Running cables through exterior wall

DaveH

Striker
Has anyone ever ran temporary cables through an exterior wall? How did you do it?

I have a few wildlife and bird box cameras I put out from time to time, but have to run the cables through an open window. I was thinking about putting a hole through the wall and running some standard waste pipe through as a conduit, then I can poke cables through whenever I'm setting up a camera. What I could probably do with is some sort of hinged box on the outside, similar on the inside and something to stuff in the hole for insulation.

I was thinking I could get an outdoor socket enclosure for the outside and just remove the socket. Not sure about the inside. At work where we have lots of cables coming into our fire sealed server room, the contractors have used some sort of fireproof bean bag to block any remaining holes. I've no idea what they are called.

Just wondering if anyone has done similar or has any ideas for how to make it work. If I leave a 50mm hole through the wall, my wife will kill me and we will probably get mice.

Has anyone ever ran temporary cables through an exterior wall? How did you do it?

I have a few wildlife and bird box cameras I put out from time to time, but have to run the cables through an open window. I was thinking about putting a hole through the wall and running some standard waste pipe through as a conduit, then I can poke cables through whenever I'm setting up a camera. What I could probably do with is some sort of hinged box on the outside, similar on the inside and something to stuff in the hole for insulation.

I was thinking I could get an outdoor socket enclosure for the outside and just remove the socket. Not sure about the inside. At work where we have lots of cables coming into our fire sealed server room, the contractors have used some sort of fireproof bean bag to block any remaining holes. I've no idea what they are called.

Just wondering if anyone has done similar or has any ideas for how to make it work. If I leave a 50mm hole through the wall, my wife will kill me and we will probably get mice.
Drill a hole through the wall, send the cable through the hole. Make sure to loop the external cable underneath the hole as it enters the wall to prevent water running down the cable into the hole. Seal the hole with cement or silicone. Do whatever the fuck you want with the outside bit after that. :lol:

If you are not overly bothered about aesthetics, you can get bungs which will fit either side of the pipe to seal it when not in use, with some mineral wool insulation stuffed inside. All removable when needed to be.

Drill a hole through the wall, send the cable through the hole. Make sure to loop the external cable underneath the hole as it enters the wall to prevent water running down the cable into the hole. Seal the hole with cement or silicone. Do whatever the fuck you want with the outside bit after that. :lol:
It is for temporary runs. So if I fancy putting food out for foxes for a few nights, I can run a camera. Cement would be a bit of a bugger for that.
If you are not overly bothered about aesthetics, you can get bungs which will fit either side of the pipe to seal it when not in use, with some mineral wool insulation stuffed inside. All removable when needed to be.
Cheers, mineral wool might well do the job. In an ideal world, I'd have something that could squash up next to the cables so I can insulate and run cables. That would do the trick.

If they’re temporary I’d be less inclined to drill a 5cm hole in the wall.

Can you not go under the windowsill and try and get them between the.

how are they powered, can you use a power bank or something so it’s only one cable going in.

It is for temporary runs. So if I fancy putting food out for foxes for a few nights, I can run a camera. Cement would be a bit of a bugger for that.

Cheers, mineral wool might well do the job. In an ideal world, I'd have something that could squash up next to the cables so I can insulate and run cables. That would do the trick.

There is a product which is designed for this application, it’s called a cable transit;
Logon or register to see this image

They aren’t cheap mind.

Cheers, I'll do some googling for that. I probably only need one a third of the size.

You can get all sizes and they are called off based on a grid (2x4 or 4x6) which are the number of individual cable glands. The image was the only one I could find installed in masonry. From memory, you can also get a round transit for one or two cables only. Good luck!

I'd put a bit plastic 20mm of overflow pipe through then point up with sand cement, drill it from the outside where it suits you through the brickwork mortar joint (where vertical meets horizontal), when you have your cable through stuff around it with wire wool stops any insects/mice trying to get in. Easy to take out and re cable when you want, and point back up if not needed.

I would also suggest drilling the hole slightly downhill from the inside and only ever drill above the damp course. You don't wan't water getting in.

Last edited:

Back