Running Thread 2017

This series of podcasts is 9 weeks of running 3 times per week. It is designed for beginners though so I'd imagine people fitter than I am could probably do it in a lesser amount of weeks
I couldn't run to the end of my street it's embarrassing looking to improve my diet first i should really start on my treadmill as well

I've almost conpleted the BBC couch to 5k course. I'm getting towards the end of that and would like to push on to potentially run a half marathon in the next year or so. Has anyone been at this stage before? If so any tips on progressing beyond 5k would be much appreciated

Try and join a local running group if your time permits. I was in a similar position to you just over a year ago and I love it.

I am now running 35km a week and just pb a 5k in the North Shields poly grand prix with 23:34 this evening.

The variation in the sessions we do reallys helps, I also find running with better runners and the tips I get off them is really developing my running

General rule of thumb is to get 6 months running under your belt before tackling a HM but loads don't & still manage to get round. I'd recommend doing a 10K first though. Have a look on http://www.northeastraces.co.uk loads of options on there & then google a 10k training plan & read a few & devide on one that will fit your available time.

I would echo the words of @Daydream Believer and tackle a 10k, you can extend your runs after your 5k program finishes but remember if your running further and more miles each week take the pace a little slower a lot of in experienced runners think they have to keep to the same pace all the time and end up injuring themselves, build up to the 10k race the same way you have built up your 5k running and have patience with yourself it all comes good in the end if your not injured.

most I've run is 55 miles and the only way I could get it done was by breaking it down into stages so that you were aiming for 10-15 moles ahead at anyone time. to run any decent distance by just laps would mess me up.

I got back out on the roads this week after a year off.

I've gone from 1.3m in 20 minutes on Saturday to 3.6m in 34 minutes this morning.

I am aiming for 5m a day before I go.

Signed up to a local HM this afternoon on a whim that is for tomorrow morning. Did 16km in 1:36 last week so if I equal my HM PB of 2:23 I'll be over the moon, not gone that distance since October though.

Probably be a disaster like but we'll see!

Fastest 10m training run yesterday,just trying to combine putting the effort into a 10k race on the 1st April with the Sunderland half on the 7th May

Did a 5k yesterday here in Sunderland first 2k in under 9 minutes then blew out my arse for the last 3

Back