Running Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

11 and a bit miles today. Pretty hard going with lack of fitness but feeling OK. Trying to figure out a training plan for spring marathons but not easy when I am coming back from injury at the same time. Hoping the fitness comes back in the next 2-3 weeks.

Did 45 minutes easy pace last night to test my lungs after 2 weeks of that chest infection shite that's been going around. Out for an interval session tonight hopefully to get back on schedule for next year.

There were some good times. I was planning to do a sub 40 minute 10k last year but packed in having got to just under 41 mins.
It's a cracking course, couple of hard climbs but some rapid downhill. If you're confident to let yourself go on those bits you can make good headway, prob not the case though if people have shin/calf bother.

Fantastic time mate, well done.
Cheers :p

41 mins is still impressive.
You have to think that you are not just in the top 20% of those running the race, but think about how many folks cant even walk a 10k ! Puts you in a pretty elite group.
That is very nice of you, thank you.

I tend to lose interest after doing any form of exercise for 6+ months. I did my best times around March but then it was too warm for me later in the year and switched to weight training in September.

Now that I know that I'll never be muscley I will probably try cycling next!

Did a shi7e 2 miles this morning. 3 minutes slower than my best !
Dont know what was worse, the tight hamstrings, the pain in my left instep or my wobbling (man) tits !

Either way it was hard work, but a starting point for my first race next year, which thankfully is in April.
Is your first race a 5k or are you going for a 10k?

Last edited:
Getting back to some sort of form lately without really pushing myself. I did 5k today in 21:50, doubt I'll get back to my Sub 4 minute a kilometre like last year, but not bad for a heavy drinking 49 year old.

I'm starting to feel it in my joints now, hip, knees mainly, but driving 2 hours to work everyday here in Barcelona does my hips and knees in was well, stop start for 12 kilometres, the roads are a nightmare.

Its a 10k, but i guess i meant it to read 'my next race', which will be the first race of 2017... if you see what i mean. Ive been running the local races for a good few years now, just had a few months out recently.
10k is a good distance best of luck for 2017.

I tried to do 3 training sessions per week but enjoyed a slow 8 miler on a weekend the most. Hated speed and tempo training and tended to pull something on hill sessions.

Anyone else like to keep a tally of the miles they do? DA posed a question on the stroller site and it seems 50/50 for keeping track.

For me if it's not on strava it never happened, I like to see how I've ran, which areas were slow and which were fast, and I always try to do more than the previous year, in mileage and pb's.

Struggling with plantar fasciitis at the minute. annoying as fuck.
That's odd mate , I've suddenly got bit pain on side (inside) of foot , felt it the past 3-4 days, wasn't sure whether to run through it tomorrow or go for a swim instead at aquatic

Anyone else like to keep a tally of the miles they do? DA posed a question on the stroller site and it seems 50/50 for keeping track.

For me if it's not on strava it never happened, I like to see how I've ran, which areas were slow and which were fast, and I always try to do more than the previous year, in mileage and pb's.

I keep a log now but I'm not too bothered , I don't use strava and not that bothered what others are doing or shouting bout what I'm doing , I hear the same people on FB shouting from the rooftops bout how great their training is, they're mostly gobshites seeking attention

Last edited:
Started 2017 with 11k this morning. Still feeling my way back and ankle not quite right so I think a couple of days off now and just some exercises. Keen to push on though with some proper training so have to strike the balance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back