Rugby World Cup 2019

Pools are starting to shape up.

In Pool A any one of Ireland, Scotland and Japan could miss out on making it to the QFs, although Ireland would have to lose to Samoa which is unlikely. Scotland have to smash Russia (likely) then beat Japan without the host nation picking up any bonus points (possible but tough).

Pool B is pretty much settled unless something biblical happens in the Italy-NZ game and SA-Canada game.

Pool C is just about who finishes top between England and France.

Pool D looks settled so long as Wales don't fuck up against Fiji.

Possible quarter finals:

England v Australia
New Zealand v Ireland
Wales v France
Japan v South Africa

In Pool A any one of Ireland, Scotland and Japan could miss out on making it to the QFs, although Ireland would have to lose to Samoa which is unlikely. Scotland have to smash Russia (likely) then beat Japan without the host nation picking up any bonus points (possible but tough).

Pool B is pretty much settled unless something biblical happens in the Italy-NZ game and SA-Canada game.

Possible quarter finals:

England v Australia
New Zealand v Ireland
Wales v France
Japan v South Africa
A typhoon could potentially scupper Ireland's chances if the match were to be abandoned, or so they were saying on the radio tonight.

Possible quarter finals:

England v Australia
New Zealand v Ireland
Wales v France
Japan v South Africa

Nice to hear the sweaties complaining about the last minute penalty Japan got which led to their bonus point try :lol:
Tend to agree that you don't see many crooked scrum feeds penalised but hey ho
Good quarters if they pan out that way. Top one too tight to call as is the France V Wales...love it if France turned them over

Possible quarter finals:

England v Australia
New Zealand v Ireland
Wales v France
Japan v South Africa
If that happens I’d fancy us to beat the cons then check out in the semis I’m afraid

Possible quarter finals:

England v Australia
New Zealand v Ireland
Wales v France
Japan v South Africa

Scotland could still qualify even if Japan get a bonus point, couldn't they? Assuming they get the bonus point win over Russia, it would take them to 10 points. Then they would need to beat japan to finish above them on the head to head. However if Japan got a bonus point, Scotland would need a bonus point win to tie on 15pts and go through. Japan could get 2 bonus points and then still finish above Scotland.

I've got a bet on the Semi Finalists being England, NZ, Ireland and Wales, so hoping Ireland finish top to avoid NZ :lol: Mind, i've been impressed with SA so think that would be a difficult game

Scotland could still qualify even if Japan get a bonus point, couldn't they? Assuming they get the bonus point win over Russia, it would take them to 10 points. Then they would need to beat japan to finish above them on the head to head. However if Japan got a bonus point, Scotland would need a bonus point win to tie on 15pts and go through. Japan could get 2 bonus points and then still finish above Scotland.

I've got a bet on the Semi Finalists being England, NZ, Ireland and Wales, so hoping Ireland finish top to avoid NZ :lol: Mind, i've been impressed with SA so think that would be a difficult game

My head hurts now but I think you're right
A typhoon could potentially scupper Ireland's chances if the match were to be abandoned, or so they were saying on the radio tonight.

This latest report suggests it's moving and may miss the Ireland game but hit England's last game with France. A cancelled match and draw for that match would mean England top the group and get several days extra rest.

And then it could properly hit Scotland's last game with Japan, which would put Japan through in 2nd assuming Ireland's game goes ahead, and knock Scotland out. Which would be hilarious

Last edited:
My head hurts now but I think you're right

This latest report suggests it's moving and may miss the Ireland game but hit England's last game with France. A cancelled match and draw for that match would mean England top the group and get several days extra rest.

And then it could properly hit Scotland's last game with Japan, which would put Japan through in 2nd assuming Ireland's game goes ahead, and knock Scotland out. Which would be hilarious
Can you imagine the level of whinging from the Aussies if our game got cancelled and we had 2 weeks to prepare for the QF with them? It would be the first time I'd be actively seeking out interviews with Michael Cheika.

SA been impressive again so far, not much of an opponent but impressed with the speed they are playing and passing wide

Can you imagine the level of whinging from the Aussies if our game got cancelled and we had 2 weeks to prepare for the QF with them? It would be the first time I'd be actively seeking out interviews with Michael Cheika.

Typhoons are biased mate, everyone knows it
SA been impressive again so far, not much of an opponent but impressed with the speed they are playing and passing wide

Might hit the ton

Last edited:
Good start for Scotland. They need to win by 37 here with bonus point to go ahead of Japan on goal difference which would mean it's a winner takes all when they play Japan

Good start for Scotland. They need to win by 37 here with bonus point to go ahead of Japan on goal difference which would mean it's a winner takes all when they play Japan
Good first half. They need a strong start to the second to nail the bonus point early then build. It will be tough to get the 37 point lead if they get sloppy and Russia get a try of their own but it is doable.

Back