Running Thread 2017

Anybody have any tips for help with shin splints? Or is it just foam roller all the way

Shin splints is sort of a general nickname for pain around that area & how you treat it is highly dependant on the actual cause, it's no good foam rolling the muscles if the pain is being caused by microfractures in one or more of the bones. If you've tried resting for a couple of days & it's still happening try resting for a fortnight. If it's still happening after that then see a doctor.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of running shoes for not much pennies, and somewhere local to buy/get gait assessment.

My shitty 10 year old cross trainers are feeling heavier by the day.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of running shoes for not much pennies, and somewhere local to buy/get gait assessment.

Start fitness website normally has some good deals on.

I wouldn't worry too much about a gait test to start with, most of them use a treadmill for it but no-one runs the same way on a treadmill as they do on road/trail. You can get what you need to know just by doing the wet foot test & looking at the wear pattern on your existing shoes.

Its a full year since I started running again and have really enjoyed it. Joined a running group, ran a few races etc and was running by the end of Dec 16 an average of 30km per week.

Looks like I am getting my first taste of injuries now which is pissing me off.

After 3 weeks out with a calf problem I seem to have developed a pain on the bottom left of my left knee, it doesnt hurt when I lift it up and down but hurts like hell side to side.

I think I am going to rest it for 2 weeks to see if it settles down byt just wondering if anyone knows what it is.

I did reduce my miles after my calf problem so I have eased back in......

Its a full year since I started running again and have really enjoyed it. Joined a running group, ran a few races etc and was running by the end of Dec 16 an average of 30km per week.

Looks like I am getting my first taste of injuries now which is pissing me off.

After 3 weeks out with a calf problem I seem to have developed a pain on the bottom left of my left knee, it doesnt hurt when I lift it up and down but hurts like hell side to side.

I think I am going to rest it for 2 weeks to see if it settles down byt just wondering if anyone knows what it is.

I did reduce my miles after my calf problem so I have eased back in......

That's where the pain was when I tore a meniscus. It felt ok when I was walking in a straight line but it knacked if I tried to run, turn on that leg or walk down stairs.

Sportsshoes is about the best website ive used. Go to a shop try some on. I would give brooks, scotts and saucony a look.

Will be looking at getting some new shoes in the near future mainly for my longer runs was looking at Hoka One Clifton 3s or maybe the more cushioned On trainers.

Sportsshoes is about the best website ive used. Go to a shop try some on. I would give brooks, scotts and saucony a look.

Sportsshoes.com is dodgy as fuck. Tried them twice & on both occasions they've taken my order but then there's no sign of the shoes & no response from their customer services for weeks & then when they eventually do respond its to say they don't have any stock of the shoes I ordered & would I like to have one of another pair of far inferior shoes they're selling for the same price. Classic bait & switch. I'll never try them again.

Thanks.

Dont like the sound of that. Hoping its just runners knee.

Docs appointment this week i think

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/to-relieve-runners-knee-strengthen-your-hips

Last edited:

Back