Rugby or football?

Some of my dads mate, safc fans of yesteryear follow hordon rfc allover.

Asked us along but never make it, often free or cheap travel with the team, free scran n either free or cheap pints. They fecking love it. Often sounds more enjoyable than a day at the sol tbf.

Horden is a cracking club. Not many posh boys there mind :lol:

Never played rugby but love watching the big Rugby Union internationals.
Great occasions.

Can’t get into Rugby. I went an England game at Twickenham last year.

The swing low sweet chariot chorus around the stadium was cringeworthy.

The game was okay but not as dynamic or emotive as football.

Prepared for rugby fans to point out where I’m wrong.
Why would it be cringe worthy?

Last edited:
Rugby is a shit sport, no skill involved, just blokes throwing and catching before running into each other.....the only skill is the fella who kicks the ball through the posts, but he's still not good enough to play football....

People who say this about any sport are completely dull. ‘Football is just kicking a ball into a net’.

Every sport is simple if you remove the nuance from it and ignore the fact you have an opponent stopping you from doing what you want.

Is there a disproportionately small amount of clubs in the NE compared to other areas? Cos there aren't many for what's a popular sport...

Senior Rugby in the area seems to be struggling at the moment. 30 year ago Sunderland had 2 clubs and now only has one. Back then Sunderland Rfc could field 5 sides, now they're putting out 2 I believe. This is the trend in the N.E. I understand.

Junior Rugby is thriving though, but it appears most disappear to Uni, get jobs that work saturday or move on to study beer/women full time, rather than move through to the Senior sides.

The answer to your question though is yes, probably.

Last edited:
I was brought up in a rugby family. I was a reasonably decent loose head prop, got to county colts level, but didn't have the desire to constantly train throughout the week and play in places hours away.

My brother was a tight head and made it in the pro ranks in its early days and my da was an internationalist in the 50's.

Having said that, he encouraged us at any sport, and went to watch us play at football and also to the odd Sunderland game. He was a Spurs fan and could remember the game Danny Blanchflower talked about at Roker.

Every sport has its canny and dull side. For example, I much prefer watching rugby league to union because in union it now takes so long for the scrums whereas league seems to be more fast moving.

Can't see why you can't choose any sport and like them as much as each other. But then I'm a wrang'un.

Senior Rugby in the area seems to be struggling at the moment. 30 year ago Sunderland had 2 clubs and now only has one. Back then Sunderland Rfc could field 5 sides, now they're putting out 2 I believe. This is the trend in the N.E. I understand.

Junior Rugby is thriving though, but it appears most disappear to Uni, get jobs that work saturday or move on to study beer/women full time, rather than move through to the Senior sides.

The answer to your question though is yes, probably.

30 blokes turning out each week in a city the size of Sunderland isn't great.

Don’t actually mind rugby union as a game, I detest the self imposed, morale high ground that the majority of boorish, rugby union fans take over Football fans.

Love and adore them both. Just wish (Domestic) Rugby took place through tne summer so I could have more time for both.

Rugby definitely has more wankers in it though.

You know fuck all
It's fake man! :lol: It's obviously a good fake but you can see at 3:22 with the quick zoom/focus as the bloke's position changes and the bin also moves before the ball hits it fully.

I guess you believe this is real as Nike did 'tricks' like this way back in 2005 so moving on 8 years, it's obvious the quality is going to be better! ;)

Skip the shite at the beginning up to 1 min 30 secs

:edit: Just in case you come back to say it's real, here you go. Look at his standing position to the vertical white line mark behind him on the wall and position to the bush. You can clearly see him duplicated while shifting position and his head is now inline with the 2 lines and he's deeper into the bushes as they are now in front of his left leg.

Logon or register to see this image

In case you still don't believe me then the ball completely disappearing in 3:09 is another giveaway! :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:

Back