Rugby union fans..

There was a while after john hall took them over and club turned pro, that mags saw them as part of the newcastle united "sporting club"; when I think he was also involved in a basketball club as well; and the club logo was a variation of the football one, but with falcons instead of seahorses....sorry haven't read through post and most of this probably SEB

Maybe a bit dodgy back then wearing that shirt around (some areas) of sunlun.

But see no issue now at all i reckon

Last edited:

Try watching a game of league live, it’s much faster than you think. Go and watch Hull FC or Kingston Rovers (assume from your handle you are Humberside based), you’ll enjoy it
this. go for KR. they play in red and white and arent the MK dons of league

There was a while after John Hall took them over and club turned pro, that mags saw them as part of the newcastle united "sporting club"; when I think he was also involved in a basketball club as well; and the club logo was a variation of the football one, but with falcons instead of seahorses.

Maybe a bit dodgy back then wearing that shirt around (some areas) of sunlun.

But see no issue now at all i reckon
yep. he took durham wasps ice hockey and gosforth rugby club. sunderlands basketball club became the newcastle eagles (although he didnt buy them til after they moved).

Analysis: The moment Sir John met his match

Last edited:
The Falcons trained at The Academy of Light a few weeks ago.
We should boycoutt the next home game and shout at Jacky White's market.

Donald out :evil:

Is it ok to support Newcastle Falcons if you're an SAFC fan?

Asking for a friend.
Aye. Most Falcons ST holders don't actually live in Newcastle anyway hence why they just refer to them as 'The Falcons'.

I used to go a lot as a bairn as we had family member who worked for the company that sponsored the Premiership at the time then went off it for quite a while before getting back into it a few years ago when they were in the Championship. Had a ST there for nearly 4 years now.

I admit I don't know a lot about rugby union but has Sunderland ever been represented in the world of rugby like Newcastle Falcons, etc?

I admit I don't know a lot about rugby union but has Sunderland ever been represented in the world of rugby like Newcastle Falcons, etc?

Sunderland has a rugby club that play out of Ashbrooke - one of SAFC's former grounds. I've only ever been there for the cricket, like.

No. The games only been professional since 94.

Sunderland 1st would have been up there in the same competitions as the falcons predecessors Gosforth RFC though.

Sunderland has a rugby club that play out of Ashbrooke - one of SAFC's former grounds. I've only ever been there for the cricket, like.
Cheers mate, I guess rugby has never hit the big time in Sunderland then.

No. The games only been professional since 94.

Sunderland 1st would have been up there in the same competitions as the falcons predecessors Gosforth RFC though.
Cheers mate, is it ever likely that Sunderland would ever have a professional team?

Last edited:
Cheers mate, I guess rugby has never hit the big time in Sunderland then.
There's loads of clubs in the NE. West Hartlepool used to be in the premiership. Unfortunately Rugby is very much who has the most money, and plenty times you see a club fly up the system and come back down when the funding runs out. Alas, Sunderland has never been one that has been blessed with such funding, but I can assure you the falcons does a lot across the North East for junior rugby.

Whenever I'm at home I'll try to get along to a Falcons game with my dad if the Lads aren't at home. I've certainly never felt like there was any association with the football club - certainly from a fans perspective. They are playing a game at Sid James (Northampton?) later this season - if I was up North I wouldn't hesitate. Both of the European competitions (Challenge cup and Champions cup) are being played there next year - I've got tickets and that will be an absolutely top weekend irrespective of who is playing.

It's a great day out - and very different from football. I live in London and get down to Harlequins with my father in law often. I've got 2 little lads and when they are old enough I'd sooner take them there than along to Brentford or Fulham....

Aye like everything else, it's down to money.
It’s a well ran club Sunderland. They’ve three senior teams, a ladies team and several colts teams at various levels.

Think they are well backed and I know they get a lot of funding from the RFU but also have quite a large membership and some canny local sponsors.

Ashbrooke is a cracking set up.

Did my level 2 coaching badges there. Couldn’t get over the set up they had. We had Tamara Taylor (one of England’s best female players) leading a few of the sessions. Said she was based there quite a lot.

Whenever I'm at home I'll try to get along to a Falcons game with my dad if the Lads aren't at home. I've certainly never felt like there was any association with the football club - certainly from a fans perspective. They are playing a game at Sid James (Northampton?) later this season - if I was up North I wouldn't hesitate. Both of the European competitions (Challenge cup and Champions cup) are being played there next year - I've got tickets and that will be an absolutely top weekend irrespective of who is playing.

It's a great day out - and very different from football. I live in London and get down to Harlequins with my father in law often. I've got 2 little lads and when they are old enough I'd sooner take them there than along to Brentford or Fulham....
Agree with what you say about taking the kids along to the game. It's a great environment for them and when I've taken my 2 along, they've loved it. My older lad loves having a laugh with opposing fans of a similar age, I think enjoying that element of the game has helped him to enjoy it for what it is rather than it all being about the result.

Agree with what you say about taking the kids along to the game. It's a great environment for them and when I've taken my 2 along, they've loved it. My older lad loves having a laugh with opposing fans of a similar age, I think enjoying that element of the game has helped him to enjoy it for what it is rather than it all being about the result.
They’d need to able to laugh watching that shambles mind......

;)

Back