Running Thread 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.142 said:
20 miles tonight. Hard going after a days graft. Felt rotten for the first dozen miles despite going pretty steadily and then found some rhythm and picked it up a bit in the last 8 miles. Was feeling pretty good by the end.

Tapering down for marathon starts now.

Enjoy it. It's the best part.

Managed 4.26 miles this morning and I was pleased with that. Bit chilly and windy but at least it wasn't raining!

Decided to do the Great North 10K in July, so building up for that nicely.

I'm doing the 10k aswell, your not that far off being able to run the 10k if you managed to do 4.26m

Did my first 10 mile training on saturday in 1:32... however, only did 6 mile for a few weeks before that... and now i have shin splints hahaha... absolutely knacking!!.... that will teach me to do too much too soon!!

Anyone got any good remedies? sacked the treadmill off at the gym this week, going to try the cross trainer and see if it's ok to keep fitness up.

Pointless going to doc's / physio etc when I have the SMB at my disposal!! :lol:

Did my first 10 mile training on saturday in 1:32... however, only did 6 mile for a few weeks before that... and now i have shin splints hahaha... absolutely knacking!!.... that will teach me to do too much too soon!!

Anyone got any good remedies? sacked the treadmill off at the gym this week, going to try the cross trainer and see if it's ok to keep fitness up.

Pointless going to doc's / physio etc when I have the SMB at my disposal!! :lol:

Rest, ice, stretch (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/s...hin-splints/shin-splints-stretching-exercises) and try some ibuprofen gel massaged into your sore parts. Does the trick for me.

Depends on the type and if it a correct diagnosis. One type of MTSS (shin splints) is actually minor stress fracture of the tibia and requires lots of rest.

You're right. But they are very rare and also incredibly painful to the point where you can hardly walk. Having said that, my shin splints got incredibly painful before I started getting treatment.

Suffered from shin splints for a long time and I still avoid the treadmill because of it. Mix up exercise with cycling and swimming etc to get enough rest.

Dublin marathon end of October?

Nice and slow 10 miles for me this evening after a weekend of excess. Need to make up for in this week now!

Just realised the Kielder Marathon is around this time - what' it like? A bit hilly for a first timer?

Rest, ice, stretch (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/s...hin-splints/shin-splints-stretching-exercises) and try some ibuprofen gel massaged into your sore parts. Does the trick for me.

Nice one, cheers everyone.... I doubt (more hope) it's the stress fracture, been doing treadmill work for a few weeks on a 14 -15% gradient for some hill work, and I think the 10 mile run just added to that and really. Sacked off the treadmill and going light on the cross trainer now daily, not going to bother running until pain has gone.... Iced it last night and stretching, will give the gel a go to tonight.... Cheers everyone!!!! Hopefully be back out next weekend nice and easy.... Was going to to the 10k on sunday but that's out the question now... gutted!!

Nice one, cheers everyone.... I doubt (more hope) it's the stress fracture, been doing treadmill work for a few weeks on a 14 -15% gradient for some hill work, and I think the 10 mile run just added to that and really. Sacked off the treadmill and going light on the cross trainer now daily, not going to bother running until pain has gone.... Iced it last night and stretching, will give the gel a go to tonight.... Cheers everyone!!!! Hopefully be back out next weekend nice and easy.... Was going to to the 10k on sunday but that's out the question now... gutted!!

The other thing is, when you get back running is TAKE IT EASY and build up slowly.

nightmare, took me nearly3 months to get rid

nightmare, took me nearly3 months to get rid

yeah it's only been 3 days and i'm already wanting to be out!!... hopefully won't be 3 months, hoping just a couple of weeks, left one has settle down a lot now and not much pain at all, right one still hurts a little, but more an annoying pain / dull ache when going up stairs rather than a sharp pain like the other day.

Will definitely be going easy on return, just a couple of miles at a slow pace and take it from there.

