helped. Eccentric heel drops is a good one, I do them everyday now.

I’ve been told you can run with shin splints without making it worse. . providing the pains not too bad. I used a compression bandage when running, which helped.

7. MURPHY1973

MURPHY1973 Central Defender

Someone mentioned calf exercises, thats a great idea. I got a few knee problems and plantar fasciitis when I first started the c25k a few years back

I now do knee and hip strenghening as well as calf raises on a daily basis and it does make a difference. Theres lots of tips online

8. Baghdad McBadLad

Baghdad McBadLad Central Defender

I got new trainers after doing some GAIT analysis so it isn't my shoes.

9. Fletch

Fletch Striker

Stupidly joined in a club session on Tuesday when had only been back running 3weeks , track was bit slippy , not only did I struggle but came away with a niggly groin , did an undulating loop steady away and could feel it a bit on the downhill stretches

10. Chappers

Chappers Striker

Fucking Bastard Achilles. Going to rest it. Nowhere near as bad as it was a few years ago when I just couldn't run, but afterwards it's throbbing and worried I'm doing more damage.

Doing the exercises, but think only rest will help. Gutted.

11. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Central Defender

Training for Manchester. Did 18 miles today. Very tiring. Everything aches now. Been 4-5 years since my last and only marathon to date and knocking on a bit in age now so really struggling. Managed to get in the distance in a fraction under 3 hours but need most of the week to recover now. Feel like I should be doing more as only 7 weeks to go but don't want to over do it and breakdown with no time to get back. Route was Wearmouth Bridge to Shields Sambuca and back, added smaller jog to B&Q and back to bridge, then a mile run arounf the SOL.

12. D.A

D.A Striker

How many miles a week are you doing? I done 15 today and feel toppa.

13. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Central Defender

Approx 30. I think it' age and fact I'm not as thin as I used to be :(

14. archiesdad

archiesdad Midfield

how old are you like ?

15. D.A

D.A Striker

I'm fat. Got nowt to do with it. I done 35 miles last week on a recovery week. I think you need to run more.

16. praha12

praha12 Central Defender

Been out and done a mile and a half tonight.
    Thats my first outing since September last year after i struggled around the Tees 10k with a buggered back.

Got to about the mile and my knees were screaming for me to stop !
    Knew the first one would be the hardest...

D.A, trance toads and MagicRat like this.
  17. MagicRat

MagicRat Midfield

Welcome back :)

18. praha12

praha12 Central Defender

Cheers Rat,
    First race entered is the Terry o Gara in April. Hopefully i should be up to 5k by then :confused:

MagicRat likes this.
  19. Patch Lafayette

Patch Lafayette Striker

I had crippling shin splints and changed my trainers and it cleared up in less than a month

The Legendary Tongue likes this.
  20. My understanding is that Start use a treadmill but people run differently on those to how they do on a road so I don't know how accurate it is. Northern runner measure everything 1st & have a stretch of track out the back they have you run up & down on but they're the only ones I've been fitted by .