Running Thread 2017

Well after 6 weeks of trying to get round silky park run in under 30 minutes (2 weeks ago I did 30:02, much to my annoyance) today I managed 28:23. I am a very happy fat lad this morning!

I can't recall who it was who mentioned interval training on this thread but I think it was that that has helped my time tumbled, thank you whoever you are!

Is anyone doing the kielder 10k or Marathon in October?
No but I will be doing the kielder dark skies marathon next year. Its amazing.

I read that you should have a weeks rest before a Half Marthon, is this really that necessary? I understand if you're an elite runner but a casual runner surely a 2/3day rest before the race?
What's people's thoughts?

I read that you should have a weeks rest before a Half Marthon, is this really that necessary? I understand if you're an elite runner but a casual runner surely a 2/3day rest before the race?
What's people's thoughts?

That would be overkill in my opinion. Some coaches/training plans even suggest a slow, short run the day before the race just to loosen the legs and get rid of some tension (no more than 2 or 3 miles mind). Personally I don't bother the day before though.

Tapering helps but is normally a reduction in weekly mileage of about 30% or so rather than a full weeks rest although it can be a personal thing - what works for one person might not necessarily work for anyone else.

Good luck for the race. Is it the GNR?

That would be overkill in my opinion. Some coaches/training plans even suggest a slow, short run the day before the race just to loosen the legs and get rid of some tension (no more than 2 or 3 miles mind). Personally I don't bother the day before though.

Tapering helps but is normally a reduction in weekly mileage of about 30% or so rather than a full weeks rest although it can be a personal thing - what works for one person might not necessarily work for anyone else.

Good luck for the race. Is it the GNR?
Yes, my first HM.
I thought a weeks rest would be too much. I'm just going to have 2/3 short easy runs next week.

today I managed to get round to a long planned running route into work

I ran just under 4 miles to Vauxhall Bridge and got on a Santander bike there the rest of the way.

do I just keep doing it to improve my time?

today I managed to get round to a long planned running route into work

I ran just under 4 miles to Vauxhall Bridge and got on a Santander bike there the rest of the way.

do I just keep doing it to improve my time?

I'm finding variety is best, intervals in particular, are really helping me improve.

I've been reading a bit about Farlek training too, does anyone recommend that?

Silky? I'll have a holland shirt on in the morning and my mate can't come so I'm Billy no mates, say hello!
Will do if I drag my arse up there.

Silky? I'll have a holland shirt on in the morning and my mate can't come so I'm Billy no mates, say hello!
Good to see you this morning mate. How did you do? I missed you at the end.
I went off a bit quicker than intended and my first mile was a good minute faster than any other I've done this year.:lol: Still wasn't particularly quick but my fastest 5k this year. Did a mile and half at each end of it as well so basically done a 10k and whilst my knee is a bit stiff, it's not too bad.
Probably do a couple more 5ks this week and just relax before GNR.

Last edited:
Will do if I drag my arse up there.

Good to see you this morning mate. How did you do? I missed you at the end.
I went off a bit quicker than intended and my first mile was a good minute faster than any other I've done this year.:lol: Still wasn't particularly quick but my fastest 5k this year. Did a mile and half at each end of it as well so basically done a 10k and whilst my knee is a bit stiff, it's not too bad.
Probably do a couple more 5ks this week and just relax before GNR.

I could see you in the distance but never got near you at all, put me to shame with your gammy knee!

Finished in about 29mins, got paced from 2k to the end more or less by an old boy who was a good sport. Pleased with that based on the mileage I've covered this week, my legs felt really heavy at the start.

Best of luck with the GNR mate.

I could see you in the distance but never got near you at all, put me to shame with your gammy knee!

Finished in about 29mins, got paced from 2k to the end more or less by an old boy who was a good sport. Pleased with that based on the mileage I've covered this week, my legs felt really heavy at the start.

Best of luck with the GNR mate.
Got nowt but admiration for the old blokes who do it. At the bottom of the hill at the finish I felt someone on my shoulder so I tried to beat them up the hill. Quite pleased with myself that I did but when I've checked the results, he is in the 70-74 age category.:lol::oops:

Got nowt but admiration for the old blokes who do it. At the bottom of the hill at the finish I felt someone on my shoulder so I tried to beat them up the hill. Quite pleased with myself that I did but when I've checked the results, he is in the 70-74 age category.:lol::oops:
My Dad turns 70 next year and he's still doing sub 22 min 5k (something that I still can't manage). He runs for a club and he's out most weekends doing all types of races

Back