Running/Cycling Equivalent

Mr.Thunders

Striker
Not a fully lycra's up bike wanker by any stretch but getting out once every two weeks or so for a 30+ mile bike ride.

Before running injuries I would be running 3 times a week plus gym so just looking for some variety in my exercise routine.

I've noticed on my garmin on bike mode it beeps in 5 mile intervals as oppossed to 1 mile when running.

It might sound like how long is a piece of string but if I was running say 10 miles at 8.15 pace what do people consider equivalents when getting on a mountain bike on a trail?

How long does it take people on here to do 20 or 30 miles on a bike?

I averaged 18.2mph on a 34 mile ride. Could have went quicker.

18.2mph is very very impressive mate, well played.

i started cycling 5 weeks ago and i'm averaging 13mph on my saturday 35 mile ride.

has anyone got any decent cycle routes around south tyneside, sunderland, gateshead area? tried the Bowes Railway route but its a bit too rough on my gravel bike.

Last edited:

i started cycling 5 weeks ago and i'm averaging 13mph on my saturday 35 mile ride.

has anyone got any decent cycle routes around south tyneside, sunderland, gateshead area? tried the Bowes Railway route but its a bit too rough on my gravel bike
Mind, I stick to roads.

has anyone got any decent cycle routes around south tyneside, sunderland, gateshead area? tried the Bowes Railway route but its a bit too rough on my gravel bike.
I live not too far from the Bowes Railway route mate and i agree its far too rough for my road bike.

I tend to drop from Eighton Banks into Springwell Village and cycle all the way through and down past the GW golf course, left at the bottom which takes you alongside the golf course to the big round about, if you take the third exist it takes you past follingsby lane and theres somenice flat routes down there, you could ignore that roundabout and kick on towards Heworth Golf Course, down to Pelaw and cycle through the metro station which brings you down towards Wardly, then join the cycle path to Keelmans way and along the Quayside, loop up to Gateshead then along Durham Road on Low Fell. I then cut up towards home but you could continue along to Birtley / Chester le street.

I live not too far from the Bowes Railway route mate and i agree its far too rough for my road bike.

I tend to drop from Eighton Banks into Springwell Village and cycle all the way through and down past the GW golf course, left at the bottom which takes you alongside the golf course to the big round about, if you take the third exist it takes you past follingsby lane and theres somenice flat routes down there, you could ignore that roundabout and kick on towards Heworth Golf Course, down to Pelaw and cycle through the metro station which brings you down towards Wardly, then join the cycle path to Keelmans way and along the Quayside, loop up to Gateshead then along Durham Road on Low Fell. I then cut up towards home but you could continue along to Birtley / Chester le street.

i'll give that a go mate thanks.

The bike you have makes a big difference mate , a mountain bike will be a lot slower than a road racing bike for a starter

Back