Would the SMB recommend getting one of them Gait analysis' done and getting receommended trainers, or am I wasting my money?? (on the analysis not the trainers)

I've had "hyper mobile" feet since i was young.... got insoles made specially but the don't fit anymore, when looking at the soles of my trainers it looks like i overpronate... so any good trainers you would all recomend for this?

yeah it's only been 3 days and i'm already wanting to be out!!... hopefully won't be 3 months, hoping just a couple of weeks, left one has settle down a lot now and not much pain at all, right one still hurts a little, but more an annoying pain / dull ache when going up stairs rather than a sharp pain like the other day.

Will definitely be going easy on return, just a couple of miles at a slow pace and take it from there.

Would the SMB recommend getting one of them Gait analysis' done and getting receommended trainers, or am I wasting my money?? (on the analysis not the trainers)

I've had "hyper mobile" feet since i was young.... got insoles made specially but the don't fit anymore, when looking at the soles of my trainers it looks like i overpronate... so any good trainers you would all recomend for this?

I increased my stretching before a run and purchased some compression tights on the advice of thewper. Didnt 100% fix it immediatley took a few months of easing into it but I dont suffer now at all.

Yup - go for it. My shinsplints are definitely caused by overpronation so my insoles help a lot, although they don't get rid completely.

Cheers for the advice lads!! much appreciated!... Might just sack my Dr's off and come on here on a permanent basis! :cool:

Anyway, for those interested Start Fitness online code is TRACKB2011 - 10% off anything online and doesn't expire until 31/12/2012!!

It's free to have it done in Sweatshop in the Metrocentre (upstairs near Debenhams).

I was running in cheap crap trainers and getting pains in my ankles and knees. They stuck me on a treadmill and took a video then showed me it back in slow motion and showed how my ankles were bulging out to the sides, and he said that would carry up and put stress on my knees and hips too.

He recommended some shoes and did the video thing again and the difference was amazing with my ankles nice and supported. Since running in them, my legs have felt a whole lot better.

Best advice is to get advice on what type of shoe you need and try loads on until you find which brand suits you best. Asics gels are my favourite and I would buy them everytime, but when I took my lad for running shoes, the Nike ones felt most comfortable to him.

Here's another medical question for you - has anyone got hallux rigidus (stiff big toe) and got any tips?

Was referred to podiatry at the hospital and he gave me some insoles but I didn't get on with them at all. They raise my heels up too much so my shoes don't grip round my heels any more and they rub. Tried them in running trainers, walking shoes and heeled court shoes and they all started rubbing. Ended up still having the pain in my toe, plus blisters on the backs of my heels, so I stopped using them :oops:

It's free to have it done in Sweatshop in the Metrocentre (upstairs near Debenhams).

I was running in cheap crap trainers and getting pains in my ankles and knees. They stuck me on a treadmill and took a video then showed me it back in slow motion and showed how my ankles were bulging out to the sides, and he said that would carry up and put stress on my knees and hips too.

He recommended some shoes and did the video thing again and the difference was amazing with my ankles nice and supported. Since running in them, my legs have felt a whole lot better.

Best advice is to get advice on what type of shoe you need and try loads on until you find which brand suits you best. Asics gels are my favourite and I would buy them everytime, but when I took my lad for running shoes, the Nike ones felt most comfortable to him.

Here's another medical question for you - has anyone got hallux rigidus (stiff big toe) and got any tips?

Was referred to podiatry at the hospital and he gave me some insoles but I didn't get on with them at all. They raise my heels up too much so my shoes don't grip round my heels any more and they rub. Tried them in running trainers, walking shoes and heeled court shoes and they all started rubbing. Ended up still having the pain in my toe, plus blisters on the backs of my heels, so I stopped using them :oops:

Nice one... thanks for that... i'll try and have a dodge through (obviously after shin splints have healed or will probably hurt ;)

Unfortunately can't help with your stiff toe, however, i'm sure one of my Dr's on here will diagnose you!... quicker response than the NHS too! :-D

Amazon have got an offer on i just got 25% some Brooks Trance 11's taking the price down to £69 from £93.

First run in over a week and only managed 3 miles before the pain in my knee became too unbearable. Really need to get a sports massage to try and sort out my IT band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back