Running A Mile

From Aly Dixon.

Anyone looking to try and improve their mile time give a couple of these sessions a go. Only do one a week ideally 3 days after your long run. You can programme them into most Garmins to tell you when the distances/recoveries are up:

a.) 8 x 400m (60s rest).

b.) 5 x 600m (2 min rest).

c.) 4 x 800m (5 min rest).

d.) 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m with half distance jog recoveries.

e.) 1000m, (10 min rest), 2x500m (4 min rest), 3x300m (60s rest).

Run all your reps at your goal mile pace so if you want to run a 7min mile your 400m time should be 1.44. Etc. Obviously the flatter your route the better.
You can also try adding 6 x 10-15s faster than mile pace at the end of one of your easy runs. Give yourself 90s recovery between each sprint. HINT: use a very gentle downhill to help to get the legs turning fast.

Did the first one tonight. Intense but class. All 8 drills only had a spread of about 5 seconds difference so happy with that (1.30-1.35) . Got a sneaky feeling I'm gonna feel it heavy on my legs in the coming days

Will do the next session next Tuesday

Did the first one tonight. Intense but class. All 8 drills only had a spread of about 5 seconds difference so happy with that (1.30-1.35) . Got a sneaky feeling I'm gonna feel it heavy on my legs in the coming days

Will do the next session next Tuesday

I tried to do 4 x 800m but only managed 3. Still should help me.

Back