Running Thread 2017

Think I’m going to get back out running tomorrow after a 2 week break. I’m currently using MapMyRun, is there any better apps that can give me a training program for running a marathon next year?

37.23 my best time for 8k by 18 seconds and I managed 3.58 in the last km.

Might fall asleep at the match mind, but then again that have much to do with the running.

Think I’m going to get back out running tomorrow after a 2 week break. I’m currently using MapMyRun, is there any better apps that can give me a training program for running a marathon next year?
I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever plan you choose just make sure you stick to it. Put the miles in and you should be fine. Don't leave it too late and don't do too much in the final couple of weeks.

Anybody doing York marathon? Last long run in prep tomorrow, feeling nervous. Have put a lot of effort in to training and know I could finish sub 3:45 but targeting 3:30 - worried about this being slightly ambitious for my current level (despite some big improvement from my training, such as knocking nearly 10 mins off my H/M time) and conking out too early.

Still, a marathon was unthinkable not so long ago and just to do one would be a huge achievement for me. So I'm trying not to get hung up on my time and just to enjoy it and use it as experience...but once you have something in your head!

Decided that next year I will be looking to do my first half marathon, whether it be GNR, Sunderland Half Marathon etc.

Anyway, I am pretty useless so like to follow a plan. The only stuff I can find is couch to Half Marathon which has about 6 weeks of walking at the front end of it. I can already run a few miles, and did a slow 10k in an hour last year, but wanted to find something where the starting point is running 2 or 3 miles already.

Am I reading too much into it and just need to stick a mile on every couple of weeks?

Cackbabble. Simple Google search produces loads of results that aren't for complete beginners.

Anybody doing York marathon? Last long run in prep tomorrow, feeling nervous. Have put a lot of effort in to training and know I could finish sub 3:45 but targeting 3:30 - worried about this being slightly ambitious for my current level (despite some big improvement from my training, such as knocking nearly 10 mins off my H/M time) and conking out too early.

Still, a marathon was unthinkable not so long ago and just to do one would be a huge achievement for me. So I'm trying not to get hung up on my time and just to enjoy it and use it as experience...but once you have something in your head!

Yeah did my last longer run yesterday for it yesterday, easy week this week and next. My view for marathons (based on the vast experience of 2 of them) is be more conservative with the pacing and maybe go for a negative split can always speed up the last few miles if feeling good, is harder to do the other way ie run hoping to keep on going then bonk at 22 miles and have a nightmare (my last marathon).

How many runs have you done at marathon pace?

How many runs have you done at marathon pace?

Only 5 mile sections of long runs and a few tempos. So on quite a few of my long runs I've done steady with 5m marathon pace as per plan I followed.

I know I could complete it in 3:45 and think I could/should aim a bit higher with fresh legs on the day.

Last edited:
Only 5 mile sections of long runs and a few tempos. So on quite a few of my long runs I've done steady with 5m marathon pace as per plan I followed.

I know I could complete it in 3:45 and think I could/should aim a bit higher with fresh legs on the day.
I think you should focus on 3:45 for half way and if you feel strong go for a negative split.

Have had a pain in my knees for years but it hasn't stopped me running over the last few months. Anyway, always run with a knee support and tried a new version the other day. The knee was fine running and to be honest didn't start feeling sore until a good 24 hrs after the run. So guess the new support didn't work very well.

Going back to my old knee support tomorrow and going to take it nice and easy. Is there anything else i should do if the pain doesn't go away? Other than stop running which Is the last thing i want.

What's the distance of the XC runs?
Roughly 10km for mens

Have had a pain in my knees for years but it hasn't stopped me running over the last few months. Anyway, always run with a knee support and tried a new version the other day. The knee was fine running and to be honest didn't start feeling sore until a good 24 hrs after the run. So guess the new support didn't work very well.

Going back to my old knee support tomorrow and going to take it nice and easy. Is there anything else i should do if the pain doesn't go away? Other than stop running which Is the last thing i want.
Go and see sr acupuncture and tui na

Me. First time Ive done it. I will be in the slow group and one of the last to finish.

Looking forward to it... missus and son are running so will be there all day.
How fast do you do a 10km in? I doubt you'll be one of the last.

Back