Running Thread 2018

My target was a Parkrun in 2018 and I managed 3, so we’ll chuffed. Couldn’t run 5 minutes earlier in the year.

2019 is to chip away at the 5k time. Current PB is 34.48 so not sure what a realistic time to shave off is.

30 should definitely be doable. There's a lass at my local parkrun was doing mid 30s last September when she started running & she just did her 1st sub 24 on Saturday. Her bloke has gone from 33 down to 26 over the same period.

My running club provides pacers the 1st parkrun of each month for minute intervals up to mid 30s to help people reach their targets & I know there's something similar at Albert Park in Middlesbrough so maybe one of the parkruns in Large Corporate London has a pacer day?

[Edit] Should have said September 2017 rather than last September.

Last edited:

30 should definitely be doable. There's a lass at my local parkrun was doing mid 30s last September when she started running & she just did her 1st sub 24 on Saturday. Her bloke has gone from 33 down to 26 over the same period.

My running club provides pacers the 1st parkrun of each month for minute intervals up to mid 30s to help people reach their targets & I know there's something similar at Albert Park in Middlesbrough so maybe one of the parkruns in Large Corporate London has a pacer day?

There’s been a couple of pacers at my Parkrun, but around mid 20s

Last run of the year logged. Just short of 1200 miles for the year which is about 2/3 of my usual total but it was a conscious choice & it's paid dividends.

I'm usually injured about 4 months of the year, minor stuff with joints mostly, around 2 or 3 weeks out at a time but enough to knack any training consistency & the only thing getting faster over the last couple of years was the rate of my decline. I decided this year I was just going to accept it & replace a couple of runs a week with exercise bike/rowing machine sessions & do a bit more strength training.

The result has been remarkable. The 1st half of the year I mostly got slower as expected but I wasn't getting injured & managed an unexpected marathon pb in May. 2nd half of the year my times started to steadily improve again & then from mid August until the end of October they improved dramatically & I managed pbs at 10K, 10Miles, ½ Marathon, 5K & 5 Miles.

So every year round about this time, our now ex-Tory MP turns up for the Parkrun, and usually bottles it and doesn’t submit his time, the pathetic excuse for a human being that he is. Then he doesn’t do any more runs for the rest of the year.

This year, he did, and he ran 29:38.

So that’s my new target for 2019. :D

So every year round about this time, our now ex-Tory MP turns up for the Parkrun, and usually bottles it and doesn’t submit his time, the pathetic excuse for a human being that he is. Then he doesn’t do any more runs for the rest of the year.

Motivation indeed!

May I respectfully suggest that not only do you beat his time, but you trip the twat over when he next turns up?
I know that the spirit of the Parkrun is that everyone is equal and all part of one big family but if he doesn't normally record his time, he's not entering into the spirit of it so all bets are off.

Last run of the year logged. Just short of 1200 miles for the year which is about 2/3 of my usual total but it was a conscious choice & it's paid dividends.

I'm usually injured about 4 months of the year, minor stuff with joints mostly, around 2 or 3 weeks out at a time but enough to knack any training consistency & the only thing getting faster over the last couple of years was the rate of my decline. I decided this year I was just going to accept it & replace a couple of runs a week with exercise bike/rowing machine sessions & do a bit more strength training.

The result has been remarkable. The 1st half of the year I mostly got slower as expected but I wasn't getting injured & managed an unexpected marathon pb in May. 2nd half of the year my times started to steadily improve again & then from mid August until the end of October they improved dramatically & I managed pbs at 10K, 10Miles, ½ Marathon, 5K & 5 Miles.
Whilst my mileage is nowhere near yours, I've had to manage my runs this year and replace some with the gym to prevent injury. I think it has made a positive difference and I'm going to focus a bit more on strength work as well as cardio to see how that helps.
I hate the gym but it's a necessary evil.

Last edited:
Last run of 2018 done - fell just short of my target for year but a longer than planned recovery after c2c and a crazy flu bug thing wiped out my plans for the last few months so just been ticking over. Big plans and goals for 2019 - need to get lucky with a few ballots but fingers crossed it all comes off.

First time posting on this thread so bare with me.

So with a combination of depression and been massively over weight, I started running around June last year. Barely being able to run for 2 minutes, without stopping. I made a rookie mistake of doing too much, too soon. Which ended in an injury layoff from mid August til late October. Slowly getting back into it, I ran 10k for the first time at the beginning of December, very slowly but I did it haha. I tend to stick around 5k and on the 10th December I did it in 28.56 mins, slow to some, but the fact I did sub 30 mins was a massive boost for me. Roll on to today and I did my first park run at Chester-le-street, doing it with my 70 yr old dad and my mate. Today I did it in 26.40 mins, so I'm buzzing haha.

2019 goals, get down to sub 24 mins 5k. Do more longer runs and do some races. Also doing race at your pace this year.

Never ever thought I would enjoy running as much as I do. Been huge for my fitness and my depression.

First Parkrun of the year this morning and a PB! 34.32, according to a Strava. Chuffed to bits.

First time posting on this thread so bare with me.

So with a combination of depression and been massively over weight, I started running around June last year. Barely being able to run for 2 minutes, without stopping. I made a rookie mistake of doing too much, too soon. Which ended in an injury layoff from mid August til late October. Slowly getting back into it, I ran 10k for the first time at the beginning of December, very slowly but I did it haha. I tend to stick around 5k and on the 10th December I did it in 28.56 mins, slow to some, but the fact I did sub 30 mins was a massive boost for me. Roll on to today and I did my first park run at Chester-le-street, doing it with my 70 yr old dad and my mate. Today I did it in 26.40 mins, so I'm buzzing haha.

2019 goals, get down to sub 24 mins 5k. Do more longer runs and do some races. Also doing race at your pace this year.

Never ever thought I would enjoy running as much as I do. Been huge for my fitness and my depression.
Brilliant mate. Well done. Sub 30 is my target for the year so you’re doing brilliantly!!

Last edited:

Back