Running Thread 2015

Only 5 miles a week for last few weeks and very little running in last few months....School hols so decided to do 14 ish on Sunday but then decided on a whim to go out with a crazy Stroller who is doing 31 marathons in 31 days this month on Monday night......Note to self, when doing very little mileage a half mara followed by a 25 miler in two days is not the brightest idea. Last night was slow but my word the last 4 or 5 were a suffer fest and a tad sore this morning :eek::lol:

Only 5 miles a week for last few weeks and very little running in last few months....School hols so decided to do 14 ish on Sunday but then decided on a whim to go out with a crazy Stroller who is doing 31 marathons in 31 days this month on Monday night......Note to self, when doing very little mileage a half mara followed by a 25 miler in two days is not the brightest idea. Last night was slow but my word the last 4 or 5 were a suffer fest and a tad sore this morning :eek::lol:

:eek:

Why don't you run rather than do a session...

getting bored mate with just doing easy runs on own
went and did first ever club session last night, decided beforehand I would just go steady and not risk foot too much , was blowing out o my arse right from the off, suprising how few weeks out knocks your breathing and everything, thanks to @The Butcher for keeping me going

crazy Stroller who is doing 31 marathons in 31 days this month :lol:

Tony Allen, I'm surprised he hasn't been getting more publicity from the Sunderland Echo , to try help raise more money, good on the fella

Last edited:
getting bored mate with just doing easy runs on own
went and did first ever club session last night, decided beforehand I would just go steady and not risk foot too much , was blowing out o my arse right from the off, suprising how few weeks out knocks your breathing and everything, thanks to @The Butcher for keeping me going

Tony Allen, I'm surprised he hasn't been getting more publicity from the Sunderland Echo , to try help raise more money, good on the fella

Thankfully he is getting loads of radio and other media coverage, Echo clearly have better stories to fill their pages ha ha.

Oh and I lied, the last run is actually a 31 mile ultra, he is looking in great shape at the minute to be fair to him

Thankfully he is getting loads of radio and other media coverage, Echo clearly have better stories to fill their pages ha ha.

Oh and I lied, the last run is actually a 31 mile ultra, he is looking in great shape at the minute to be fair to him
he's on radio 5 live at 12 lunchtime on xmas day.

Good night at the strollers Xmas doo last night , didn't realise how much that club raises for different local causes , well done to all involved.
Highlight of night was Dan tearing up his acceptance speech notes when he didn't get stroller of the year

Gonna start running in the new year (I'll be in the Running Thread 2016). Do you guys think a HR monitor would be beneficial to a newbie.. or should I just get myself out there and run!!
No mate, not necessary, just an extra expense for a new runner. Just go out couple times a week steady away and throw in the odd faster burst here n there . If still doing it in 6 week maybe look to join a local club ?

Tried a short track session this morning on my own but still struggling , foot still achey and feel like lost fair bit of fitness and enthusiasm. Jogged home and kicked the dog

Gonna start running in the new year (I'll be in the Running Thread 2016). Do you guys think a HR monitor would be beneficial to a newbie.. or should I just get myself out there and run!!

If you haven't ran for quite a while, even if your general fitness isn't that bad, then you'd probably benefit from doing a couch to 5k programme (google it, there's loads, just look through them until you find one that suits you). There aren't many exercises that pound your joints as much as sustained running & building up gradually allows your joints to adapt gradually wit minimal risk of injury.

Once you've got to the point of being able to run 5k in one go & want to improve your running then maybe look at getting some technology to assist.

I've decided to do the Barcelona half marathon and I'm using Nike running app as a coach, first day 3.8k, no probs, day 2 19.7k, then 2 days rest, boy did I need it. 12.9k today and the last 5k was a killer, still averaged 4:45 per kilometer.

Only 8.6k tomorrow.

Wouldn't bother with the monitor. I've always been told that when starting running, run 3 times a week for 30mins and don't worry about speed or distance. It should start to feel easier after a few weeks and then you can build from there. Good luck

Back