Rugby World Cup 2019

I think both Scotland and Englands sporting structure for pretty much all of its national teams outside the Olympics is too mired in class and a British know it all mentality (as seen in most British football managers of a certain generation) to do as well with its resources as countries removed from those issues.

Imagine giving even Japans football team the resources England's has, I'm positive it would be far better in the space of a generation.
I have a small insight into the Scottish RFU structure and it is massively swayed towards the private schools/middle class breeding grounds

I have a small insight into the Scottish RFU structure and it is massively swayed towards the private schools/middle class breeding grounds
Theres still a massive cult around the Borders as well and while it's a fine tradition etc its hardly a reliable finishing school for Intenational professionals

Theres still a massive cult around the Borders as well and while it's a fine tradition etc its hardly a reliable finishing school for Intenational professionals
Was at a "do" in the Borders area last New Year & was speaking to a guy involved with Hawick & junior Scotland team. He spoke passionately about their efforts across state schools & inclusivity. It's not going to happen overnight but I would love to see it happen, for England as well.

Tbf it’s the same still in the rest of the home nations.

Its not as bad as it was when I was a young un but it’s still dominated by private schools and schools in middle class areas.

Just looking at prices ahead of the weekend....England with a 9 point start in handicap and 4/11 in match betting :eek:
way too short surely ?
Love to give them a walloping but going to tight you would think

Just looking at prices ahead of the weekend....England with a 9 point start in handicap and 4/11 in match betting :eek:
way too short surely ?
England, New Zealand, Wales and South Africa all to win is only 6/4. I was hoping for nearer 3/1 for a little lump on.

way too short surely ?

I'm not that confident. On the one hand, Cheika is tactically shit and insists on playing to his own weaknesses and England's strengths; and he doesn't seem to know what backline to play. Jones has a brilliant record against Cheika's Australia.

On the other hand, Australia do have it in them to put in a belting performance and England might struggle if Youngs shits the bed as he sometimes does, and if the team as a whole is off colour. England have had a rest because of the weather cancellation, but that means they haven't had a real challenge in the tournament so far.

I'm leaning towards England but only marginally.

I'm not that confident. On the one hand, Cheika is tactically shit and insists on playing to his own weaknesses and England's strengths; and he doesn't seem to know what backline to play. Jones has a brilliant record against Cheika's Australia.

On the other hand, Australia do have it in them to put in a belting performance and England might struggle if Youngs shits the bed as he sometimes does, and if the team as a whole is off colour. England have had a rest because of the weather cancellation, but that means they haven't had a real challenge in the tournament so far.

yep...that’s why bookies suggesting England by 9 or more points seems very optimistic
Just a nagging feeling that they might produce a big game, and certainly the Aussies have tries in them

yep...that’s why bookies suggesting England by 9 or more points seems very optimistic
Just a nagging feeling that they might produce a big game, and certainly the Aussies have tries in them
Bizzarely I think England's chances improve if Australia produce a big performance, they'll keep their structure and be easier to break down. If they're all over the place, then we'll need to get ahead early and put them out of the game quickly, otherwise they'll just chuck it around and stretch our defence.

I think France will do what they've almost threatened to do in all 3 of their games, which is play well for an extended period of the game, Wales will have to do an amazing job defensively to keep them out.

Bizzarely I think England's chances improve if Australia produce a big performance, they'll keep their structure and be easier to break down. If they're all over the place, then we'll need to get ahead early and put them out of the game quickly, otherwise they'll just chuck it around and stretch our defence.

I think France will do what they've almost threatened to do in all 3 of their games, which is play well for an extended period of the game, Wales will have to do an amazing job defensively to keep them out.

agree that the Aussies will give us more bother with a very unstructured game and chuck it around...visions of the second half against the Jocks this 6 nations...

I’m concerned.

We haven’t been challenged yet and I still think we needed the french to make us wake up.

The Aussies always raise their game at WCs.

My worry is we can’t get through their defence early doors, box kick Ben starts reverting to shitting himself and giving the ball away constantly.

I’m concerned.

We haven’t been challenged yet and I still think we needed the french to make us wake up.

The Aussies always raise their game at WCs.

My worry is we can’t get through their defence early doors, box kick Ben starts reverting to shitting himself and giving the ball away constantly.
We'll smash them!!!

Back