Running Thread 2017

Not ran for a fortnight now. Calf has been tight for a while, thought it was just a knot and had been using a roller on it and it was handling. Went out for a run the other Friday and was doing best pace I'd done since restarting in Jan, and it suddenly started killing. Was killing for days, started to ease up a bit then lifted something heavy from a sitting position and it felt like it went again!

Seems okay now apart, from odd twinge, but gonna give a but more time.

Frustrating like. Was enjoying getting out and finally making progress (nowt flash but was happy on a personal level) and been laid up now!

Did 19 miles at the North East Marathon club event steady 8.30 a mile most of the way round so good pre marathon workout heart rate was starting to creep a bit last few miles, am hoping marathon pace will be 8.00 but will see how the next 4 week go.

Not ran for a fortnight now. Calf has been tight for a while, thought it was just a knot and had been using a roller on it and it was handling. Went out for a run the other Friday and was doing best pace I'd done since restarting in Jan, and it suddenly started killing. Was killing for days, started to ease up a bit then lifted something heavy from a sitting position and it felt like it went again!

Seems okay now apart, from odd twinge, but gonna give a but more time.

Frustrating like. Was enjoying getting out and finally making progress (nowt flash but was happy on a personal level) and been laid up now!

As @D.A. says get a sports massage. It might also be worth investing in some compression socks or calf guards. I always put calf guards on if I've felt even the slightest bit of tightness on the previous run & I've gone fron a few calf knots/strains a year to none for a couple of years now.

I've had a fortnight off with a strained glute. Feels sorted now so hoping to start again tomorrow and be back to normal in a week or so.

Weighed myself today and was chuffed to see I'd maintained my weight despite shovelling my face and doing nowt for two weeks :cool: the wife wasn't amused. She balloons as soon as she stops exercising :)

I've had a fortnight off with a strained glute. Feels sorted now so hoping to start again tomorrow and be back to normal in a week or so.

Weighed myself today and was chuffed to see I'd maintained my weight despite shovelling my face and doing nowt for two weeks :cool: the wife wasn't amused. She balloons as soon as she stops exercising :)

I hate you & everything you stand for. I've had about 6 weeks of barely training because of constant different niggles & put on half a clem even though I've been careful with what I've eaten.

I hate you & everything you stand for. I've had about 6 weeks of barely training because of constant different niggles & put on half a clem even though I've been careful with what I've eaten.
ive put on about 9lb, over the course of about 9-10 weeks out so far , however i've been living the good life so don't give a shit

ive put on about 9lb, over the course of about 9-10 weeks out so far , however i've been living the good life so don't give a shit
Seen Lee Mitch at swimming pool last night, he said you weren't running. Lots of little niggles or something bigger?

Lee was getting advanced swimming lessons for his triathlons, he said he swam two lengths and the instructor stopped him and pulled his technique to bits :)

:) Tbf if I'd had six weeks off reckon I'd put some beef on too.

Aye he said today mate that somebody had been interfering with your glutes!
Me - libial posterior tendinitis - went Boxing Day over foot and continued to run for 2 weeks thinking was just a niggle but was making it worse n worse , not ran since. Pisses lee off as he's getting coaching in the pool but I'm a faster swimmer than him:cool:.

Hoping to start some light runs in a week or two but unsure yet if just keep fit or try race again , it's a young mans game racing and I noticed all the gooduns are too skinny :lol:

Aye he said today mate that somebody had been interfering with your glutes!
Me - libial posterior tendinitis - went Boxing Day over foot and continued to run for 2 weeks thinking was just a niggle but was making it worse n worse , not ran since. Pisses lee off as he's getting coaching in the pool but I'm a faster swimmer than him:cool:.

Hoping to start some light runs in a week or two but unsure yet if just keep fit or try race again , it's a young mans game racing and I noticed all the gooduns are too skinny :lol:
Aye, sounds like you're not destined for running mate :)

Lee did admit you were a better swimmer. He says he can throw better than you though :D
(Kidding)

Think I'll be joining you. My first run after 14 days last night stopped after 2 miles as my glute all flared up again. Been limping again today. It must be because I'm approaching the veteran category. . starting to drop to bits :(
Hope it settles mate , you may need to bite the bullet and have another 2-3 weeks out or will drag on and on , it's easy to give other runners advice but very hard to do the wise thing yourself as you naturally want to run especially when running well . Fingers crossed for you

Think I'll be joining you. My first run after 14 days last night stopped after 2 miles as my glute all flared up again. Been limping again today. It must be because I'm approaching the veteran category. . starting to drop to bits :(
Get it seen too, i regret waiting so long. i went to coxhoe to see neil sleeman.

Managed my longest run this year, 7.5 miles! conditions were brutal, wind and rain (went out in shorts and t shirt :cool:). I'm so fat and slow, feels like I'll never get back to where i was.

Get it seen too, i regret waiting so long. i went to coxhoe to see neil sleeman.

Managed my longest run this year, 7.5 miles! conditions were brutal, wind and rain (went out in shorts and t shirt :cool:). I'm so fat and slow, feels like I'll never get back to where i was.
Cheers Dan, going to see someone Saturday morning about it.

Good to hear you're running again.

I saw you cycling through Leadgate a few weeks ago. You and a few lads, some in Suncity Tri tops, were at the cross roads. I passed in my car otherwise I would've said hello. Assumed you were doing some of the C2C route

Cheers Dan, going to see someone Saturday morning about it.

Good to hear you're running again.

I saw you cycling through Leadgate a few weeks ago. You and a few lads, some in Suncity Tri tops, were at the cross roads. I passed in my car otherwise I would've said hello. Assumed you were doing some of the C2C route
We were doing an audax, from seaham to hamsterley via wolsingham and back to seaham. it ruined me.

Think I may be enjoying this running lark. It's getting easier as the weight comes of. And that seems to be an incentive to run more and loose more weight. Albeit still on a treadmill.

Improved my 10k by 5mins. Still woefully slow but 10k nonetheless.

Light nights from next week , try run outside now ? If it's a confidence thing then just keep at it on treadmill for another month , but at some point get yourself outside and will enjoy it more

Light nights from next week , try run outside now ? If it's a confidence thing then just keep at it on treadmill for another month , but at some point get yourself outside and will enjoy it more
Aye it's a bit confidence, just need to get on with it though. I'm not a horrendous weight, so it's not vanity but more that I don't know if I will be ok or not. If that sounds right?

After a frustrating start to the new year with knee and calf problems I managed a new PB at Rising Sun parkrun today.

Still no way near my running club grand prix 5k time mind.

Going to the physio and actually sticking with the exercises he gave me to strenghen my hips, and loosen my knees appear to be paying dividends.

Loving it at the moment and not having to hobble up the stairs after a run.

Roll on Cragside 10k next week

Back