Running Thread 2017

Sportsshoes.com is dodgy as fuck. Tried them twice & on both occasions they've taken my order but then there's no sign of the shoes & no response from their customer services for weeks & then when they eventually do respond its to say they don't have any stock of the shoes I ordered & would I like to have one of another pair of far inferior shoes they're selling for the same price. Classic bait & switch. I'll never try them again.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/to-relieve-runners-knee-strengthen-your-hips
Never heard that about sports shoes before, thanks for the warning though. But in all fairness people at our running club use them quite often and I don't think anyone has had any issues with them.

Never heard that about sports shoes before, thanks for the warning though. But in all fairness people at our running club use them quite often and I don't think anyone has had any issues with them.

Loads of online reviews saying similar stuff. Wish I'd read them before using the site. Seems to be when they offer higher end shoes at large discounts, they then come back & offer shoes which are more mid-range. In both of my times though the "alternative" shoes were available cheaper at Start Fitness.

Start fitness website normally has some good deals on.

I wouldn't worry too much about a gait test to start with, most of them use a treadmill for it but no-one runs the same way on a treadmill as they do on road/trail. You can get what you need to know just by doing the wet foot test & looking at the wear pattern on your existing shoes.

I know the only time I ever got proper trainers I went to Start and they checked my gait but without a treadmill, just getting me to work and move my foot around and that (can't remember now was a few years back). going again on Friday to get some new ones.

Finally feel like some.progress after a month of stagnation, increased distance and pace has got a little better. Still not doing anything fash but in terms of my own performance and fitness, definitely making headway. Class feeling when you can see yourself improving mind.

Loads of online reviews saying similar stuff. Wish I'd read them before using the site. Seems to be when they offer higher end shoes at large discounts, they then come back & offer shoes which are more mid-range. In both of my times though the "alternative" shoes were available cheaper at Start Fitness.

I've used sportshoes plenty of times with no issues. often rang them up to check out a pricematch deal they are offering whereby they beat the other outlets price by a £1 and also give free p&p.

Anyone ever struggled with needing a poo while running? I've started upping distance in prep for the GNR, and whenever I pass around 5k I can feel stuff moving in my stomach which inevitably leads to me feeling like I have to stop.

Anyone ever struggled with needing a poo while running? I've started upping distance in prep for the GNR, and whenever I pass around 5k I can feel stuff moving in my stomach which inevitably leads to me feeling like I have to stop.

My missus get this. She has tried all sorts but now just plans long runs via toilet stops.

Runners Stomach is a legitimate thing, sometimes I get it on fast runs (pun intended). When I started running again in January I had really bad IBS style symptoms for the first week or so.

Just back from the consultant. After 7 weeks of no running at all he has given me permission to run for 2 minutes at a time. In 4 weeks I am allowed to run for 20 minutes without stopping.

I don't have the patience for this rate of comeback!

Just for the lad or lass on here who was looking for advice where to get shoes, went to Start today, they done a gait test, offered a few different shows for my type and size and knocked the price of the ones I chose down from £100 to £90 and chucked in a pair of running socks. Same pair are £115 on Sportsshoes website.

Definitely worth a look, still as good as it was when I got my last pair.

Just for the lad or lass on here who was looking for advice where to get shoes, went to Start today, they done a gait test, offered a few different shows for my type and size and knocked the price of the ones I chose down from £100 to £90 and chucked in a pair of running socks. Same pair are £115 on Sportsshoes website.

Definitely worth a look, still as good as it was when I got my last pair.

Thanks for the advice. Got a cheap pair from the new balance shop at dalton. Not the best looking but they fit, are comfortable and were cheap.

Will be going to Start to have a neb about though

Ran my first 5km last Saturday, and I'm now trying a few things suggested on here. Hoping to get out Saturday morning again getting some good habits back but more controlled breathing and a more efficient gate. Cheers to everyone that's offered advice!

That's where the pain was when I tore a meniscus. It felt ok when I was walking in a straight line but it knacked if I tried to run, turn on that leg or walk down stairs.

Almost right. Been to the physio last weekend and I have an irritated meniscus.

Gave me a few exercises for strenthening hips and told me to concentrate on speed and hill work rather than distance for a few weeks - which actually comes in handy as I am in 3rd place in the N Shields poly grand prix with 2 races to go.

Been out a few short runs with a knee brace this week and the pain after is nowhere near as bad.

Running group tonight so will see how that goes

Almost right. Been to the physio last weekend and I have an irritated meniscus.

Gave me a few exercises for strenthening hips and told me to concentrate on speed and hill work rather than distance for a few weeks - which actually comes in handy as I am in 3rd place in the N Shields poly grand prix with 2 races to go.

Been out a few short runs with a knee brace this week and the pain after is nowhere near as bad.

Running group tonight so will see how that goes

At least it wasn't torn I suppose. I was out for 2 months & could only do aquarunning or cycling & then effectively only do very short slow plods & build up again gradually.

started my 12 week marathon plan on Monday working towards the sterling marathon, this will be my 2nd and last marathon me thinks, going to stick to shorter races after this, anyone else doing sterling in May?

Just came back from a 6k run, first 3k and slightly uphill all just under 4:30 per kilometre, 3k back was a killer just under 5mins per kilometre, the wind was the major factor.

Had a drive up to Alnwick today to watch the last Harrier league x country and its inspired me to join a club and have a bash next season

Some fantastic runners but also great to see runners of all shapes, sizes and abilities giving it all. Brilliant support from sidelines too.

Even the missus is thinking of having a go.

Never really been much of a runner, but always been fairly active and in okay shape. Signed up for the Sunderland half marathon just really so I've actually got something to train for and keep myself motivated with. Obviously the first goal is to get to the finishing line, but what would you lads and lasses reckon I should be aiming for time wise - something under two hours?

Done a couple of 5 mile runs over the last couple of weeks and coming in at around 45 minutes, nee idea how good/bad that is! My legs generally feel fine when I'm running, but I've had loads of shoulder problems over the last couple of years and after a few miles they really start to ache, just hoping it's not too much of a problem going forward.

Had a drive up to Alnwick today to watch the last Harrier league x country and its inspired me to join a club and have a bash next season

Some fantastic runners but also great to see runners of all shapes, sizes and abilities giving it all. Brilliant support from sidelines too.

Even the missus is thinking of having a go.
Good stuff mate, one of the better courses. Has a bit of everything. I've wrecked my back hairing down that big hill though, can hardly walk now :)

Never really been much of a runner, but always been fairly active and in okay shape. Signed up for the Sunderland half marathon just really so I've actually got something to train for and keep myself motivated with. Obviously the first goal is to get to the finishing line, but what would you lads and lasses reckon I should be aiming for time wise - something under two hours?

Done a couple of 5 mile runs over the last couple of weeks and coming in at around 45 minutes, nee idea how good/bad that is! My legs generally feel fine when I'm running, but I've had loads of shoulder problems over the last couple of years and after a few miles they really start to ache, just hoping it's not too much of a problem going forward.

You're currently looking at about 2:05:00 but you should improve on that as your training progresses.

Managed 15m at 7.55 pace yesterday and by god was I sore when I woke today, it's so random as I can do 20m at the same pace at times and be fine the next day, easy day tomorrow and hopefully fine for tue to do 10x800m at marathon pace, just building each week as I did 8x800 last week.

All your aches and pains disappear on race day I find mate

Back